Price List! - everything in my current panel

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

Looks beautiful just the way it is! But since everyone else is going to be giving you suggestions to tweak it a little - here's my 2 cents.

Thanks for the inputs Lance. I had thought about moving the annunciator front and center and don’t recall why I left it in the original position. I’m gonna think on that again. (Just saw a post from Art that reminded me why I did this - I wanted to keep the G3X as high as possible) A benefit of some extra space at the bottom left of the panel is it will be a good place to put my iPhone mount. I fly from an uncontrolled field and am always fumbling with the phone when calling for my clearance.

All the equipment is in hand now after a long order lead time wait so I’ll be staying with what I’ve got. A 275 would be nice, but I actually prefer the simplicity of the G5 as a backup. The 650xi vs 750xi was a conscious and considered decision based on the integration with the G3X and Foreflight and the idea that I’ll be using the G3X for as much data entry as possible. Also one of my objectives was easy access to all functions from the right seat, hence the comm panel and transponder.

As for the TKS panel location, I harken back to a previous life of HOTAS ( hands on throttle and stick) convenience and put everything at my right hand that I expect to access in flight. My focus is function over aesthetics, but you’re right, it would look better centered.

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Id figure out with the screen in split screen mode, where the PFD will be centered and center it on the yoke. I can’t imagine you’ll use full screen mode very often.

Edit: I’d also install a panel mount compass and remove the factory hanging compass.

Good points Tom, and thanks for your input.

I played around with the PFD positioning and decided I liked this arrangement best for my access and functionality desires for the G3X, G5 and WX-950. I’d have to move the G5 to the left side of the panel if I shifted the G3X to the right, and that would violate my “right hand access” rule. Ok, it’s more of a guideline than a rule.

As for the compass, Hector at Aero Comfort just sent me a beautifully repaired and upholstered glare shield - with the original compass location. That’s it in the picture in the first post. That ship has sailed!

Cheers,
Rick

2 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Also since you are going all-Garmin I would spend a small amount extra and put the dedicated Smart-Glide switch on the panel.

Missed this the first time - the Smart Glide guarded switch is there, right above the throttle control and below the TOGA button.

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 9:18 AM, LANCECASPER said:

Also since you are going all-Garmin I would spend a small amount extra and put the dedicated Smart-Glide switch on the panel.

hmmm, maybe on a panel with no Mode Controller? the 507 has LVL button with a blue border that activates smart glide if held for 3 seconds

Easy solution to the speed brakes issue.   Switch to Electric Speed Brakes.

I said EASY, not CHEAP. :)

It was a huge Easter egg to find that this had been done to my plane, but not mentioned in the ad or conversations about the plane. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rbp said:

hmmm, maybe on a panel with no Mode Controller? the 507 has LVL button with a blue border that activates smart glide if held for 3 seconds

Acknowledged. Smart Glide can also be initiated through the 650xi.

The beauty of the dedicated red guarded button is that when your reptile brain takes over in the moment your engine quits it only takes one push on the big red button to put everything in motion while you regain your wits and start focussed troubleshooting on the engine while George points you at the closest field and establishes best glide. 

Cheers,
Rick

11 minutes ago, Rick Junkin said:

Acknowledged. Smart Glide can also be initiated through the 650xi.

The beauty of the dedicated red guarded button is that when your reptile brain takes over in the moment your engine quits it only takes one push on the big red button to put everything in motion while you regain your wits and start focussed troubleshooting on the engine while George points you at the closest field and establishes best glide. 

Cheers,
Rick

What does it do if there’s no airport within gliding distance? 

8 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

What does it do if there’s no airport within gliding distance? 

From the GTN xi manual:

Smart Glide Function

Functionality changes based on whether or not a suitable destination airport is

within the estimated glide range.

Suitable airport within glide range:

Configures Map to show pertinent glide information, including

Smart Glide Range Ring and arrival AGL

Replaces existing flight plan with a direct glide route to a suitable destination

airport

Provides a list of alternate airports that are within the estimated glide range

Indicates the best glide speed for the aircraft at gross weight

Triggers autopilot flight director modes to target configured best glide speed

and follow the GPS Smart Glide direct-to route1

Alerts pilot if glide destination falls outside the Smart Glide Range Ring

Allows direct tuning of emergency transponder code 77002

Tunes standby COM to destination CTAF or tower frequency

CDI scale is set to 0.30 nm

No suitable airport within glide range:

Configures Map to show pertinent glide information, including

Smart Glide Range Ring

Indicates the best glide speed for the aircraft at gross weight

Triggers autopilot flight director modes to target configured best glide speed

and level the wings1

Allows direct tuning of emergency transponder code 77002

Tunes standby COM to emergency frequency 121.5

Provides altitude voice callouts for 2,000, 1,000, and 500 ft AGL

1 Requires a GFC 500/600 autopilot.

2 Requires a compatible transponder that can be controlled from GTN Xi.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rbp said:

the G3X also has an emergency button

Also acknowledged. There are multiple ways to engage Smart Glide. The one that takes the fewest brain bites and least amount of time and systems knowledge is the big red button - lift the guard and push.

The back story is I hadn’t planned to install either the 650xi or 750xi. I was going to go with a GNC 355 and GNC 255A and use the G3X as my primary interface for everything. I was reading about the Smart Glide capability and mentioned it in passing to my wife and she said “I want that!” Now, you need to understand that my wife is a reluctant flyer and has never asked for anything to be in the airplane. Further conversation with her around the “disabled pilot” scenario we had been practicing revealed she thought it would be an excellent idea to have a single button she could push that would fly the airplane to an airport with the engine out, and she wanted one. And she said it was well worth the cost difference between the 355 and the 650xi.

So a single button it is, nice and big and red and different from any other switch on the panel so it’s easily identified and pushed. No buttonology knowledge or push-and-hold requirements. For that extremely unlikely event that both I and the engine fail at the same time.

She’s happy. And we’re getting an awesome new panel. :D

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 3

• Rick Junkin changed the title to Price List! - everything in my current panel
  • 1 month later...