Favorite Texas Destinations

T. Peterson

Hello all,

I want to invite all to post their favorite Texas and surrounding area destinations. I know there are wonderful places on the coasts, New England and the mountains, but I am in this thread trying to keep it within 4 or 500 miles of the Dallas area. LA, AL, MS, MO, AR, OK and of course TX are of particular interest. Thank you!

I will put in a plug for KPLK, Branson, MO. A very accommodating FBO with rental cars  right next door.

Branson is a favorite destination of mine offering a plethora of clean entertainment options. If you have never been there you owe it to yourself to visit this beautiful area in the Ozarks!

On 4/30/2023 at 8:17 AM, T. Peterson said:

I will put in a plug for KPLK, Branson, MO. A very accommodating FBO with rental cars  right next door.

Branson is a favorite destination of mine offering a plethora of clean entertainment options. If you have never been there you owe it to yourself to visit this beautiful area in the Ozarks!

So that is considered North Texas. ???  :) :)

So it seems the best destinations in Texas are not in Texas. I flew through Texas yesterday, I will be flying back across Texas on Monday. Where to stop for gas and lunch? I stopped at Brownwood on the way out because they had $4.85 gas, but we brought a sack lunch because we were in a hurry to get to the rental car place before it closed. We will be chasing the sun on the way home, so we can have a more leisurely lunch on the way back.

Costal Texas is very nice so that is a given. Hill Country is also a nice flight too (Austin/San Antonio et.al.). I picked some places within easy reach of my Mooney. I’m sure there are lots of places near the pan handle and west in Texas. Hope others chime in…

-Don

So it seems the best destinations in Texas are not in Texas. I flew through Texas yesterday, I will be flying back across Texas on Monday. Where to stop for gas and lunch? I stopped at Brownwood on the way out because they had $4.85 gas, but we brought a sack lunch because we were in a hurry to get to the rental car place before it closed. We will be chasing the sun on the way home, so we can have a more leisurely lunch on the way back.
Uvalde UVA, Fredericksburg T82 and Stinson SSF have restaurants on the field. Stinson is a historic airport with a museum. Llano AQO and Lockhart both have really good BBQ nearby, Lockhart has a crew car to get to Black's, Coopers in Llano will come pick you up at the airport if you call them.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, bcg said:

Uvalde UVA, Fredericksburg T82 and Stinson SSF have restaurants on the field. Stinson is a historic airport with a museum. Llano AQO and Lockhart both have really good BBQ nearby, Lockhart has a crew car to get to Black's, Coopers in Llano will come pick you up at the airport if you call them.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info!

Uvalde UVA, Fredericksburg T82 and Stinson SSF have restaurants on the field. ..

Gate 12 at CLL is great on field for lunch. LBX (Lake Jackson) has an awesome restaurant about 32 seconds walking distance from the tie downs.

SJT has a restaurant on-field that’s been there since at least the 90s though a few years ago it changed owners.

Burnet is just east of AQO and there’s walkable options. Pretty sure everyone knows about Hangar Cafe @ T82. The diner at Brenham closed again earlier this year. I’ve heard Lufkin has food on field, but can’t confirm.

https://flightsforbites.com/ is a fresh attempt at building a crowdsourced $100 burger site.

*I’m based at SSF and fly for food as a hobby.

18 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Stop in Fredericksburg or Lockhart

• Like 1

The Red Barn Cafe in Sulphur Springs (KSLR) is a very good place to eat and is an easy 5 minute walk from the FBO.

On another note, the Big Bend National Park is beautiful, but I have only been there on my motorcycle. Do any of you have experience flying into any of the local airports? I notice Alpine has a public airport and there are several private ranch airports, but I have no flying experience in that area at all.

6 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The cheap bastard in me won out. First leg is KASD - 5R8 for lunch. Then on to E41 for the last cheap fuel, then home to KCHD.

Phew! You have some flying to do tomorrow! I checked your route to see if you were going to be anywhere near F41, but you are well south. I’m off tomorrow so was going to try to talk you into lunch, but we are well out of your way.

Fly safe and have a wonderful time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2023 at 3:56 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

May or may not be a destination stop, but there's a friendly FBO with good brisket burritos at Pecos (KPEQ). We stop there for gas sometimes going between L.A. and Dallas or Austin.  

This is what happens when your Mooney is down and you take a Not-a-Mooney.

7D13491E-0507-435A-96F5-99B23317179A.jpeg

Huge Thumbs up to Innovative Turbine Solutions https://www.innovativeturbine.com/ in Slidell LA. Awsome repair facility. I was AOG and they got me right in and we got it fixed. And the price was more than reasonable. Very talented bunch of guys!

When I took off into the clag first thing Monday morning, the gear would not come up. I got on top and Otto was flying nicely and got out the manual and tried everything and they would not come up. I then told N. O. approach I needed to return to Slidell. When it was all said and done it was the factory connector on the power pack pressure switch. Oh well, should have borrowed a Mooney. But thanks David for letting me borrow your new baby.

• Like 1

I enjoy flying out to KMRF or E38. Spend the night or enjoy Big Bend for a couple days. vfrcar.com or alpine auto rental. Pass by T82 for some breakfast along the way. Lots of accommodations in Marfa, Hotel Paisano is great and has fun history. On occasion I’ve taxied by Prong Horn Antelope native to the region. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have two favorite places:

1.  My home airport, KOSA in Mount Pleasant in the Texas Lake Country.  Three new SUV crew cars, CLEAN and well kept facilities, friendly staff and an amazing warbird museum with airworthy aircraft that are flown regularly.  Museum open Saturdays 8 to noon.  Nearby dynamite barbecue.  Museum closes in Winter.

2.  My home away from home airport KGLS in Galveston.  We have a house at Pirates Beach so it is a common destination for us.  Great airport and if you can’t find something that interests or entertains you in Galveston then you are REALLY tough to please.

• Like 1