Runway Opinions

It's no secret that hanger space is at a premium.  I'm currently hangered two hours away from home.  I'm in the top 5 on the waiting lists for two hangers within 30 minutes.  All other lists are 20+ deep.  I have an opportunity at a private airport.  The catch is the hard surface runway dimensions are 2764 x 25.  My mind is 99% made up, but I'm curious what others would do.  One note...I'm a new Mooney M20C owner with 20 landings under my belt :)

14 minutes ago, Joseph Long said:

It's no secret that hanger space is at a premium.  I'm currently hangered two hours away from home.  I'm in the top 5 on the waiting lists for two hangers within 30 minutes.  All other lists are 20+ deep.  I have an opportunity at a private airport.  The catch is the runway dimensions are 2764 x 25.  My mind is 99% made up, but I'm curious what others would do.  One note...I'm a new Mooney M20C owner with 20 landings under my belt :)

I had the opportunity to park and my grandfathers neighborhood runway. 22x2700. Practiced and landed there a few times, the wife absolutely hated it. It really limits your crosswind flying imo, as a new pilot. I'm also fairly new and it's windy around here. If I got to the point I felt like that didn't bother me at all I would maybe go in there but I like my big open class D airport with cross wind runways. I can come and go as I please whenever and wind is rarely a factor. That's the freedom I was looking for when I bought the plane. 

• Like 1

Having exactly zero M20C hours (take that for what it’s worth), I’d go spend a few hours with a CFI dong landing practice in various conditions with a 2500’ runway and see how it feels. There are plenty of people on MS who fly from similar fields every day, and I suspect this is a perfectly workable option.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, toto said:

Having exactly zero M20C hours (take that for what it’s worth), I’d go spend a few hours with a CFI dong landing practice in various conditions with a 2500’ runway and see how it feels. There are plenty of people on MS who fly from similar fields every day, and I suspect this is a perfectly workable option.

My CFI is the one that pointed out the dimensions as a consideration.  He is an ATP and a long time C owner.  Nice days wouldn't be a concern....it's more the "various conditions".  I also didn't think about the wife factor that @toto mentions.

2764 X 25 doesn't tell the whole story.  That runway in the middle of an open prairie would be very different from that runway surrounded by trees, deep ditches or tall buildings.  How much clearway?

How does that runway look on Googlemaps?

I believe you will become a more precise pilot landing on a narrow, short runway, but too short and too narrow is not a good thing.

Edited by Mooneymite
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Joseph Long said:

It's no secret that hanger space is at a premium.  I'm currently hangered two hours away from home.  I'm in the top 5 on the waiting lists for two hangers within 30 minutes.  All other lists are 20+ deep.  I have an opportunity at a private airport.  The catch is the hard surface runway dimensions are 2764 x 25.  My mind is 99% made up, but I'm curious what others would do.  One note...I'm a new Mooney M20C owner with 20 landings under my belt :)

When you got your insurance policy it asked where you based. If it was at an airport with a considerably longer/wider runway I would think, with low Mooney time, moving to this airpark might affect your rates.

The length wouldn't bother me, depending on what obstructions are at either end of the runway, but if you get a lot of crosswinds there, the 25 foot width is not very wide considering the number of landings you've made. Plus we are all sharper some days than others. I like a margin of safety that accounts for all of that. 99% of the time isn't good enough when landing airplanes. If you're already near the top of the list at a couple of other options, I personally would wait it out. Bringing the person who handles those lists a gift basket couldn't hurt either. :)

52 minutes ago, Joseph Long said:

My personal opinion:  way too short, and way too narrow.  There are a zillion Mooney drivers that do it daily, or can do it without concern or consequence, but why increase your risk in a new-to-you Mooney?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

2764 X 25 doesn't tell the whole story.  That runway in the middle of an open prairie would be very different from that runway surrounded by trees, deep ditches or tall buildings.  How much clearway?

How does that runway look on Googlemaps?

I believe you will become a more precise pilot landing on a narrow, short runway, but too short and too narrow is not a good thing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.962463,-82.5476598,1580m/data=!3m1!1e3?authuser=0

The drag strip to the west is longer :)

My home field is 2850 x 75.  The second runway is 2000 x 40.

I have no problems with the longer runway with my 252.  And I first landed there with less than 10 landings.  I plan on grabbing an instructor one day to  do some landings in the shorter runway.

I learned to fly on the 2000x40 runway in a Grumman Tiger.  No touch and goes. :D

But, they are adding over 1000 feet to the long runway.  Either the end of last week or the end of this week.

My M20C airport runway is 2100’ (useable) x40’.  Distance is not a problem as long as you are comfortable doing 65-70 mph (yes, MPH not knots) on short final.

Width is a different matter in crosswinds. You will probably need to set your personal minimums for crosswinds fairly conservatively at first, but after you gain some experience that will change.

My suggestion- commit to that hangar, but before you sign anything do at least 10 takeoffs and landings (with a CFI, if you like) at that airport. Practice go-arounds also. After 10 landings, make your final decision. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, exM20K said:

It looks like there are some good divert options nearby.  That takes a lot of pressure off "having" to land at the short strip if the WX is beyond your comfort level.

