DeltaHawk DHK Engine Gains Certification

25 minutes ago, EricJ said:

The radiators for the liquid cooling have to go somewhere.

This is the prototype in a Cirrus 3 years ago.  I think the radiator is on the bottom roughly where our muffler/heat exchanger usually sits.  See the video at 7:15.  I assume the coils on the side are intercoolers.  Regardless the nose of the cowl potentially can be tighter with less frontal area which translates to speed and efficiency.

• Like 2

I would love a diesel/jet a engine in the mooney.

having the 20 to 30% extra range would eliminate my need for extended range tanks.

turbo would let me get up higher and go faster

plane would burn the same fuel as most of my cars, win win.  

If i win the lottery, i'm putting diesel something in the mooney.

On 6/2/2023 at 10:15 AM, kris_adams said:

Looks to be ~75 pounds heavier than the IO360...love everything other than that.  I'm sure I could offload fuel based on lower fuel burn but still not thrilled with the weight.  Wonder if there are other net savings or other hidden weight gains

I would expect that to be a weight and balance problem, but it doesn't look like they made any effort to keep the engine aft in the video below.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2023 at 4:34 PM, 1964-M20E said:

I'd take the 180HP version since it is turbo charged and super charged you get the 180HP full time.  If the price point is reasonable and we can get it for the Mooney I think I'd be in.

FWIW, my understanding is that the supercharger doesn't do anything except help the motor start, it just freewheels from the turbo under normal operation.  The turbo is actually required for the induction airflow, but I'm by how much the intake pressure is actually boosted.

22 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

FWIW, my understanding is that the supercharger doesn't do anything except help the motor start, it just freewheels from the turbo under normal operation.  The turbo is actually required for the induction airflow, but I'm by how much the intake pressure is actually boosted.

I know nothing at all about this motor, but if it’s a two stroke like the old Detroit Diesel, it has to have a blower to run. It was common on those engines to also Turbocharge them for increased power, although I’d suspect in this application it’s more to keep sea level power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ADetroit_Diesel_Series_71 look under role of the roots blower

On edit, I’m pretty sure the roots blower could be replaced by reed valves, but the old DD was a WWII design and I don’t think reed valves existed on engines then, but if so then this engine could lose quite a bit of weight and expense by ditching the roots blower for reed valves

1 hour ago, A64Pilot said:

I know nothing at all about this motor, but if it’s a two stroke like the old Detroit Diesel, it has to have a blower to run. It was common on those engines to also Turbocharge them for increased power, although I’d suspect in this application it’s more to keep sea level power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ADetroit_Diesel_Series_71 look under role of the roots blower

On edit, I’m pretty sure the roots blower could be replaced by reed valves, but the old DD was a WWII design and I don’t think reed valves existed on engines then, but if so then this engine could lose quite a bit of weight and expense by ditching the roots blower for reed valves

I was researching Deltahawk about 20 years (!) ago when I first started thinking of an RV project.  It looks like they took down a lot of the technical description on their website, but I vaguely recall the idea was that it was similar to other 2-stroke diesels except both the intake and exhaust were ported, e.g. no exhaust valves. 

The supercharger is only used for starting and as a failsafe if the turbo fails.

The supercharger is used to scavenge the engine, in the same manner as a Detroit Diesel. The turbo is used to provide boost at higher altitudes, so it will maintain sea level performance into the flight levels.

here is some more info:

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/07-26-2019-deltahawk-diesel-makes-first-flight-to-airventure

Edited by philiplane

• 10 months later...