Are pilots going to be replaced by AI?

Recently saw this on the internet:

Artificial intelligence (AI) is rapidly evolving and has the potential to revolutionize many industries, including aviation. AI-powered pilots could one day replace human pilots, but this is not likely to happen anytime soon.

There are several challenges that need to be overcome before AI can be used to safely and reliably fly commercial aircraft. For example, AI systems need to be able to learn and adapt to changing conditions, and they need to be able to handle unexpected events. Additionally, AI systems need to be able to communicate effectively with human pilots and other air traffic control personnel.

Despite these challenges, the potential benefits of AI-powered pilots are significant. AI systems could be used to fly aircraft more efficiently and safely, and they could also be used to improve air traffic control. Additionally, AI-powered pilots could be used to fly aircraft in dangerous or remote areas where human pilots would not be safe.

Overall, it is likely that AI will play an increasingly important role in aviation in the years to come. However, it is not likely that AI will replace human pilots anytime soon.

While the role of automation is increasing in aviation, it is unlikely that AI will completely replace commercial pilots in the near future. The human factor plays a crucial role in decision-making, problem-solving, and communication in aviation that are hard to replicate by machines. Airline pilots face a wide range of unexpected scenarios both in the air and on the ground, which require critical thinking, intuition, and emotional intelligence that AI may not have. However, AI and automation technologies are being developed to assist pilots and reduce their workload, improve safety, and enhance operational efficiency.

The public has become used to riding in shuttle trains with no human being onboard.  Of course the failure modes for a shuttle train are limited compared to an aircraft, and if there is a malfunction, the train can just shut down in its current position.  It would be interesting to know how the public would react to flying on an airliner with no human pilot onboard.

One significant problem with using AI in place of human pilots in airline travel is trust. According to experts, many people may find it challenging to trust a machine that does not have emotions and feelings to fly a plane carrying hundreds of passengers. 
Another issue is the fact that AI is not perfect and can malfunction, causing accidents. Although the technology is constantly improving, AI can still fail or make mistakes, and there is no guarantee that a machine can handle every type of situation, unlike humans who can use their intuition and experience.
Moreover, AI lacks human interaction, which can be crucial in emergencies. In some cases, pilot intuition and communication have saved lives during emergencies. AI lacks the ability to interact with others or use emotional intelligence to assess the best way to handle particular situations. 
Finally, the cost of developing and maintaining the AI technology required to replace human pilots entirely would be significant, and it is unlikely to be a practical solution for most airlines.

While there are some valid concerns about using AI in place of human pilots, I believe that these concerns can be addressed and that AI can be a reliable and trustworthy way to fly an airplane.

One of the biggest concerns is that people may not trust a machine that does not have emotions and feelings. However, I believe that this concern is unfounded. AI systems are designed to be reliable and trustworthy, and they can be programmed to follow strict safety protocols. In fact, AI systems are often more reliable than human pilots, as they are not subject to fatigue or distractions.

Another concern is that AI systems can malfunction and cause accidents. However, this is also a risk with human pilots. Human pilots can make mistakes, and they can be affected by factors such as fatigue, stress, and alcohol. AI systems, on the other hand, are not subject to these same factors. They are designed to be reliable and to follow strict safety protocols.

Finally, some people argue that AI lacks human interaction, which can be crucial in emergencies. However, I believe that this concern can be addressed by developing AI systems that are able to communicate with humans. AI systems can be programmed to understand human language and to respond to human commands. In fact, some AI systems are already being used to communicate with humans in emergency situations.

Overall, I believe that AI can be a reliable and trustworthy way to fly an airplane. AI systems are designed to be reliable and to follow strict safety protocols. They are not subject to the same factors that can affect human pilots, and they can be programmed to communicate with humans. While there are some valid concerns about using AI in place of human pilots, I believe that these concerns can be addressed and that AI can be a safe and efficient way to fly an airplane.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, whiskytango said:

The public has become used to riding in shuttle trains with no human being onboard.  Of course the failure modes for a shuttle train are limited compared to an aircraft, and if there is a malfunction, the train can just shut down in its current position.  It would be interesting to know how the public would react to flying on an airliner with no human pilot onboard.

