TSIO360 Magneto question

Airstevo

Hi all, 

I'm going to be updating my JPI 730 to an 830 and one of the sensors to add is the RPM.  Without pulling the cowl off and looking at what exact mag it has, I do know that it's a bendix s-20.  I'm assuming it's pressurized.  Does this sound right?  It seems there are two different sensors based on pressurized vs non.  I'm assuming the turbo mooney would have a pressurized mag correct?  

Thanks for any help

Steve

Hi all, 
I'm going to be updating my JPI 730 to an 830 and one of the sensors to add is the RPM.  Without pulling the cowl off and looking at what exact mag it has, I do know that it's a bendix s-20.  I'm assuming it's pressurized.  Does this sound right?  It seems there are two different sensors based on pressurized vs non.  I'm assuming the turbo mooney would have a pressurized mag correct?  

Thanks for any help
Steve

most likely pressurized if -LB or later, but i believe the GB was unpressurized. Make sure they are Bendix though as most installations use Slick Mags.
Your engine log book will show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, kortopates said:

most likely pressurized if -LB or later, but i believe the GB was unpressurized. Make sure they are Bendix though as most installations use Slick Mags.

Thank you for the reply.  It is an LB engine.  The former owner had a spreadsheet he created to keep track of maintenance, and he has them listed as bendix s-20, so I'm trusting that for now but I'll keep digging in the logbooks.  So far I haven't found anything other than they were checked at the appropriate intervals.  Even have gone back to the last engine change, and still haven't found it.  The search continues

Spread sheet and pressurized should be right for the LB, but I wouldn't go on what sounds right either.  Have you been using the same mechanic for a long time?  That would be my first call and the odds are he'd either remember what I have off the top of his head or certainly would have notes in my file with the info. 

And Yosemite is on our list to hit now that we're moving out to the PNW.  So we may be chatting in the not to distant future. :D

Edited by PeteMc

55 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

Spread sheet and pressurized should be right for the LB, but I wouldn't go on what sounds right either.  Have you been using the same mechanic for a long time?  That would be my first call and the odds are he'd either remember what I have off the top of his head or certainly would have notes in my file with the info. 

And Yosemite is on our list to hit now that we're moving out to the PNW.  So we may be chatting in the not to distant future. :D

Hi Pete, 

The airplane is still fairly new to me, so that's why there's a little confusion, well and this is my first time ever trying to figure out all of this kind of thing.  I dug into the logbook summaries that the previous owner kept thankfully, made the search much easier and in fact they are the pressurized versions.  

Yeah lets chat about Yosemite.  I'm there a lot since it's so close.  I recently did a few flyovers too.  amazing place.  I'll have a lot of suggestions if you plan on making it down this way.  hit me up anytime

On 3/23/2023 at 4:01 PM, Airstevo said:

Thank you for the reply.  It is an LB engine.  The former owner had a spreadsheet he created to keep track of maintenance, and he has them listed as bendix s-20, so I'm trusting that for now but I'll keep digging in the logbooks.  So far I haven't found anything other than they were checked at the appropriate intervals.  Even have gone back to the last engine change, and still haven't found it.  The search continues

This link to Continental might help you.  Select TSIO360-LB, then select sub model/specification, then select ignition system.

http://continental.aero/support/illustrated-parts-catalog.aspx

The easy way to check is to just pull off the top cowl. Super quick and allows you to see the magnetos and the filter/pressure lines from the upper deck if you have them. They’re right on top. Top cowl is quick and easy for one person. Bottom cowl requires more finesse and hands. 
I’d also recommend that at your next oil change/annual/maintenance that you, since the aircraft is new to you, take pictures of every visible serial number/part number plate and start collecting pics of every aspect. Makes it way easier to look back through pics and zoom in to see how things have changed or if you have a problem.

FWIW I’ve got TSIO360SB with pressurized slick 6324. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, M20Doc said:

This link to Continental might help you.  Select TSIO360-LB, then select sub model/specification, then select ignition system.

http://continental.aero/support/illustrated-parts-catalog.aspx

Thank you!  I saved the link.  I definitely will be using that as a reference.  I appreciate the help

3 hours ago, Marc_B said:

The easy way to check is to just pull off the top cowl. Super quick and allows you to see the magnetos and the filter/pressure lines from the upper deck if you have them. They’re right on top. Top cowl is quick and easy for one person. Bottom cowl requires more finesse and hands. 
I’d also recommend that at your next oil change/annual/maintenance that you, since the aircraft is new to you, take pictures of every visible serial number/part number plate and start collecting pics of every aspect. Makes it way easier to look back through pics and zoom in to see how things have changed or if you have a problem.

FWIW I’ve got TSIO360SB with pressurized slick 6324. 

Thanks Marc. I'll do just that.  that's great advice.  It goes into annual next month and the shop suggested I participate since it's all new to me which I was very happy about.  I'll take a bunch of pictures then.  I did confirm that it has the LB1B engine and that it is pressurized bedix mags.  Thanks you

On 3/23/2023 at 12:59 PM, kortopates said:

The 231 started with the -GB in 1979 and ran through 1983. Continental/Mooney added the pressurized mags on the -GB in the last two years, 1982 & 1983. I had a 1983. The -LB engine was on the last two years of the 231, 1984 & 1985.

Many of the -GB engines were converted to -LB engines at overhaul.