Where is the baggage-area light rocker switch in a 2000 Ovation?

The other night, after landing around sunset and packing up my 2000 Ovation, I noticed the baggage-area light on for the first time. I didn't know how I'd cut it on, but I knew it had a timer. Well, I went out to the plane today and found the #1 battery dead. So perhaps the timer failed? When my line guys hooked a GPU up, the baggage-area light came back on--despite nothing else in the plane being on.

Apparently, there's a momentary rocker switch that activates this light? Where the heck is it? I can't seem to find it!

I've removed the bulb pending solving this mystery.

Thanks to all in advance.

--Up, N194V.

my 98 bravo doesn't have a "switch" -- the rocker is really a little generator and you just rock it a bunch of times and the light goes on for 30 seconds. maybe there'a. capacitor in there to hold the charge.  did they change the design to a timer? 

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, rbp said:

my 98 bravo doesn't have a "switch" -- the rocker is really a little generator and you just rock it a bunch of times and the light goes on for 30 seconds. maybe there'a. capacitor in there to hold the charge.  did they change the design to a timer? 

I can't tell if you're pulling my leg or not! :)

• Haha 1

On 3/24/2023 at 12:18 PM, rbp said:

Definitely not supposed to work that way. You have malfunction in that switch or circuit or timer.

Using O1 experience…

1) The Ovation baggage compartment light switch is just inside the baggage door near the hat shelf…

2) The switch is easy to hit when putting bags in that space….

3) The circuit is kept alive, when the Master is off…

4) Similarly, the overhead lights are also on the keep alive circuit, and the back seaters often test the switch and leave the lights on… in the day light PIC may not know the lights have been left on…

5) Newer Os got the timing circuit…

Good checklist item and discussion with passengers… same for the E-gear lever on the floor….

PP thoughts only, not a flight attendant…

Best regards,

-a-

21 minutes ago, rbp said:

I will make a movie of it next time I am at the hanger

I believe you - no need to prove that, but that’s not the way it is supposed to function, at least it didn’t in the ‘96 Bravo and ‘00 Ovation that I had which your ‘98 falls in between.

On 3/23/2023 at 9:30 PM, Jeff Uphoff said:

The other night, after landing around sunset and packing up my 2000 Ovation, I noticed the baggage-area light on for the first time. I didn't know how I'd cut it on, but I knew it had a timer. Well, I went out to the plane today and found the #1 battery dead. So perhaps the timer failed? When my line guys hooked a GPU up, the baggage-area light came back on--despite nothing else in the plane being on.

Apparently, there's a momentary rocker switch that activates this light? Where the heck is it? I can't seem to find it!

I've removed the bulb pending solving this mystery.

Thanks to all in advance.

--Up, N194V.

Jeff, when you have the baggage door open and you’re standing outside, it should be located on the inside left door edge, about 12 inches or so from the bottom of the door.  Normal operation would be when the light is turned on with the rocker, it should stay on for a minute or two, then get gradually dimmer until it eventually turns off fully - usually in about 4 or 5 minutes.  If it stays on all the time, there’s an issue that needs looking at.

• 2 months later...
On 3/26/2023 at 3:57 PM, LANCECASPER said:

I believe you - no need to prove that, but that’s not the way it is supposed to function, at least it didn’t in the ‘96 Bravo and ‘00 Ovation that I had which your ‘98 falls in between.

here's a video. can't really see the light, but its getting brighter every time I press

10 hours ago, rbp said:

here's a video. can't really see the light, but its getting brighter every time I press

Since the timer apparently dims the light when it turns the light off, I think there is something wrong with the timer. I can’t imagine it’s supposed to work like that.

11 hours ago, rbp said:

Like I mentioned back in March, I believe that it's doing that, but it's not supposed to.  The "box" that has a small electronic board is probably bad like mine was.

It's made by International Avionics Corporation in Dallas. The gentleman there told me it would cost about $350 to diagnose and troubleshoot the Baggage Light Control Box, plus shipping both ways. I asked how much just to sell me the board inside the box. $300 plus $8 shipping for a new board. So that's the way I went, even though that's crazy for that board, but it solved the problem. The "box' is to the tail side of the baggage compartment.

35 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

but it's not supposed to

when I picked up the plane from the dealer back in 1998, they demonstrated this to me as an innovative way to keep the battery from going dead. did you turn the sound on? you can hear the little generator

1 minute ago, rbp said:

when I picked up the plane from the dealer back in 1998, they demonstrated this to me as an innovative way to keep the battery from going dead. did you turn the sound on? you can hear the little generator

Definitely not the way any of mine have worked that had the baggage light.