Factory Response- M20 Empennage Issue

sellis

I'm new at this too. I'm assuming that once I recieve the AD, I must get the inspection done before further flying. Curious though if you are allowed a flight to the inspection location, or does it have to happen in my hangar? I'm also assuming I can do the inspection myself and have an A&P with IA sign off? I was hoping it was going to be an SB and could wait until annual in a few months, but oh well.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the AD is worded the same way as the current one for R and TN models, it will require the A&P who has done the inspection to send a report to Mooney and to the FAA (form is simple and on page 4 of the Mooney SB 20-313A).

Rather unusual but what do I know

Quote: DaV8or

I'm new at this too. I'm assuming that once I recieve the AD, I must get the inspection done before further flying. Curious though if you are allowed a flight to the inspection location, or does it have to happen in my hangar? I'm also assuming I can do the inspection myself and have an A&P with IA sign off? I was hoping it was going to be an SB and could wait until annual in a few months, but oh well.

I'm sure I can't sign this off but it didn't keep me from doing the inspection and returning the card. I read the bulletin as having 10 hours of flight time before the inspection is due. I made myself responsible for this inspection found no issues. Next I'll get it signed off by a mechanic. I did find this little bit of information:

"Service Bulletin
Issued by manufacturer to advise of service problems and solutions
. The solution is not mandatory as with an AD. Maintenance Records. The owner or operator of an aircraft shall have an aircraft inspected as prescribed and shall between inspections have defects repaired as prescribed. Additionally, he shall ensure that maintenance personnel make appropriate entries in the aircraft records indicating that the aircraft has been released for service.

Any record entry must include a complete description of the work done, date, and name of mechanic. If the mechanic signs the entry it indicates that the aircraft is returned to service. This signature is a pilot's assurance that the aircraft has been returned to service with the work completed."

No work was required in my case.

So let me try to get this straight. This SB 313A can be complied with by the owner alone. However, it's to become an AD, in which case an A & P has to do it? Seems like me doing it by myself now is a waste of time if I just have to do it again with an A & P.

Am I missing something?

So let me try to get this straight. This SB 313A can be complied with by the owner alone. However, it's to become an AD, in which case an A & P has to do it? Seems like me doing it by myself now is a waste of time if I just have to do it again with an A & P.

Am I missing something?

Am I missing something?