For those mechanics and others that ignore manuals and still pull the tail down cause it’s always worked before

KB4

Just now, EricJ said:

On this forum or anywhere?    There've been threads closed on this forum for political content.   It seemed to me that it wasn't because of any particular point of view, but just because political topics aren't really appropriate for this forum and if such get contentious there's not really any benefit to the intended community and potential risk.   I thought it was an appropriate move.

Threads get closed and people get banned from fora all the time for political views or religious views or social views of all flavors.   

This forum

7 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

This forum

I've no idea.    I've not personally noticed, or cared, that a particular political point of view was subject to moderator action, but closing down threads that become dominated by political discourse seems appropriate to me since this isn't a political forum.

So, do liberals use a tail stand, or do conservatives use a prop sling. Where are these rules written down? Life is so confusing! 

If I voted for Biden am I required to buy another jack? Will I be a conspiracy theorist if I use an engine hoist? 

Life used to be so simple….

• Haha 2

Since we’re reminiscing, I miss @Maraudertoo.  Not his ladies so much, but we berated him into leaving and he had something like 25-30 years of ownership experience.  He said something people didn’t really agree with and ended on the bottom of a dogpile.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/19/2023 at 10:23 PM, Shadrach said:

recall any threads that were closed/deleted for espousing left wing beliefs or individuals banned for the same reason

there's a recent good example of piling on where a cute but ungenerous joke was made at the expense of a particular political group, and it received more likes than anything I've ever seen on here. I won't honor it by linking

1 hour ago, rbp said:

there's a recent good example of piling on where a cute but ungenerous joke was made at the expense of a particular political group, and it received more likes than anything I've ever seen on here. I won't honor it by linking

Regardless of your politics, if you can’t bring yourself to link a cute but ungenerous joke from any side of the aisle, you might be taking your politics  too seriously.

• Like 3

but its not really a joke. its a dig disguised as a joke

Two southern bells are sitting on a porch having tea.
Lady 1: Did you see the ring my Henry gave me? extends hand
Lady 2: My, that's nice.
Lady 1: And did you see the new car my Henry dear bought for my birthday?
Lady 1: Oh, and my Henry says he's taking me on a European vacation!
Lady 1: So what has your hubby done for you lately?
Lady 2: My hubby? Well my hubby paid for me to have etiquette lessons so I can say "My, that's nice," instead of "Fuck you."

• Haha 1

Remember the old saying:

"Sticks and stones can break my bones, but names can never hurt me"

I think some people never learned that. Especially these days. Only one person can make someone feel bad, and that's them. 

When you let someone else's words make you feel bad, you are giving that other person power over you.

I personally don't give others that power.

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Remember the old saying:

"Sticks and stones can break my bones, but names can never hurt me"

I think some people never learned that. Especially these days. Only one person can make someone feel bad, and that's them. 

When you let someone else's words make you feel bad, you are giving that other person power over you.

I personally don't give others that power.

The question is not whether it makes me feel bad, which it doesn’t, but rather the overall tone that it sets for the community. Mean-spirited jokes debase the speaker, and the community.

We could do better, but it’s pretty obvious people a lot of people enjoy it this way (“I love this thread. Keeps MS lively” in the climate change discussion)

The rest of us consider it a Faustian bargain  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, rbp said:

The question is not whether it makes me feel bad, which it doesn’t, but rather the overall tone that it sets for the community. Mean-spirited jokes debase the speaker, and the community.

We could do better, but it’s pretty obvious people a lot of people enjoy it this way (“I love this thread. Keeps MS lively” in the climate change discussion)

The rest of us consider it a Faustian bargain  

Mean-spirited? Really? I haven’t seen any mean-spirited comments on Mooneyspace in years. I suppose everyone has a different threshold for what they consider mean. I’m sure that you’re not going to reveal the post in question. Perhaps you can just explain what qualified it as mean spirited?

19 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Since we’re reminiscing, I miss @Maraudertoo.  Not his ladies so much, but we berated him into leaving and he had something like 25-30 years of ownership experience.  He said something people didn’t really agree with and ended on the bottom of a dogpile.

