Fuel Selector Valve difficult to reach

Hello, does anyone have a tip? A friend of mine would like to use our 1961 M20E, but he is to big to be able to lean down to operate the fuel selector valve on the floor.
Hay anyone had this problem? Suggestions are welcome?

Thank you very much!
Stefano

3 minutes ago, Stefano said:

Hello, does anyone have a tip? A friend of mine would like to use our 1961 M20E, but he is to big to be able to lean down to operate the fuel selector valve on the floor.
Hay anyone had this problem? Suggestions are welcome?

Thank you very much!
Stefano

Welcome to MooneySpace!  Here is one example, but many people build one for themselves:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/mooney05-15255.php

Also, make sure you are not using the tool to overpower a selector that's difficult to turn.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Yoga? :) Honestly I’ve never understood the concern. Is it wider pilots? 

Not necessarily a lot wider [side to side], but certainly thicker pilots [front to back] have trouble reaching the floor between their feet to switch tanks. Sometimes it's just a loss of agility, or back trouble, or too much belly, or a combination of factors.

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Not necessarily a lot wider [side to side], but certainly thicker pilots [front to back] have trouble reaching the floor between their feet to switch tanks. Sometimes it's just a loss of agility, or back trouble, or too much belly, or a combination of factors.

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

For me, it is height. I sit 3 sometimes 4 notches from front even with 3" pedal extenders (I am 5'5"). Thus, my body is close to the yoke and no room to bend down.

15 minutes ago, Justin Schmidt said:

For me, it is height. I sit 3 sometimes 4 notches from front even with 3" pedal extenders (I am 5'5"). Thus, my body is close to the yoke and no room to bend down.

Wow. I'm 5'11" and fly one notch from full forward. It's not difficult, whichever arm u reach with, just lower that shoulder and stretch. The more weight I gain, the more difficult the bending gets; losing weight makes it easier again.

I have a slim figure and I don't find it hard. Though switching right tank to left tank is easier to do with the right hand than with the left hand, but that requires repositioning right leg due to the center column. 

Switching in either direction, I need to disconnect the shoulder harness momentarily while switching tanks to reach the selector with a shoulder twist than pushing on the yoke. Not a biggie.

I should just cut a PVC tube like the rest of you did.

Where do you find PMAed PVC pipes?

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Wow. I'm 5'11" and fly one notch from full forward. It's not difficult, whichever arm u reach with, just lower that shoulder and stretch. The more weight I gain, the more difficult the bending gets; losing weight makes it easier again.

Guessing you have longer arms than I do. I can disappear into the crowd or corn better haha

7 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

In my C I never detached my shoulder harness and didn't have an inertial reel.   Even with it off I find it awkward to get to.  I made a pvc handle.

My answer to this problem was to fabricate this fuel selector extension.  It is signed off by a DER.

The cream-colored one is what is now in the plane.  

I have the original which I could sell if anyone is interested.

Works very well.  The selector is held down by 4 machine screws, and the step (larger diameter) in the shaft which matches a step in the shell.  The rotation is assured by a slot and roll pin and set screw.

John Breda

Fuel Selector - 2.jpg

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

That's mighty fancy, John, but how many times do you hit that big thing sticking up out of the floor? The attraction of the PVC tools is low cost, no involvement of DERs or STCs, and it quickly stows out of the way when not in use for 10 seconds every hour.

I never hit it at all.  It is close enough to the seat that there is plenty of room.

The advantage is that should there be a need to switch tanks urgently, I do not need to look for anything else.

John Breda

18 minutes ago, Hank said:

That's mighty fancy, John, but how many times do you hit that big thing sticking up out of the floor? The attraction of the PVC tools is low cost, no involvement of DERs or STCs, and it quickly stows out of the way when not in use for 10 seconds every hour.

I never hit it at all.  It is close enough to the seat that there is plenty of room.

The advantage is that should there be a need to switch tanks urgently, I do not need to look for anything else.

John Breda