Turbo overhaul

keithmiller

I own a 2009 Acclaim S and am the 2nd owner sine 2019… plane runs great but discover at annual today the small crack on the fin of number 4suddenly has tripled in length running down toward the plug. Continental is sending me a whole jug by Friday . So here is the question since pulling exhaust and basically pulling most of the turbo and plumbing loose this is my plan. We are going to be down about 3 weeks since also replacing O2  bottle due to life time limit , engine time 850 we talked to main turbo today and they recommend 1000 hrs for overhaul so sending them early but not cheap 3500 each ….it’s hurts but a year early and piece of mind 

2 minutes ago, keithmiller said:

No but we fly night , IFR , over  mountains several times during the year so I tend to try to keeps things in tip top shape.

If there is no indication of a problem, I would be concerned that an overhauled turbo might introduce a new problem.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, keithmiller said:

Turbos and waste gate sent to Main turbo in California and completed and returned in under two weeks . I talked with the owner and he told me he considers the turbo needs to be inspected by 1000 hrs 

What was the outcome from the inspection?  And, if you are comfortable sharing, the price?