LED Recognition Lights

donkaye

36 minutes ago, donkaye said:

I guess there will always be an upgrade I will have to have.  I'm pre-ordering tomorrow.  Easy to replace; reasonably inexpensive in airplane terms.

https://flywat.com/collections/led-aircraft-landing-taxi-lights/products/mooney-led-wingtip-recogntion-light

I’m looking at them too and look forward to your review. 

1 hour ago, donkaye said:

I guess there will always be an upgrade I will have to have.  I'm pre-ordering tomorrow.  Easy to replace; reasonably inexpensive in airplane terms.

https://flywat.com/collections/led-aircraft-landing-taxi-lights/products/mooney-led-wingtip-recogntion-light

I have had mine on pre-order since Oshkosh 2022.    Once they arrive, I’m also having them wired to a Maxpulse landing light/pulse switch to allow for wigwags if I choose (all purchased through Gallagher Aviation @OSUAV8TER ) 

• Like 1

Where have you been the last 8 months?????  :D

They were announced around Oshkosh 2022, and I placed my pre-order.  I made final payment a couple of weeks ago and expect them to ship very soon.  12 volt models are already shipping

I have to say it … $230 EACH for a lightbulb is not cheap.  Also when you get into the wingtip you will discover they are actually a bit fiddly to replace.

Several years ago I and others made our own as documented on postings here.  I do not recall the exact cost but it can not have been more than $50 total for two.  I think the home made variety are just as bright as well.

I just can’t get past the thought it is just a low power, non critical, not at all special, solid state, LIGHTBULB.

Landing and taxi lights, I gritted my teeth and bought aircraft variety.  But $230 for a recognition light bulb?   I could not have done it even if they had been available.  

They will doubtless still sell a lot of them.

18 hours ago, Pinecone said:

To save a $350 wingtip cover if you forget to turn them off after landing?  Priceless.

Respectfully disagree. $700, not priceless!:lol:

Mine were put in this past weekend.  They may help with nighttime taxiing, too!  They are very nice but certainly not free.  

• Haha 1

James - thank you for your posts. I am excited to see that Whelen just came out with the LED replacement for the wingtip recognition lights.

All -

I have the newer wingtips on my 1979 M20K, but my airplane doesn't currently have the recognition lights. I would really like to add them as I find it always challenging to see the taxiway edges at a lot of the airports and believe these will be helpful for both recognition as well as when taxiing on the ground.

They should be able to be fitted into the standard Mooney Wingtip that I have, right? Is there a piece of housing or other hardware that can be purchased? Has anyone done that? Any insights that I can share with my mechanic?

I presume there is a way to wire them with a three-way switch that would have 1) ON steady 2) Wig-wag 3) OFF positions? Anyone familiar with such a device that would work with these LED lights?

I appreciate any insights from those who have done this or are planning to do this.

Thanks.

--Alex

11 hours ago, SkyBound said:

James - thank you for your posts. I am excited to see that Whelen just came out with the LED replacement for the wingtip recognition lights.

All -

I have the newer wingtips on my 1979 M20K, but my airplane doesn't currently have the recognition lights. I would really like to add them as I find it always challenging to see the taxiway edges at a lot of the airports and believe these will be helpful for both recognition as well as when taxiing on the ground.

They should be able to be fitted into the standard Mooney Wingtip that I have, right? Is there a piece of housing or other hardware that can be purchased? Has anyone done that? Any insights that I can share with my mechanic?

I presume there is a way to wire them with a three-way switch that would have 1) ON steady 2) Wig-wag 3) OFF positions? Anyone familiar with such a device that would work with these LED lights?

I appreciate any insights from those who have done this or are planning to do this.

Thanks.

--Alex

If you have a pic of your current wing tip lens… that would help.

There is a couple of pieces that support the recog light installation that are standard from the factory…

You might want to research some part numbers… from the parts manuals.  That will give you a hint of what may be needed.

The long bodies have their switches overhead in a row with the taxi and landing lights…

Best regards,

-a-

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

The long bodies have their switches overhead in a row with the taxi and landing lights…

Most of the long bodies have their switches overhead. None of the L models had overhead switches and M models from 1989-1993 did not have them. The overhead switches started sometime in 1994 when Mooney re-did the interiors. They should be on all Ovations (R) made since the start in 1994 and all TLS/Bravo (M) made from that point forward. All S and TN models have them. Also around 1997 when they re-did the interiors on the Allegro (J) and re -introdcued the Encore (K) they put the overhead switches on those mid-body models.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, donkaye said:

I ordered mine today.  They'll be here in 2 days, just in time to be installed during Annual that starts next week.  He said he sent out 100 already and only has 5 left after mine.

On the way! I've shipped about 150 starting last Friday and yesterday. I now have 4 ship sets on the shelf but I will order more here soon. Whelen is manufacturing another batch of them. 

• 1 month later...

I am happy that you like them! I have an excellent supply of both 14V and 28V LED recognition lights in stock and ready to ship.

James

https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/WAT-Mooney-14V-Recognition-Light_p_140.html <-- 14V version website link

https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/WAT-Mooney-28V-Recognition-Light_p_337.html <-- 28V version website link