Need a Pre-Buy In Corona, CA

Hi everyone. I am based out of Corona Airport and looking for a Mooney mechanic to do a pre buy on a plane (1964 M20E) that I am interested in.  Any suggestions?

I would also need transition training if I buy the plane. I spoke with Paul Kortopates already (he is based out of San Diego)... but wondering if there is any Mooney Specific instructor closer to me that you guys can recommend. 

Thank you

1 hour ago, ZentRose said:

Hi everyone. I am based out of Corona Airport and looking for a Mooney mechanic to do a pre buy on a plane (1964 M20E) that I am interested in.  Any suggestions?

I would also need transition training if I buy the plane. I spoke with Paul Kortopates already (he is based out of San Diego)... but wondering if there is any Mooney Specific instructor closer to me that you guys can recommend. 

Thank you

You’re closer to @kortopatesthan I am,  but that’s who I do my recurrent training with. Definitely worth the flight. 

Kurt at Expert Aircraft in French Valley (F70) might be able to help you with the prebuy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZentRose said:

Thank you

Jay mason out of KSNA. He works out of pacific flight, but did help with my instrument when I started flying my mooney. He knows them very well.

Edited by Niko182

If you’re settled on a Mooney, there’s a few down at KCRQ. I could walk you around my 67F and tell you everything I’ve done to it or had to do to it the last 20 years.  Mine has an electric gear but there are many diehard manual gear fans.  I actually wanted a E then found my F.  You used to be able to rent a J here but I haven’t seen it in a while.  

10 minutes ago, DCarlton said:

If you’re settled on a Mooney, there’s a few down at KCRQ. I could walk you around my 67F and tell you everything I’ve done to it or had to do to it the last 20 years.  Mine has an electric gear but there are many diehard manual gear fans.  I actually wanted a E then found my F.  You used to be able to rent a J here but I haven’t seen it in a while.  

Pinnacle used to have a J. Not sure if they still do.

Hi,

Not sure about who local to you to recommend for a Mooney-specific pre-buy inspection.

If anyone has a resource in the So-Cal area that would be great to know.  In regard to transition training I hear that Paul Kortopates is highly recommended.

I have worked with Donald E Kaye (he flew down from Nor Cal) and Mike Jesch out of KFUL for my transition training.  Both are really great to work with.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ZentRose said:

Thanks for your help guys @Niko182 @ilovecornfields. I appreciate it. 

Does anyone locally have a manual gear mooney M20E? I have never actually flown in one (only sat in them on the ground). I am wondering whether or not I should spend more for a later model Mooney or go forward with the pre-buy on this one.  

Have you ever had any shoulder issues? I've flown a Manual bar C and the gear is quite easy to move but if you have mobility issues, or anything similar, I'd recommend the electric gear. The manual gear will be cheaper to own, and it is a bullet proof system. I believe its the only gear system that doesn't have an emergency backup. It is very reliable.

9 hours ago, kortopates said:

201DD
It’s still around, but privately owned at F70 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George was my primary instructor in the early 90’s. When my son wanted his first lesson I tried to see if he was still available but he wasn’t taking new students so we flew with one of his instructors instead. I did get to catch up with him and he mentioned that he was trying to get rid of the Mooney because it was much more maintenance-intensive than the Cessnas. I guess he finally did.

45 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

George was my primary instructor in the early 90’s. When my son wanted his first lesson I tried to see if he was still available but he wasn’t taking new students so we flew with one of his instructors instead. I did get to catch up with him and he mentioned that he was trying to get rid of the Mooney because it was much more maintenance-intensive than the Cessnas. I guess he finally did.

Honestly to the best of my knowledge, I think he has sold 201DD multiple times and its always ended back on their ramp! I remember the first I knew of was a young pilot that bought it in the early 2000's to do his instrument training. Within about 2 years it was back at Pinnacle. By my count, this is at least the third try to find it a new home. Don't know why, only that its a high time very early J model.

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1

I set up the pre-buy for today and organized a flight instructor to fly the plane over to the mechanic. The problem is we have been unable to get ahold of the owner to make sure it is insured. My current airplane is going to be sold next week. I will probably be renting for awhile. 

