Catalina Island

Hey folks, My wife wants to fly over to Catalina Island. I have never flown over there. Its a quick flight for me. Probably about an hour KBFL? Will be flying a C172.

My question is:

Is there anything I should know about flying over there? Anything quirky or something I should know before going? I use Foreflight and seems pretty simple and shows no issues, but I would like to know first hand experience just to be sure. Planning on going one of these weekends, probably next Saturday or Sunday for brunch. 

Edited by Jorge0272
Adding aircraft type

I haven’t been there in years. A long time ago when I was a teenager my dad gave me the keys to the plane and told me I could fly anywhere except Catalina so that’s obviously where I went. Some thoughts:

Single engine over water, likely out of gliding distance from land.

Runway is on a mesa so if you land short/long that can get you into trouble.

Hump in the middle tends to bother people because you might not be able to see the end of the runway.

Landing fee.

Bison burgers were really good.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Edit: Here’s a good video from AOPA

https://youtu.be/SKxe3C5-15A

Its recommended not to do a straight in. Plan to touch down before the first taxiway. Doesn't matter which way. If you do that, I couldn't imagine of a way you could run out of runway. Its a pretty easy place to land. Just go in with the knowledge that the illusion that you're running out of runway when you touch down is significantly more prominent than you're used to.

4 decent ways to get there from Tehachapi.

Fly over the bravo. KTSP D-> KAVX at 11,500. Doing this will make it that you are within glide distance of land at every point over the water, (if you're in a Mooney)

Then you got the Coastal route, the special flight rules route and the Hollywood park route. These options will give you chance of a nice swim. Positive side is that there isn't a shortage of boats in between AVX and TOR, so if you do lose an engine, aim for the nearest boat.

• Like 1

We had a somewhat contentious thread on this topic a couple years ago: see here:

In my opinion, going with a CFI the first time is a great way to ensure a fun low stress visit; especially if the pilot is low time. Pilots unfamiliar with the airport can become a bit overly fixated on the main obvious hazard of avoiding coming in low and slow and instead come in too high and fast and can't get down; leading to some mishaps going off the end of the runway. Mishaps occur on both landing and departures. 

I've taken a number of pilots over, including the pilot in the prior thread, if you'd like an experienced instructor along.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Pilots unfamiliar with the airport can become a bit overly fixated on the main obvious hazard of avoiding coming in low and slow and instead come in too high and fast and can't get down; leading to some mishaps going off the end of the runway.

Possibly less likely in a 172.

4 hours ago, kortopates said:

We had a somewhat contentious thread on this topic a couple years ago: see here:

In my opinion, going with a CFI the first time is a great way to ensure a fun low stress visit; especially if the pilot is low time. Pilots unfamiliar with the airport can become a bit overly fixated on the main obvious hazard of avoiding coming in low and slow and instead come in too high and fast and can't get down; leading to some mishaps going off the end of the runway. Mishaps occur on both landing and departures. 

I've taken a number of pilots over, including the pilot in the prior thread, if you'd like an experienced instructor along.

In light of this information I’d recommend as your route of flight: KFBL->KSEE (pick up Paul)->KAVX.

One of my fiends flew his Bonanza over when they had a celebration after the runway was repaved. He said a beautiful Baron came in too fast and damaged the gear on a hard landing, bending both props and damaging the wing. CFI ballast would have probably prevented that.

• Like 1

@kortopatesI will ask the club I am in to make sure they do allow me to take the plane to Catalina. If so, I will let you know and we can schedule something.

I used to fly quite often into a short field (2400FT) surrounded by water with no issues at all, BUT that was a while ago. Just got back into flying after a 10 year hiatus. I want to go a few times before I am comfortable on my own. 

51 minutes ago, Jorge0272 said:

@kortopatesI will ask the club I am in to make sure they do allow me to take the plane to Catalina. If so, I will let you know and we can schedule something.

I used to fly quite often into a short field (2400FT) surrounded by water with no issues at all, BUT that was a while ago. Just got back into flying after a 10 year hiatus. I want to go a few times before I am comfortable on my own. 

no problem. You're welcome to DM me if you'd like to do it. The field isn't even really short, just unique because its ~1500' on top of hill at both end so you don't have the usual cues to judge your height above the runway. Plus it has the high point near the center so you can only see the first half. 

I went in there several times in my m20c, been there half a dozen now in my twin Cessna T310R.  

it’s not a difficult airport to land at, it’s hyped up damn hard and I think that screws pilots up.  It’s a 3000’ runway.  It’s plenty long.  There’s big markers on the sides with distance remaining.  If you touch down before the first taxiway, you’ll see a big 2.  2000 feet to go.  Then you hit the “hump” and you can’t see the other end of the runway.  Then you’ll come over the hump and see a 1, 1000 feet to go.  In a 172, you could still take off and land again.  

It’s not a bad idea to take a CFI or another experienced pilot if you’re not comfortable, but it’s just another runway.  

• Like 2

As previous poster said, it has a hump 2300' from the end of 22.  Runway 22 has a 2.1% upslope for the first 2300'.  Conversely, runway 4 has a 2.1% downslope for the last 2300'.  

Take Paul up on his offer.  There are usually 1 or 2 planes on the south parking area waiting for insurance adjusters or parts due to misjudgment.

Larry

• Like 2