Do you think Man has significantly raised Co2 on earth?

5 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

Maybe we should rename this site Conspiracyspace? I’d offer to do it, but I’m too busy attending my Woke Word Domination meetings and figuring out how to make the world look like 1984 + Idiocracy. 

Being critical of scientific claims is THE key to the scientific method; it is NOT a conspiracy.

I’m old enough to remember the “experts” in the ‘70s ranting about the next ice age. As I recall those that raised questions about the veracity of that claim were similarly labeled conspiracy nuts. Of course today’s “experts” are right and anyone that disagrees is wearing a tin-foil hat, right?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

Maybe we should rename this site Conspiracyspace? I’d offer to do it, but I’m too busy attending my Woke Word Domination meetings and figuring out how to make the world look like 1984 + Idiocracy. 

Darn.  I already burned my copy of 1984.  Do I need to go buy another copy so I can burn it again?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, T. Peterson said:

If you are an engineer or a math major, I can’t believe we have tolerated you this long!!:lol:

I'm worse.  Im a math professor who is housed in a department of electrical and computer engineering.  I thought I could get by but now this thread has declared math unwelcome.  Or as my friends in England say, maths.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Darn.  I already burned my copy of 1984.  Do I need to go buy another copy so I can burn it again?

Nah, don’t bother. Since most of it has come true, it has lost its value as a predictive warning:D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

I think I'm the only other person here with you. For the past decade I've been fascinated by the sheer number of MS members that lean towards the right. It may be that left leaning members just don't post, but based on the content here, I would say 95% of contributors are conservative. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

47 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I think I'm the only other person here with you. For the past decade I've been fascinated by the sheer number of MS members that lean towards the right. It may be that left leaning members just don't post, but based on the content here, I would say 95% of contributors are conservative. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I used to consider myself center right.  Before that I used to consider myself center left.  But left right, up down, liberal conservative, conspiraciasm is another thing as well.  Somehow, currently, conspiraciasm (I'm rather proud of that word there that I just made up), seems to have found a home in what was the right.  Especially extreme right.  But conservative and right need not be synonyms, even though they often associate and now also, conspiraciasm need not at all be associated with right and certainly not conservatism although they seem to associate these days.  MOST definitely conspiraciasm can and does live on the far left too and in some times and places is more associated with far left.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aviatoreb said:

I used to consider myself center right.  Before that I used to consider myself center left.  But left right, up down, liberal conservative, conspiraciasm is another thing as well.  Somehow, currently, conspiraciasm (I'm rather proud of that word there that I just made up), seems to have found a home in what was the right.  Especially extreme right.  But conservative and right need not be synonyms, even though they often associate and now also, conspiraciasm need not at all be associated with right and certainly not conservatism although they seem to associate these days.  MOST definitely conspiraciasm can and does live on the far left too and in some times and places is more associated with far left.

For those conspiraciasmists out there, let me be the first to break the news to you that Fox is being sued by Dominion Voting Systems and the trial started today.  The trial has something to do with Fox not reporting all of the facts that it knew were to be true about the 2020 election. Fox hasn't uttered a single word about this over the past 18 months (and employees were forbidden to mention it),  so there was absolutely no way of you knowing about it. But do not fret because they are still reporting on the situation at the border at the top of each hour.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

For those conspiraciasmists out there, let me be the first to break the news to you that Fox is being sued by Dominion Voting Systems and the trial started today.  The trial has something to do with Fox not reporting all of the facts that it knew were to be true about the 2020 election. Fox hasn't uttered a single word about this over the past 18 months (and employees were forbidden to mention it),  so there was absolutely no way of you knowing about it. But do not fret because they are still reporting on the situation at the border at the top of each hour.

It works both ways. I listen to NPR on the weekends (opposition research) and they reported on the morning after pill ruling at least 5 times an hour

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

It works both ways. I listen to NPR on the weekends (opposition research) and they reported on the morning after pill ruling at least 5 times an hour

Very much true, but this story will eventually go away. Hourly coverage of the border will not.

Breaking news, Fox settled with Dominion for $787 million. I just tuned into Fox to see how they would spin it and they did. Neil Cavuto (who I watch and like a lot) read a statement and said that "Fox admits to no wrongdoing and acknowledges the Court’s rulings finding certain claims about Dominion to be false".

$787 million ain't chump change.