My belief is that most people would have no problem with it. Too many people now have no problem with getting into a car with virtually no anticipation of using their brain or driving ability. They just want to wind up at their destination. Why should it be any different with aviation. Their blind acceptance of technology to take care of all of it for them scares me.

I reluctantly admit that AI can do a much better job of many things than humans, but it still hurts me to see so much our existence being lost to technology. I like to drive and take pride in my ability to do. I feel the same way about flying. (And yes, I still lament the fact that my ability to use a slide rule is of zero value)

• Like 1

As AI technology advances, it is becoming increasingly likely that AI will be capable of operating commercial airliners. With the development of sophisticated machine learning algorithms and deep neural networks, AI systems are becoming more adept at handling complex tasks and decision making processes. Furthermore, the integration of sensors and advanced computer systems into aircraft is facilitating the transition towards fully autonomous flight. Although it may take some time to implement and perfect such systems, it is clear that AI has the potential to revolutionize the aviation industry and increase the safety and efficiency of commercial aviation.

AI systems are increasingly capable of handling complex tasks and decision making processes. They can learn from large amounts of data and make predictions and decisions that are often more accurate than those made by humans. AI-powered systems are already being used to automate tasks such as flight planning, navigation, and maintenance. In the future, AI systems are likely to be able to fly aircraft without any human intervention.

The limitations of human pilots compared to AI include:

• Humans are more susceptible to fatigue and errors.
  • Humans have limited processing power and cannot make decisions as quickly as AI systems.
  • Humans are more likely to be biased in their decisions.
  • Humans are more likely to be distracted by external factors.

Overall, AI systems are better suited for flying aircraft than human pilots. AI systems are not subject to the same limitations as humans and can make decisions more accurately and quickly.

4 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

Recently saw this on the internet:

Artificial intelligence (AI) is rapidly evolving and has the potential to revolutionize many industries, including aviation. AI-powered pilots could one day replace human pilots, but this is not likely to happen anytime soon.

There are several challenges that need to be overcome before AI can be used to safely and reliably fly commercial aircraft. For example, AI systems need to be able to learn and adapt to changing conditions, and they need to be able to handle unexpected events. Additionally, AI systems need to be able to communicate effectively with human pilots and other air traffic control personnel.

Despite these challenges, the potential benefits of AI-powered pilots are significant. AI systems could be used to fly aircraft more efficiently and safely, and they could also be used to improve air traffic control. Additionally, AI-powered pilots could be used to fly aircraft in dangerous or remote areas where human pilots would not be safe.

Overall, it is likely that AI will play an increasingly important role in aviation in the years to come. However, it is not likely that AI will replace human pilots anytime soon.

I say we are already AI.  I have noticed a huge number of companies and products that are suddenly AI -- like in the last two weeks.  Engineering changes, re-design, re-write, all-new coding followed by extensive beta testing, selected customer roll-outs?  Nope, If you have a marketing department, you too can be AI.

Two challenges that I see presented by AI.

1.  A fully autonomous AI pilotage system must have a backup not on the aircraft.  This will require secure digital comms between a backup facility and the aircraft, and an independent secondary sensor system.

2.  An AI system cannot get up out of the chair.  Sometimes that is necessary for one reason or another I suppose.

In full disclosure, I asked Bing images (AI) to create an image of an aircraft cockpit with no seats or instruments, just a big on/off switch and big button labeled "REBOOT".   It failed.   Note seats are still there.   It had no dials, but many switches and lights remained on the panels.  It didn't add the switch/button I asked for.  So I had to use gimp to edit that image and get what I wanted.   On the plus side, I do like the air ducts down where the rudder pedals would normally reside though.

empty_panel.jpeg

AI will likely be flying freight and other non manned flights sooner than we think. 
There are a lot of valid and emotional concerns about flying humans, but that will likely happen sooner than we think as well. 
Entire generations of people are growing up right now, which are more than comfortable letting computers do everything and anything without a thought. 
Time will tell if this advances or regresses society…

If you haven’t  watched the movie “Idiocracy”, I highly recommend it.  
It is crass, but amazingly prescient for a 20 year old movie…

4 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

Too many people now have no problem with getting into a car with virtually no anticipation of using their brain or driving ability. They just want to wind up at their destination.

