Fullerton (KFUL) to Torrance (KTOA) IFR with ATC Comms

Skates97

The "May Gray" weather in the LA Basin makes for great IFR practice. Typical ceilings are between 1,200-1,400' with tops around 2,000-3,000. I took advantage of it to fly IFR from FUL to TOA. FUL was overcast at 1,400' and TOA overcast at 1,000'. Tops for the flight were at 2,200' which gave time in IMC prior to the turn to intercept final.

The video contains all comms between myself and ATC, the sections without comms specific to my plane have been sped up between 5-800% to shorten the length of the video.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Skates97 said:

The video contains all comms between myself and ATC, the sections without comms specific to my plane have been sped up between 5-800% to shorten the length of the video.

Nice video!  What is the "harness" device you are wearing?  Looks like it is in addition to the seat belt shoulder harness?

4 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

Nice video!  What is the "harness" device you are wearing?  Looks like it is in addition to the seat belt shoulder harness?

Life jacket, Spinlock Deckvest 6D (on recommendation from @Hyett6420). Easily converted from auto to manual inflate, extremely comfortable, you don't even notice you are wearing it. I knew on the approach I would be over the water and also on departure from TOA back to FUL. Not to mention that if I had to ditch, the best place is going to be just off shore in the water. It is more expensive than a lot of the other ones out there, but if I have to go in the water off the coast I feel much better about having it than the others that are commonly used. It has a crotch strap, spray hood, and lifting loop. Andrew could speak better than I can to the benefits of it compared to others.

https://us.binnacle.com/product_info.php?products_id=15056

• Thanks 1