KRHV - C83 - 1O3 - KRHV 4/28/23

Hi All,

Thanks to the recommendation from @ilovecornfields to take N43CA to Jetstream Avionics in Lodi, I was able to set up a visit within a couple weeks of my inquiry about low audio transmission from the GTN750.

Snuck away from work on a beautiful Friday and had a quick stop at Byron (C83) for fuel, my son's training had gotten us pretty low on both tanks.  Fuel there was $5.95/gal for 100LL, better than most stops in the area.  I wasn't the only one looking at fuel prices, and got to meet a gentleman from KRHV flying his Diamond over.

The approach at Lodi is a bit strange, where the highway runs right along the approach end of 26, and I didn't have as large a threshold as I'm used to lately vs. KRHV.  Also, take care for landings and takeoffs, it is a bit lumpy as well...coming to a stop was a bit more exciting than I had been planning!

At Jetstream (which is just off the approach end of Runway 30, so you have to taxi over from the usual 26 and go around behind a few hangars) I was able to meet up with  Richard, Cameron and Taylor Kiesz and they spent about an hour plus working through transmission volume and quality as well as internal intercom side-tones on both my primary GTN750 and secondary SL30 radios.

They made quick work of cleaning up my settings and on LiveATC N43CA sounds much clearer and at higher volume than before.  Many Thanks to all of you to help me out!  They also do Avionics installs, and had another Mooney M20J in their shop that just got a Dynon/Garmin panel that I am coveting!  They also do full Garmin installs, and have got me seeing what nickels and quarters I can find in the couch for some upgrades.

At the same time I was able to meet up with @brad and his beautiful '76 M20F about his SkyOx system.  Thank you for the conversation and support! There was at least one other Mooney that took off while we were chatting, but I didn't catch a picture or the N-number, we almost had a mini-fly in.

After the radio work, I had lunch in the re-opened Lodi Airport Cafe, which was packed and really good salads and was generous with the Lemonade.

I then pre-flighted and flew back to KRHV from Lodi, with no issues talking to NorCal near Livermore (which had been one of the radio concerns we had identified).

In all a great day of flying.

Hope you all are having good travels out there as well!

R.Katz

N43CA

IMG_7620.jpeg

At the fuel island at C83 Byron.

IMG_7621.jpeg

At the Jetstream Aviation hangar in Lodi.

70439987866__6A2A9446-85B2-4891-B5AA-0F13A5908FD5.jpeg

N43CA's new portable O2!

IMG_7634.jpeg

The Lodi Airport Cafe from Transient Parking just off the approach end on Rwy 26.

IMG_7636.jpeg

N43CA near another Mooney at Lodi in Transient Parking.

Edited by katzhome
Photos, captions.
  • Like 5

Russell, It was great to speak with you on Saturday.  I'm glad to hear about your experience at Jetstream Avionics as I've been looking for a local shop ever since Aerial Avionics closed down.  Hope to see you and your son at some fly-in lunch sometime soon.  Adam

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 12:31 PM, 201Mooniac said:

Russell, It was great to speak with you on Saturday.  I'm glad to hear about your experience at Jetstream Avionics as I've been looking for a local shop ever since Aerial Avionics closed down.  Hope to see you and your son at some fly-in lunch sometime soon.  Adam

Great to see you too Adam!  Looking forward to more fly ins too!

Hey Russ, thanks for sharing this. I'm a new Mooney owner in KRHV and also looking for some reliable shops in the area. I would love to meet y'all in person some of these days. I went to Byron this weekend for some fuel but to my wallet's despair the price went up to $6.50 .

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, birdofjoy said:

Hey Russ, thanks for sharing this. I'm a new Mooney owner in KRHV and also looking for some reliable shops in the area. I would love to meet y'all in person some of these days. I went to Byron this weekend for some fuel but to my wallet's despair the price went up to $6.50 emoji24.png.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Hi @birdofjoy!  We are over at Q-3 shelter at KRHV, love to meet you in person as well!  I did see the Byron price went up this weekend, looks like KLVK or points south for gas this weekend.