-dan

I have given this much thought.  Plenty of options near by when needed.  No fuel on site.  I think I'll do as @Andy95W suggests....try out a few landings and see how it feels.  There is a class C  and 3 Deltas in the vicinity and many 5000 footers near by.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Joseph Long said:

I have given this much thought.  Plenty of options near by when needed.  No fuel on site.  I think I'll do as @Andy95W suggests....try out a few landings and see how it feels.  There is a class C  and 3 Deltas in the vicinity and many 5000 footers near by.

Exactly as I was about to suggest ;)   You will love having the close option, as long as you are very disciplined in choosing when not to use it. 2764 is pretty short, but 25ft is very narrow!!   It's nice that there aren't obstructions however, and your short field skills will progress much faster than they would have otherwise.  

• Like 1

I earned my PPL and based my Mooney for seven years on an obstructed 3000' x 75' field, then moved for three more years to an open 3200 x 75 field. I visit a couple of times most years to 2770 x 30, and it's weird watching the edge markers go by under the wingtips, even weirder at night.

You just have to get comfortable with it. A  CFII took me simulated engine out to his home field, 2440 x 40, once on a flight review. Learn your plane, fly the numbers.

The M20-C is a very capable plane.

• Like 1

A nearby hangar with a runway is not the only concern.  I also give weight to fuel availability, maintenance availability, instrument approaches, crosswind runways, fellow Mooney pilots on field, etc.  My airplane "home" needs to have more than just cover and proximity.  That makes it easier to fly in varied conditions, and get help with varied issues.

As an example, I have a great avionics shop on my field that can work me in for small projects or oil changes without me flying to another location or even being there.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Marc_B said:

A nearby hangar with a runway is not the only concern.  I also give weight to fuel availability, maintenance availability, instrument approaches, crosswind runways, fellow Mooney pilots on field, etc.  My airplane "home" needs to have more than just cover and proximity.  That makes it easier to fly in varied conditions, and get help with varied issues.

As an example, I have a great avionics shop on my field that can work me in for small projects or oil changes without me flying to another location or even being there.

I couldn't agree more.  Although 2 hours away the airport where I'm currently hangered has several Mooney's, a very knowledgeable A/P, fuel and dual runways.  I think it will be easier once the weather is more consistent.  Then I can fly it over here to a nearby airport and leave it on the ramp for short periods.

• Like 1

Any Mooney should be able to handle a 2700ft strip at sea level. The only one I would have some thought taking it into a strip that size would be the stock eagle and ovation 2 with the 2 blade toothpick props. As long as your final speed is good, you shouldn't use more than 1500ft of runway, especially with the lighter older models. Getting out shouldn't be an issue either if you don't have obstacles.

Edit: if the airport is buckeye, I'd do it no questions asked. No obstacles on either side, with fields at the end of the runway makes this a no brainer in my opinion.

Edited by Niko182

3 hours ago, Joseph Long said:

Andy is right on. Get that hangar and train for the strip. You don’t have to land there when conditions are questionable, but having your airplane sit outside occasionally is exponentially better than spending months sitting in the elements.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Joseph Long said:

It appears that the runway is nice and wide, but the pavement is only 25'.  As long as the transition from pavement to grass is not obstructed, the narrow pavement is a non-factor.

Actually, it looks pretty nice to me for a C model.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

It appears that the runway is nice and wide, but the pavement is only 25'.  As long as the transition from pavement to grass is not obstructed, the narrow pavement is a non-factor.

Actually, it looks pretty nice to me for a C model.

If this is true it’s no problem, many crop duster strips have pavement for 200’ or so, idea is to get some speed up and a little lighter on the wheels before you get onto softer ground, it’s no big deal, you get used to it pretty quick. You will be a better pilot for it.

I’d say be comfortable, very comfortable with go-arounds and never try to salvage a landing, just go-around and try again. Don’t land with full up trim and a go-around is no big deal. The takeaway is if it doesn’t good good on short final, just go-around.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

If this is true it’s no problem, many crop duster strips have pavement for 200’ or so, idea is to get some speed up and a little lighter on the wheels before you get onto softer ground, it’s no big deal, you get used to it pretty quick. You will be a better pilot for it.

I’d say be comfortable, very comfortable with go-arounds and never try to salvage a landing, just go-around and try again. Don’t land with full up trim and a go-around is no big deal. The takeaway is if it doesn’t good good on short final, just go-around.

Well said! Go-arounds are your friend!

• Like 2

I regularly fly my M20J into W10. The runway is 2470 x 25 with tall Douglas fir trees all around. It’s not a problem. A strip like that will teach you to be precise in speed and directional control. As long as you have nearby bigger airports for gas, maintenance, instrument approaches and diversion during unfavorable conditions, I wouldn’t hesitate. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 10:36 PM, PT20J said:

I regularly fly my M20J into W10. The runway is 2470 x 25 with tall Douglas fir trees all around. It’s not a problem. A strip like that will teach you to be precise in speed and directional control. As long as you have nearby bigger airports for gas, maintenance, instrument approaches and diversion during unfavorable conditions, I wouldn’t hesitate. 

Would you do it if you were a "new Mooney M20C owner with 20 landings under my belt"