Stormscope

Greetings,

The stormscope in my 1998 M20M has stopped working properly.  The avionics shop reports that there is no longer a facility that repairs these.  Has anyone else dealt with this and come up with a solution (other than buying a used one)?  I have XM and ADSB weather, but I like the more immediate information that the stormscope provides.  

Thanks,

Mark

42 minutes ago, Mark Cline said:

Greetings,

The stormscope in my 1998 M20M has stopped working properly.  The avionics shop reports that there is no longer a facility that repairs these.  Has anyone else dealt with this and come up with a solution (other than buying a used one)?  I have XM and ADSB weather, but I like the more immediate information that the stormscope provides.  

Thanks,

Mark

I found these guys online,years ago.  No direct experience.  

https://www.valentineaviation.com/

This note on the front page (my emphasis):

Please contact us by email or phone for the current pricing and availability for the WX-500 system, components, and install supplies. We also have processors, displays, and antennas available for the WX-950 and WX-1000 systems. 

Due to the lack of demand, age, and support for the WX-7, WX-8, WX-9, WX-900, WX-10, WX-11, and WX-12 series  Stormscopes, we no longer support them

Lately I've been researching the differences between Stormscopes and Strike Finders.  Stormscopes all seem to come in at about 9-10 lbs including display, antenna and processing unit.   Strike finders weigh only under 2 pounds total (incl. antenna).  Given that their performance is similar (decent in azimuth, not great in range), and one shouldn't use them to slalom through convection, I'm thinking about "upgrading" to a Strike Finder.

6 hours ago, Mark Cline said:

Greetings,

Thanks,

Mark

No idea what model you have but this guy advertises on Barnstormers:

Repair of backlight, power, most other issues, no replacement screens.
Contact Keith Peshak - AVIONICS DESIGN ENGINEER
located Bastrop, TX 78602 United States
Telephone: 512-636-0851

1 hour ago, Fly Boomer said:

No idea what model you have but this guy advertises on Barnstormers:

Repair of backlight, power, most other issues, no replacement screens.
Contact Keith Peshak - AVIONICS DESIGN ENGINEER
located Bastrop, TX 78602 United States
Telephone: 512-636-0851

Keith rebuilt a BFG WX 900 for me. It now has a backlight and works great.  

• Like 1

Lately I've been researching the differences between Stormscopes and Strike Finders.  Stormscopes all seem to come in at about 9-10 lbs including display, antenna and processing unit.   Strike finders weigh only under 2 pounds total (incl. antenna).  Given that their performance is similar (decent in azimuth, not great in range), and one shouldn't use them to slalom through convection, I'm thinking about "upgrading" to a Strike Finder.

Nothing is lighter, nor better and takes up less panel space than the WX-500 since it displays on an existing MFD or GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kortopates said:

Nothing is lighter, nor better and takes up less panel space than the WX-500 since it displays on an existing MFD or GPS.

At 2.6 lbs for processor and antenna, it is pretty light.  On the down side the cost is a bit more than 2 amu's/lb.

On 5/2/2023 at 12:47 PM, Mark Cline said:

Mine is a WX-950.  Thanks so much. 

Don Valentine is great to work with - highly recommended

People foolishly remove their perfectly-working stormscopes when they do a panel "upgrade". That means you can many times have a spare one on the shelf in case yours goes bad.

5 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Don Valentine is great to work with - highly recommended

People foolishly remove their perfectly-working stormscopes when they do a panel "upgrade". That means you can many times have a spare one on the shelf in case yours goes bad.

This