To address the problem you have mentioned, it is important to promote safe driving habits through education and enforcement of traffic rules and regulations. Additionally, technological advancements in autonomous vehicles could potentially reduce the reliance on human driving ability and improve safety on the roads. Ensuring proper licensing and training for drivers can also contribute to safer driving habits.

12 minutes ago, hais said:

Isn't AI an overkill for the task of flying an airplane? Unlike road environment, the airspace is not that complex to automate. 

While the airspace is not as complex as the road environment, there are still many challenges that AI can help to overcome. For example, AI can be used to:

Improve situational awareness: AI can use data from sensors and other sources to create a more complete picture of the airspace around an aircraft. This can help pilots to avoid collisions and other hazards.

Make better decisions: AI can use data and algorithms to make better decisions than humans can. This can help pilots to avoid making mistakes that could lead to accidents.

Fly more efficiently: AI can use data and algorithms to fly aircraft more efficiently. This can save fuel and reduce emissions.

In addition, AI can be used to automate many of the tasks that are currently performed by pilots. This can free up pilots to focus on other tasks, such as managing the aircraft in emergencies.

• Haha 1

Has anyone here looked closely at some of the popular top tier AI now in the public sphere - they make interesting answers and they make fantastic errors with utter "confidence".

I am not excited about an AI handling general emergencies.  Sure - flying when everything is right - but not when things are bad.  Potentially a ground human pilot may be about to over see many airplanes just in case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ilovecornfields said:

While the airspace is not as complex as the road environment, there are still many challenges that AI can help to overcome. For example, AI can be used to:

Improve situational awareness: AI can use data from sensors and other sources to create a more complete picture of the airspace around an aircraft. This can help pilots to avoid collisions and other hazards.

Make better decisions: AI can use data and algorithms to make better decisions than humans can. This can help pilots to avoid making mistakes that could lead to accidents.

Fly more efficiently: AI can use data and algorithms to fly aircraft more efficiently. This can save fuel and reduce emissions.

In addition, AI can be used to automate many of the tasks that are currently performed by pilots. This can free up pilots to focus on other tasks, such as managing the aircraft in emergencies.

If pilots never fly the plane and only monitor the systems, what makes you think they will have the skills to fly the plane when the automation fails?

• Like 2

I’ve told a lot of people that flying a plane takes a lot less cognitive power than driving a car in traffic. Planes have been flying on autopilots for over a hundred years. Cars have only been doing it for the last couple of years. Heck, you can get a GA plane now that will land itself if the pilot is incapacitated. What more do you want? But like most automation, it costs a pile of money! If you don’t want to spend the money, you should keep your stick and rudder skills up. 

I think the real question is not when it will be available, but when will it be required? The day may come when we won’t be allowed to fly the airplane, because we are too dangerous to the general public. It all boils down to freedom. Will we be able to operate our airplane the way we see fit, or will the only way anybody can fly is under central government control?

The one thing the airplane will lose under central control is the ability to say “unable”.

• Like 3

1) Automation is slowly eliminating jobs off the factory floors…. Been doing so since the ‘80s…

Not really good, or complex jobs… simple and repetitive jobs are automated or actively exported…

2) Tesla full self driving mode is interesting….

Let’s see how well The Tesla Semi truck does in the real world…

3) Busses would come after that…

But, safety and security aren’t very automatable…

4) then, roll the videos of all the hero pilots that have saved broken planes from their complete demolition…

It’s going to be a really strong AI to be Sully, a 737 landing on a levee, or land a crippled DC10 in Sioux City after it loses the hydraulic system…

Sooooo…  how long will it take to see the fully automated flights….?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

1) Automation is slowly eliminating jobs off the factory floors…. Been doing so since the ‘80s…

Not really good, or complex jobs… simple and repetitive jobs are automated or actively exported…

2) Tesla full self driving mode is interesting….