FYI, you can just go to the NOAA website to see recorded data yourself from the Mauna Loa observatory.  Hawaii has the benefit of trade winds that blow over open ocean, so probably the fewest confounding variables.
https://gml.noaa.gov/ccgg/trends/

There's been an increase in atmospheric concentration from about 320 ppm to 420 ppm in the past 50 years, so that's the magnitude of change we're talking about.  If you want to make it sound big, you call it a 33% increase.  If you want to make it sound small, you call it a 0.01% increase.  If you do either, you're probably lying to yourself and the people around you.

FWIW, I doubt Mooney's have contributed much to that either way :) 

• Like 1

Given how many times conspiracy theories have turned out to be true in the past couple years Im surprised people even continue to use the term.   It’s getting a little embarrassing.  

Left and Right, Conservative and Liberal aren’t really useful classifications anymore.  The real separation in society is between authoritarians and people who believe in human freedom.  People who are informed and people who believe what they are told to believe.  People who accept reality for what it is and those who deny reality.  

I’m very Conservative but find lately I have much more in common with some liberals than I do mainstream conservatives, because authoritarians exist in both groups and that’s not something I can ever be down with. 

What ever you believe and who ever you associate with I think we can all agree a Mooney is a fine airplane: one of the best ever made!!  This is undisputed fact and is certainly NOT a conspiracy theory! 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

$787 million ain't chump change.

Probably is compared to what they would lose from the trial and coverage. Some of the stuff that came out during discovery was pretty damaging to their brand. Essentially admitted that they knew they were lying to everyone to promote their  narrative and manipulate people into outrage over something they knew never happened.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Utah20Gflyer said:

Given how many times conspiracy theories have turned out to be true in the past couple years Im surprised people even continue to use the term.   It’s getting a little embarrassing. 

I'm not trying to bait you, but I am curious about conspiracies that turned out to be true. Can you list a few?

My personal favorite is the moon landing never happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

I'm not trying to bait you, but I am curious about conspiracies that turned out to be true. Can you list a few?

My personal favorite is the moon landing never happened.

How about the Covid lab leak theory.  Initially it was described as not only a conspiracy theory but a racist conspiracy theory.   The FBI and DOE have now stated the lab leak theory is the most likely scenario for the start of the pandemic.  

The collaboration between big tech and the government to censor individuals and stories they didn’t like is another.  Originally described as a conspiracy theory, recently verified via the twitter file releases.  

As for the moon landing I suspect it was real.  I’m not sure the purpose in faking it other than saving money, but since the government has no issue spending other people’s money I don’t see the motive.  

Your traditional conspiracy theories like political figures are actually lizard people or there are microchips in the covid vaccine, etc have no interest to me.  I specialize in the stuff the media and government lie about to our face with contrary information in plain site.  There is a lot of that lately.  

I find it surprising that someone would contest that the climate change movement is authoritarian in nature and instead claim that pointing out this obvious fact is a conspiracy theory.  I’d like to see some climate proposals that don’t involve centralized control over energy resources.  Show me the climate change proposal that celebrates human freedom and autonomy.  I’ll be waiting anxiously.  

• Like 4

On 4/17/2023 at 7:25 PM, Hank said:

Some would excoriate you for raising methane-farting animals. Others would consider you a low-life heathen for restraining them, and get angry because you ate them. Still others are unhappy that your cattle are competing with them for the same food. And some just want to buy their milk and meat, and make shoes from their hides.

"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but you will never please all of the people all of the time." Even if you walked down the street handing out $100 bills, some would complain . . . .

Someone just tried the $100 bill thing on an interstate in Oregon and was politely asked to stop by the state police…

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

Someone just tried the $100 bill thing on an interstate in Oregon and was politely asked to stop by the state police…

Because that person doesn't need $100, I needed $100 the day before yesterday, and that person says they need $300. Oh, thats just for today. Here's what we all need tomorrow . . . . . Then the fighting begins . . . .

What I find to be the most disingenuous part of this debate globally, is the way that those who don’t argue the climate is changing, but are unconvinced that man is the one changing it, are lumped in with the conspiracy theory.  
Volcanic emission, sea floor methane seeps, solar flares etc. There are myriad real things that are all part of this equation. However, those have no value in quantifying because we cannot control them. 
This planet will be here billions of years after humans are gone.  it will shrug us off the same way it has done for all the previous billions of years of extreme heat, cold, and extinctions. Thinking we can destroy it is hubris on the highest order. 

• Like 1

This planet will be here billions of years after humans are gone.  it will shrug us off the same way it has done for all the previous billions of years…

No, it won’t. The sun is getting hotter and will eventually turn into a red giant that will engulf earth in about 5 billion years or so.
But we don’t have that long, the sun is increasingly getting hotter, it’s estimated in 1-2 billion years earth will no longer be inhabitable.