Rigging Boards

Steven B

81 m20K, 231. I’m the owner and NOT an A/P. Plane has been down for over 4 months(including avionics upgrades). All avionics, maintenance and annual completed.  Jack screw was badly gummed up. Now all appears cleaNed up and ready but the mechanic can’t locate rigging boards and isn’t comfortable adjusting it without them. Meanwhile my plane sits, but all payments continue. It’s at KTRM(thermal), Southern California. anyone have boards I could buy/rent or someone willing to travel to get the plane operational. I would really appreciate any constructive advice. Thank you in advance. 

1 hour ago, Steven B said:

81 m20K, 231. I’m the owner and NOT an A/P. Plane has been down for over 4 months(including avionics upgrades). All avionics, maintenance and annual completed.  Jack screw was badly gummed up. Now all appears cleaNed up and ready but the mechanic can’t locate rigging boards and isn’t comfortable adjusting it without them. Meanwhile my plane sits, but all payments continue. It’s at KTRM(thermal), Southern California. anyone have boards I could buy/rent or someone willing to travel to get the plane operational. I would really appreciate any constructive advice. Thank you in advance. 

You don't strictly need boards, they just make it easier.   If you can find somebody comfortable with using other measuring tools, like a digital level, protractor, etc., you can get it done that way, too.

4 hours ago, Steven B said:

You are beginning to get some answers above.  I just wanted to say Welcome to MooneySpace!

7 hours ago, Steven B said:

Your maintainer is correct in needing/wanting travel boards for the trim system, especially since he’s had them apart for maintenance.  Flaps and ailerons can be done with other means, but trim can kill you.

Reach out to Top Gun or some of the other MSC’s in the state.

Welcome to Mooneyspace 

11 minutes ago, 1980Mooney said:

I don't know about the short bodies, but the Travel Boards for the mid bodies and long bodies are the same.  Just look at the Part's manuals.  It is in Sect. 95-20-00.  They are just fancy plywood or aluminum protractors that conform to the shape of the wing.

I think the boards are the same for all of models though the rigging differs by body length.

On 3/26/2023 at 9:49 PM, Steven B said:

You might try this procedure as I’ve found it accurate on a C, F and J model. Use a digital angle finder and zero it out at the fuselage level points. After zeroing it out, take it to the vertical leading edge and set the tail to 87.5 degrees if the spec for nose up trim is 2.5 (check the trim spec for your K) degrees at takeoff position indication ( the leading edge of the horizontal stab will be 2.5 degrees nose down in relation to the fuselage level point).  If you have stripes on your fuselage or any other paint markings that extend on to the tail, they should line up nicely. 
Worth a try. I’ve done this procedure via FaceTime with an A&P in your same position using the rig boards I have and the J model I have access to and we confirmed it to be the same. 
Thanks,

David

Edited by Sabremech
  • Like 3

On 3/26/2023 at 9:49 PM, Steven B said:

Did you find a solution and get your bird back airborne?

David