Let’s see how well The Tesla Semi truck does in the real world…

3) Busses would come after that…

Sooooo…  how long will it take to see the fully automated flights….?

Best regards,

-a-

I’m a big fan of my Tesla’s FSD. helps quite a lot in daily driving. but it ain’t perfect… two days back, was going at 75 mph (okay on Texas highway). I saw it coming fast to the car ahead of it, got ready to disengage and suddenly it decided to break really hard, started to beep, and displayed “system error, take over immediately” message. Fortunately, allowed for this to happen with no car behind me…

there is a difference between critical systems and business software. As we deploy more trained neural networks with no option to fully test them, I would still expect human oversight. 

but who knows, tech progress might surprise us… I would still want to fly my own plane but when AI takes over, I might not have a job to pay for it…

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

While there are some valid concerns about using AI in place of human pilots, I believe that these concerns can be addressed and that AI can be a reliable and trustworthy way to fly an airplane.

One of the biggest concerns is that people may not trust a machine that does not have emotions and feelings. However, I believe that this concern is unfounded. AI systems are designed to be reliable and trustworthy, and they can be programmed to follow strict safety protocols. In fact, AI systems are often more reliable than human pilots, as they are not subject to fatigue or distractions.

Another concern is that AI systems can malfunction and cause accidents. However, this is also a risk with human pilots. Human pilots can make mistakes, and they can be affected by factors such as fatigue, stress, and alcohol. AI systems, on the other hand, are not subject to these same factors. They are designed to be reliable and to follow strict safety protocols.

Finally, some people argue that AI lacks human interaction, which can be crucial in emergencies. However, I believe that this concern can be addressed by developing AI systems that are able to communicate with humans. AI systems can be programmed to understand human language and to respond to human commands. In fact, some AI systems are already being used to communicate with humans in emergency situations.

Overall, I believe that AI can be a reliable and trustworthy way to fly an airplane. AI systems are designed to be reliable and to follow strict safety protocols. They are not subject to the same factors that can affect human pilots, and they can be programmed to communicate with humans. While there are some valid concerns about using AI in place of human pilots, I believe that these concerns can be addressed and that AI can be a safe and efficient way to fly an airplane.

Fine. Load a random airliner with FAA execs and Congress critters, with their families. Just a regular airliner, no special mods, no special equipment, no special oversight from ATC. Fly from DC to San Fran, refuel and come back. Let the AI fly it, no licensed pilots onboard. All same-same as every other flight that day, but no one onboard who can even attempt to take over at any time. May as well double-lock the cockpit door, just to make sure.

THEN I will think about it . . . .

• Haha 4

One of the things automation relies on…. Is sensor technology…

Whether it was Air France over the Atlantic… or the pair of B737 MAX accidents….

That many sensors need to be protected, maintained, and failures need to be recognized at an extremely high level…

Supporting this much technology, makes a pair of pilots look inexpensive…. :)

PP thoughts only, not an automations engineer…

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Fine. Load a random airliner with FAA execs and Congress critters, with their families. Just a regular airliner, no special mods, no special equipment, no special oversight from ATC. Fly from DC to San Fran, refuel and come back. Let the AI fly it, no licensed pilots onboard. All same-same as every other flight that day, but no one onboard who can even attempt to take over at any time. May as well double-lock the cockpit door, just to make sure.

THEN I will think about it . . . .

One pilot on the ground could monitor several aircraft flown by AI. In fact, this is already happening in some cases. For example, the US Air Force is using drones that are flown by AI, and these drones are monitored by pilots on the ground. The pilots are able to monitor the drones and take control if necessary.

There are a number of reasons why it might be beneficial to have one pilot on the ground monitoring several aircraft flown by AI. For example, it would allow for greater efficiency, as the pilot could monitor multiple aircraft at once. It would also allow for greater flexibility, as the pilot could be located anywhere in the world.

However, there are also some challenges that would need to be overcome in order to make this a viable option. For example, the pilot would need to have a very good understanding of the AI systems that are being used to fly the aircraft. They would also need to be able to react quickly to any unexpected situations.

• Like 1