Factory Response- M20 Empennage Issue

sellis

Mike, I feel the same.  You can do any inspecting you want to. I sure do. But as far as logging it, only thing an owner can do is log FAR 43 "preventative maintenance". Oh, and that Bendix ignition switch AD, that can be signed off by the pilot.

But if an AD comes out that refers to a SB, its going to take an "appropriately rated" mechanic to do that one.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Trey @ MAPA:

"Mitch, yes if the a/c owner wishes (as long as he is not affected by the AD) he can complete M20-313A and make an entry in the a/c log and be done. If the SB becomes an AD, the an A&P must comply. In either case I would notify MAC so the can keep their records straight.

Trey"

Quote: Mitch

From Trey @ MAPA:

"Mitch, yes if the a/c owner wishes (as long as he is not affected by the AD) he can complete M20-313A and make an entry in the a/c log and be done. If the SB becomes an AD, the an A&P must comply. In either case I would notify MAC so the can keep their records straight.

Trey"

Disagree.  The Owner or pilot is responsible for the airworthiness of the aircraft and is responsible for the correct log entries, compliance with AD's, required inspections, etc.  The owner can do the SB, an AD, even remove the wing, disassemble it, and reassemble it.  However, only an appropriately rated mechanic may make maintenance record entries and "find it in airworthy condition" for it to be returned to service. The exception is preventative maintenance listed in FAR part 43.

Trey is right in the fact the owner can do the required inspecting The SB is not required by law, anyways. However, it needs an Airframe certificate to sign the maintenance records, per item 1.12 in the SB if you chose to comply and show it in aircraft records.  The pilot may return it to service.

What about SB's which require tools, such as retorquing the nose gear bolt?

You guys are making this way too hard.  There are six or seven screws that hold the fairing on, for peace of mind remove the screws and look.  If it looks good, put the fairing back on and do nothing.  Remember you don’t need to comply with a service bulletin.  However, if you want it documented in your log book then when you do your annual (your IA/AP has to go on there anyway), hand him or her the SB and ask to have it complied with, mail the card in and noted in your log book.  I can’t imagine there would be no extra charge for that.

If an AD gets issued for your model, then you’ll need to take it to your AP.

Quote: tony

You guys are making this way too hard.  There are six or seven screws that hold the fairing on, for peace of mind remove the screws and look.  If it looks good, put the fairing back on and do nothing.  Remember you don’t need to comply with a service bulletin.  However, if you want it documented in your log book then when you do your annual (your IA/AP has to go on there anyway), hand him or her the SB and ask to have it complied with, mail the card in and noted in your log book.  I can’t imagine there would be no extra charge for that.

If an AD gets issued for your model, then you’ll need to take it to your AP.