Ha!  @Marauder is a class act.  The loss was suffered by the detractors too classless to recognize class.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

What happened to Chris? I’ve noticed his absence but was not here for his persecution.

He asked about a doctor possibly signing off on basic med since he’d just had a physical a month before (or something to that effect) and was roundly castigated.  Disagreement is ok, but he got dog piled on.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

He asked about a doctor possibly signing off on basic med since he’d just had a physical a month before (or something to that effect) and was roundly castigated.  Disagreement is ok, but he got dog piled on.

“Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
when you're perfect in every way.”

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Mean-spirited? Really? I haven’t seen any mean-spirited comments on Mooneyspace in years. I suppose everyone has a different threshold for what they consider mean. I’m sure that you’re not going to reveal the post in question. Perhaps you can just explain what qualified it as mean spirited?

yes I expect adults to be kind to each other, and have a low tolerance for boorish behavior, and I expect a non-moderated community to call out bad behavior rather than allowing it to pass or piling on. things like making other people the butt end of a joke, lecturing people on how what they're doing is wrong or they "should get some training" (and I don't mean in a constructive way)

On 4/21/2023 at 5:21 PM, Ragsf15e said:

I certainly didn’t mean to dog pile him and mostly enjoy his contributions (except for the pictures) but I think what some people took offense to was suggesting not doing things “by the book” possibly including falsifying medical records. Maybe it was just a misunderstanding but either way I apologize if I offended anyone.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 8:28 PM, rbp said:

I’m not sure it works pretty well. Two people have up and left, with laments all around. And there are topics which should be shut down (climate, really?). And posts which bash people (usually liberals, but others too). And some pretty stupid shit about people needing to learn to fly tailwheels.  Honestly, this site is about 25% dumpster fire, 25% useful stuff, and 50% random banter. I wouldn’t mind some tools in order to adjust those percentages to have a better. 

The tools are right at your fingertips. “To click or not to click.”

On 4/19/2023 at 8:46 PM, EricJ said:

That'd be great if that's how it worked, but people speak their mind and then not move on.   Topics are breached not to engage in discussion, but to advance an agenda.   If you don't support the agenda, your reasoned input may be determined to be stupid shit, regardless of the history or supporting evidence or science or logic or math or reasonableness.

So who decides what shit is stupid is, I'd argue, a key component.   There is no forum where everyone will agree on that, so unmoderated fora are always subject to unnecessary strife when people can't resist the temptation to not move on.   It is the way.

Folks may not move on. They may choose to linger, but it doesn’t stop me from moving on.

On 4/19/2023 at 9:41 PM, EricJ said:

I've no idea.    I've not personally noticed, or cared, that a particular political point of view was subject to moderator action, but closing down threads that become dominated by political discourse seems appropriate to me since this isn't a political forum.

Your premise is that politics has nothing to do with Mooney ownership. Some would disagree. The philosophy behind some political agendas may be perceived as a genuine threat to our privilege of flight. Some people on MS may enjoy debating those concerns. Some detest the notion. So why can’t the debaters debate and the detesters read threads that are more suitable to their tastes? 
The irony is that those who supposedly hate politics/philosophy on MS are more than willing to shut down those who disagree. Is that an aviation position, or a political/philosophical position?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, T. Peterson said:

Your premise is that politics has nothing to do with Mooney ownership. Some would disagree. The philosophy behind some political agendas may be perceived as a genuine threat to our privilege of flight. Some people on MS may enjoy debating those concerns. Some detest the notion. So why can’t the debaters debate and the detesters read threads that are more suitable to their tastes? 
The irony is that those who supposedly hate politics/philosophy on MS are more than willing to shut down those who disagree. Is that an aviation position, or a political/philosophical position?

why write "some would disagree" and "some political agendas" and "those who supposedly hate politics/philosophy" instead of just saying who those people are what political agendas you might be referring to?  if people don't like it, they can just skip over what you write?