Deer running across the approach end of the runway during a night landing. Crazy!

Fly_M20R

5 hours ago, kortopates said:

Is the runway fenced off, or does that not prevent deer getting on the runway?

So glad it was as a miss!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Paul,

No, it isn't fenced off. It's in a private airpark. Shrug.:wacko:

Thanks!

Chris

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/29/2023 at 7:48 PM, Fly_M20R said:

Although it is not deer season there are deer around the airpark and a few of them decided to run across the runway as I was landing the other night!! Close call!

Chris

That's the first time I've sausage a thing   :D

I had it happen on take-off at 5 a.m. at 5C! (Boerne Stage Airport near San Antonio). It passed in front just after I lifted off. Very fortunate.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

That's the first time I've sausage a thing   :D

I had it happen on take-off at 5 a.m. at 5C! (Boerne Stage Airport near San Antonio). It passed in front just after I lifted off. Very fortunate.

We have been fortunate!! Glad you didn't have an emergency as you were lifting off!

Several years ago a buddy who flies a Cirrus SR22 managed to decapitate a deer with one of the main gear during a night landing.  Because it was a Cirrus, the factory had to custom-design a repair to the damaged composite components, and he was out of commission for months.  Of course the deer was permanently out of commission.  After that we always made it a point to ask him if he had murdered any more of Bambi's relatives lately.

7 hours ago, whiskytango said:

Several years ago a buddy who flies a Cirrus SR22 managed to decapitate a deer with one of the main gear during a night landing.  Because it was a Cirrus, the factory had to custom-design a repair to the damaged composite components, and he was out of commission for months.  Of course the deer was permanently out of commission.  After that we always made it a point to ask him if he had murdered any more of Bambi's relatives lately.

Hi whiskytango,

That was really unfortunate for your friend. Glad he did not have a bad accident on landing and hopefully was able to stay on the runway.

Chris

• Like 1

Out of KPHF...this is a fenced in commercial airport.    I've had deer run across the runway when on short final several times....from that distance they look like rats running across the floor.

We also have turkeys that loiter around the runway during mating season - big birds.

Night flying once had an encounter with a formation of Canadian geese at 700ft off the departure end of a nearby airport - made me reconsider casual night flight.