Going LED -- What do I need to know?

MisfitSELF

On 4/10/2023 at 4:23 AM, OSUAV8TER said:

Yes, I agree. Instead, I just favorite certain topics so I can quickly pull them up. The search engine is not great either.

Absolutely.  Before starting this thread I searched "LED" "Strobe" "wing tip" on Mooneyspace and not one of the cross threads that folks have posted above was listed!  Would have saved a lot of time and electrons.

Bruce

Absolutely.  Before starting this thread I searched "LED" "Strobe" "wing tip" on Mooneyspace and not one of the cross threads that folks have posted above was listed!  Would have saved a lot of time and electrons.

Bruce

Use google “site:mooneyspace.com led strobe wingtip”
  • Like 1

Problem is, if you search on those three words, you get any post that has any of those words.  If you want it show only posts with all 3 words it needs to have a syntax like strobe+led+wingtip.

Or "led strobe" will find posts with those two words in that order.

Problem is, if you search on those three words, you get any post that has any of those words.  If you want it show only posts with all 3 words it needs to have a syntax like strobe+led+wingtip.
Or "led strobe" will find posts with those two words in that order.

It’s not finding posts with those words, but an entire page.
Also, the pages with 3 words (actually most matches, so it’s possible led 100 times comes before 1 of each, but generally that’s not necessary) will should show up first in the list of search results. It also will search for associated keywords automatically like “light”.
And if it must have a word, then you prefix with +, so it should be “+strobe +led +wingtip”, your example wouldn’t necessarily find strobe.

Another question. 

Any recommendations for cables and connectors?

I got my 650e in a couple of days ago and I'm strategizing on how I want to connect them (wiring and connectors).  I'm removing a "legacy" set of wing tip lights.  A nav light with 12V and grnd and and three pin/wire strobe.  So I'll have 5 wires (ones a redundant ground) on the aircraft side and 4 wires on the light side (the Whelen 650e).  And I may need a bit of wire to make sure everything reaches (there's plenty their now I could scavenge but...)

I'll be removing an older Whelen strobe power supply (looks like a A490TCF).  Obviously I desire a clean, FAA approved, installation and I would like to have connectors on each end that I can easily disconnect and reconnect should the need arises.

Whelen sells 2 and 3 pin cable its and connectors
.  However, it seems like I really ought to have some sort of 4 pin connector.  I'd let the sync float for now, but may use it later.

Thanks,

Bruce

I used Deutsch connectors based on a recommendation from a friend that did it before me, and am highly impressed. You'll need the proper crimp tool, but you should have one anyway if you desire to do much of this work. They're so much better than the old Molex style that don't seal up and protect from corrosion of the pins and sockets.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

I used Deutsch connectors based on a recommendation from a friend that did it before me, and am highly impressed. You'll need the proper crimp tool, but you should have one anyway if you desire to do much of this work. They're so much better than the old Molex style that don't seal up and protect from corrosion of the pins and sockets.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Which one(s) did you use?