Prop & Mixture at Landing

hais

Mike Busch advocates not going full rich and fine. Argues it is easy enough to advance all levels on a go-around.

I thought, sure, but not if you have verniers (btw, I firmly believe verniers is the sole reason Mooney and the TTX couldn't compete against SR22...now please don't send the folks with the pitchforks my way :) ). 

Now I was just reading John Deakin's articles. He advocates the same, but his was a Bonanza. 

Got me thinking: maybe It's just me and I'm letting my disdain for verniers get in the way of great technique.

Question: do you leave the controls pulled out? If so, how does that play out when you bounce at landing and need to go around? Can you apply the power before the next bounce? 

I have a quadrant, so no vernier. Every landing has one lever all the way back against the stop and the other two all the way forward against the stops. Its worked for me and my Mooney a couple thousand times,

• Like 2

I am actually installing a vernier in my 231. In the 231, very small and stable changes are needed when operating LOP at cruise. Like a tenth of an inch on the stick. Way too easy to over or under shoot. The idea that you are not going to be able to put full power in for a go around because you have to push a button is just silly.

Edited by jlunseth
  • Like 1

I like vernier controls. My throttle has a friction lock (twist) no button. Works, fine just don’t leave completely loose or it will creep out in climb if you take your hand off. I leave the mixture set for wherever it was for smooth operation in descent.  That would likely put me at best power in the event of a go around. The hand full of times that Ive had to go around, I’ve just pushed the mixture rich and twisted the prop back to full. No need for drama. Just be methodical.

• Like 1

What’s wrong with Verniers?

Maule had them on all three controls, throttle too, at first I didn’t like it then figured out all you had to do was push the throttle, that automatically unlocked it and you could get throttle just as fast as a non Vernier one, once you get used to it and get an airplane without one you will miss the fine control it gives, I do anyway.

But I can’t believe this question, I promise you, no matter how careful you are one day something will happen that will cause a right now go-around, one that no matter how smart or safety conscious you are couldn’t be avoided, whether it be an animal that crosses in front of you or a sudden microburst that blows you off to the side of the runway on short final, but something will happen that will take every bit of skill you have to go-around right NOW, sure it might not take but a few seconds to go from right to left on those three controls but you may not have time, and I bet in a real no crap Emergency you won’t, you’ll grab a fist full of throttle, then the reasoning part of your brain has to kick in to realize why full power isn’t there and only then start grabbing mixture and prop and by then it could be too late.`

Besides what’s the advantage of not going full forward with the controls? On final if you go full forward with the prop it doesn’t rev up the motor, it only enables full RPM if you grab a bunch of throttle. 

That’s really the question, I know what happens if you’re not full forward, but what does not going full forward give you? Why do something that could possibly be a problem

Notice all the guys saying you don't need them forward, fly airplanes with big fat airfoils, tricycle gear and oleo struts? Fly an airplane with bungees, a little wheel in the back or doughnuts, add a little speed and you might revise your thinking. Flying Lazy-boys can omit a lot of things.