Do you run your Bravo LOP?

Do you run your Bravo LOP?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Running a TIO-540-AF1B lean of peak takes some effort in engine component tuning and in learning the technique and power settings that work for your particular engine. Do you run your Bravo LOP?

• Yes
    • Sometimes
    • No
    • I tried it but couldn’t make it work
    • I tried it but didn’t like the way the engine ran (CHTs, TIT/EGTs, engine roughness)
    • I tried it but didn’t like the performance loss

I’ve run my Bravo LOP since I bought it in 2016, following the guidance provided here on Mooneyspace by @DVA and @Awful_Charlie to get my engine set up for it. I run Tempest fine wire plugs and went through four iterations of GAMI injector swaps to get a GAMI spread of 0.3gph. I have the magneto timing checked every 50 hours.

I typically run 30/2200 and 40 degrees LOP at ~1585 TIT with all individual EGTs at least 30 degrees LOP. Fuel flow averages 13.8gph and CHTs are in the 330’s. At 16,000’ this yields 143KIAS with true airspeeds in the 175 knot area, +/-. My technique is to set 30/2200 once reaching cruise altitude and airspeed and stay full rich with the cowl flaps open until CHTs drop and stabilize, then pull the mixture straight to ~13.8 and then adjust to get 1585 TIT. CHTs stay in the 330’s and the engine runs smoothly.

I can run 32/2200 and get a few more knots, about 150KIAS, but the 40 degree LOP TIT gets into the 1600’s and the CHTs rise to the 350-360s. Those temps are fine, but I’m able to run cooler and am seldom in that big of a hurry so I run at the lower power setting. I like the noise reduction I get at 2200 RPM.

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Blasphemy Rick. If your going to post anything about TAS and you own a Mooney, dont forget the obligatory embellishment of at least 15%  

Yeah, that’s why I like to to reference KIAS at given altitudes. It’s more apples to apples with less variables than the KTAS numbers folks like to use. If anything I usually understate my KTAS to worst case temperatures, as in my above post.

Cheers,
Rick

6 hours ago, Rick Junkin said:

I’ve run my Bravo LOP since I bought it in 2016, following the guidance provided here on Mooneyspace by @DVA and @Awful_Charlie to get my engine set up for it. I run Tempest fine wire plugs and went through four iterations of GAMI injector swaps to get a GAMI spread of 0.3gph. I have the magneto timing checked every 50 hours.

Just curious - what's the proper timing for our Bravos? 20? 25? I'm planning on having this checked next time I'm in the shop.