This is the plane if anyone knows the owner (I am budgeting for an engine overhaul):

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=MOONEY&model=M20E&listing_id=2416232&s-type=aircraft

16 minutes ago, ZentRose said:

I set up the pre-buy for today and organized a flight instructor to fly the plane over to the mechanic. The problem is we have been unable to get ahold of the owner to make sure it is insured. My current airplane is going to be sold next week. I will probably be renting for awhile. 

This is the plane if anyone knows the owner (I am budgeting for an engine overhaul):

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=MOONEY&model=M20E&listing_id=2416232&s-type=aircraft

For future reference, there is 'Non-owned aircraft insurance' that you can buy, and that I assume your instructor has.  That being said, it seems pretty risky for the buyer to be the one doing the transportation for pre-purchase inspection--if some damage or failure occurs to the plane, who's responsibility is it?  It seems safer to ask the seller to transport it and reimburse him for fuel, time and any additional transportation costs that you agree on.  That way, if somethin happens on the way there, you're only at risk for that amount instead of a demand to pay for an open-ended repair bill.

Have you looked at GMax?  They're in Texas, but they're the biggest Mooney broker and reseller, and most here see Jimmy Garrison as a stand up guy.  I did buy from him several years ago, and he posts here every now and then.  I noticed he has this M20E in inventory:

https://www.gmaxamericanaircraft.com/inventory/?/listing/for-sale/219228295/1965-mooney-m20e-super-21-piston-single-aircraft?dlr=1&dscompanyid=6946&settingscrmid=614667

Edited by jaylw314

30 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

For future reference, there is 'Non-owned aircraft insurance' that you can buy, and that I assume your instructor has.  That being said, it seems pretty risky for the buyer to be the one doing the transportation for pre-purchase inspection--if some damage or failure occurs to the plane, who's responsibility is it?  It seems safer to ask the seller to transport it and reimburse him for fuel, time and any additional transportation costs that you agree on.  That way, if somethin happens on the way there, you're only at risk for that amount instead of a demand to pay for an open-ended repair bill.

Have you looked at GMax?  They're in Texas, but they're the biggest Mooney broker and reseller, and most here see Jimmy Garrison as a stand up guy.  I did buy from him several years ago, and he posts here every now and then.  I noticed he has this M20E in inventory:

https://www.gmaxamericanaircraft.com/inventory/?/listing/for-sale/219228295/1965-mooney-m20e-super-21-piston-single-aircraft?dlr=1&dscompanyid=6946&settingscrmid=614667

I agree. I am probably going to pass on this plane. They are pushing me to bring my mechanic to the field. This gives me a bad feeling. In the process of selling my own plane, I have been very accommodating with potential buyers. 

I did look at that plane and requested the logs via email. I will follow up with Jimmy. 

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

foothill-

I asked them if they could do a weight and balance and ifr cert on my airplane. They said sure, any time next week (today is Friday)

when I asked if they could come 5 miles down the road to my hangar at KPOC they said they were booked months out. 

last year I also had to buy a nose gear tube from them. It was 40% more than anywhere else. 

all this to say, these people, despite being an MSC suck, and that is NOT an 85k airplane. 

Edited by chriscalandro

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/19/2023 at 5:58 PM, chriscalandro said:

foothill-

I asked them if they could do a weight and balance and ifr cert on my airplane. They said sure, any time next week (today is Friday)

when I asked if they could come 5 miles down the road to my hangar at KPOC they said they were booked months out. 

last year I also had to buy a nose gear tube from them. It was 40% more than anywhere else. 

all this to say, these people, despite being an MSC suck, and that is NOT an 85k airplane. 

Yeah the agreed starting point was $70k on the one at Foothill after I reviewed the logs. The one at GMAX is similar (not worth asking price since the engine is run out) but I don't think they will negotiate much. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/19/2023 at 9:32 AM, ZentRose said:

May I ask who you found to do the pre-buy? I'm trying to schedule a PPI for a 74 M20F that is currently at Foothill at Cable Airport.