Pulsing LED recognition lights

Hi all,

We've got the new Whelen LED recognition lights, and I'd like the ability to pulse them, with hopefully minimal installation cost.

We have the overhead light switch panel in a 1997 M20R, and I'm guessing that's where the wires go. Is there a replacement switch that could have off/pulse/on positions instead of just off and on? That would be ideal.

Barring that, what else is out there for pulsing modern LED lights? As far as I can tell, the MaxPulse unit is about it, and it seems that would need to be installed in the panel and involve running extra wires to get there.

What other solutions are there?

My Pulselite system has the Recg Lite switch on the panel with all the other Landing, Strobe, Nav, etc. switches.  Then there is a second toggle switch down on the center console (sort of by the flaps) that switches between Pulse and On.  I have probably only used that switch once or twice since the original installation. 

Up until now there was always the heat issue while on the ground, so I just turn on the Recognition Lights and want them to pulse.  Now that there is no heat issue, I may be turning them to just ON more often for taxiing on those dark nights at non-towered fields where there is little or no taxi lighting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeeBee said:

I installed my Max pulse in the overhead, behind the switch panel. Makes for a short wire run. You really don't change the pulse rate so when I flip the recog switch on, they pulse.

So you don't have the control visible at all? Or am I misunderstanding your description?

I would like the ability to switch between solid on and wig-wag, but I certainly don't need all the options the MaxPulse provides. I'm more interested in a nice clean (and easy) install.

1 hour ago, flyingcheesehead said:

So you don't have the control visible at all? Or am I misunderstanding your description?

I would like the ability to switch between solid on and wig-wag, but I certainly don't need all the options the MaxPulse provides. I'm more interested in a nice clean (and easy) install.

No, it is visible, but you have to look up on the overhead by the air control to see it.

30 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

Are you sure about the price?  At least for GA vs the big guys?  They don't list the price on the website, but I thought it was still in the $400 range.

Nope, it went up.

Sky Geek lists it at just under $1200 .

• Like 1

I didn't get a price, but when I talked to my avionics shop about it, they said the last Pulselite they installed was over $1K and they now only recommend MaxPulse because the installation is also less expensive since it can be panel mounted.

On 5/17/2023 at 5:15 PM, flyingcheesehead said:

Hi all,

We've got the new Whelen LED recognition lights, and I'd like the ability to pulse them, with hopefully minimal installation cost.

We have the overhead light switch panel in a 1997 M20R, and I'm guessing that's where the wires go. Is there a replacement switch that could have off/pulse/on positions instead of just off and on? That would be ideal.

Barring that, what else is out there for pulsing modern LED lights? As far as I can tell, the MaxPulse unit is about it, and it seems that would need to be installed in the panel and involve running extra wires to get there.

What other solutions are there?

You can also Oder them that automatically pulse 

I bought mine from Aero LED. There in my Acclaim and I have two light per wing . The inside light I bought the pulsating the 2light is my landing light and does not pulsate . I would contact the manufacturer and the pricing the not overly expensive 

16 hours ago, GeeBee said:

I will as soon as I get my airplane back from Aerocomfort. I am on my way to pick it up now.

I’d be interested in seeing this install too. Is it easier to install the max pulse controller up there since you don’t have to run wires from the overhead light switches all the way down to the panel? I am going to have it installed with my new LED recog lights at annual, so I’m curious how your install went & looks!

• Like 1

I just got my plane back from Annual.  I had the LED recognition lights installed at the time.  I have them wired to pulse one taxi light and the opposite recognition light.  I can turn the pulse light off and turn the recognitions lights on separately.  I'm using the Pulselight system we won one year at Homecoming.

Link to video showing the Pulse Lights in action.

https://youtu.be/sw6ZScJkmmI

• Like 3

Dangit Don, one post ago I had it all figured out what I was gonna do!

But that is really sharp, I like the idea of alternately pulsing the taxi and recognition lights. How are your switches set up? Do you still have the split L&R taxi light switch? Is there a separate "Pulse" switch? Are your light switches on the panel or are they the newer overhead style?

I wonder if the MaxPulse is capable of this?

Edited by flyingcheesehead