1978 M20J, N6201Y Price dropped to $149,900

Ross Statham

Hey gang,

I'm selling my 1978 201, N6201Y.   It has a recently overhauled engine and scimitar two blade prop (overhaul completed last Fall).  Getting this posting done early for you guys- I will be editing this page over the next few days with better details, but here are some basics:

• 4225 hours on the airframe
  • October 2022 Annual inspection, completion of engine rebuild and completion of propeller overhaul
  • IFR certified in 2019
  • 46 hours on the rebuilt engine and Hartzell propeller
  • Garmin GNS 650W with Mode S option (ADSB out)
  • ADSB In via Stratus unit included with the sale
  • Garmin 430W tied to above unit and tied to a Garmin 106A glide slope
  • King KFC flight director and two-axis autoilot with GPSS roll steering tied to 650W
  • JPI EDM 900 Primary Flight Instrument (fuel pressure gauge is inoperative)
  • Working brow lights with dimmers
  • Garmin GTS 33ES transponder tied to above GNS 650W
  • Repainted in 2018 by Hawk Aviation in Tampa- I'd give the paint a "9"
  • New leather interior in 2015
  • New muffler in 2016
  • New alternator in 2019
  • New battery in November 2022
  • Propeller dynamically balanced in November 2022 (really smoothed things out!!)
  • Replaced brow light bulbs November 2022
  • Rosen visors
  • 978 pound useful load

I've owned her for five years. She ALWAYS been hangared and well maintained.  Repainted in 2018 by Hawk Aviation in Tampa, who did their usual superb job.  I would rate the paint today a 9, the interior was re-done in 2015 with beige leather and new carpets; I'd rate it an 8, with beige leather seats (no rips) but the plastic on the ceiling is starting to get brittle.
Great Century II autopilot with altitude hold and add-on GPSS roll steering flies approaches like a champ, but no altitude pre-select. Major avionics upgrade in 2015 to include ADSB.

Engine is the fuel injected IO-360-A3B6D 200HP (2000 Hour TBO). New muffler in 2016, new biscuits in 2020, new alternator, new high energy starter, new high power LED landing light, new LED wingtip navigation lights and bright LED "strobes", rebuilt Hartzell Scimitar prop and new tires installed in July 2021. Tempest Firewire plugs, all ADs complied with. Rosen visors, new seatbelts and front shoulder harnesses in 2015. New foam in seats also during 2015 interior refurb.  ADS-B in and out; dual WAAS GPS NAV COMM (Garmin 650W and Garmin 430W).

Damage History: January 2020 gear-up landing. No framing members were damaged, aircraft was professionally re-skinned, propeller replaced, landing gear disassembled and re-swung; engine re-assembled as described in aircraft and engine logs below by Richard Cam at Aeroquest.  I loaned the plane to a CFI friend in early 2022, who had a prop strike (!!), and it was decided to do a complete engine re-build, which was completed in October 2022.  The engine break-in with mineral oil just completed; I'm doing an oil change on her before I sell her. (The photos were taken before I had the propeller rebuilt, which included a repaint with new decals.  Ignore the wear marks on leading edges of the propeller in the photos.)

N6201YNovember2021089-Copy.JPG.0f8161f21cbdfdf9875f1f703ae9e5b3.JPGthe prop!)

The airplane is a superb cross-country airplane, with realistic flight planning at 150 knots airspeed at 10 gallons per hour and a 60 gallon fuel tank.  Engine runs superbly. Aircraft is hangar based at the Tri-County Airport in western Florida, KBCR.

My cell phone is (770) 329-5400, email is stathamross@gmail.com.  I'm on Central time (Florida panhandle).

N6201Y November 2021 087 - Copy.JPG

N6201Y November 2021 119.JPG

N6201Y November 2021 089 - Copy.JPG

N6201Y November 2021 099 - Copy.JPG

N6201Y November 2021 100.JPG

N6201Y November 2021 101 - Copy.JPG

N6201Y November 2021 102 - Copy.JPG

N6201Y November 2021 108.JPG

N6201Y November 2021 106.JPG

N6201Y November 2021 113.JPG

N6201Y November 2021 115.JPG

N6201Y November 2021 118.JPG

N6201Y November 2021 098.JPG

N6201Y November 2021 080.JPG

N6201Y November 2021 079.JPG

N6201Y November 2021 077.JPG

N6201Y November 2021 091.JPG

Edited by Ross Statham
Price drop, edits to engine and prop SMOH hours

• Ross Statham changed the title to 1978 M20J, N6201Y (Available mid-April) $165,000
  • 2 weeks later...

That is a nice looking J.  I really like the paint scheme.  Regarding the prop paint- I feel your pain.   Lest some potential buyer think that you drove through the weeds, let me share my story. 

The paint on the Hartzell Top Prop we bought new in 2021 and installed on our M20C did exactly what I see in your photos after flying through the rain for the first time.   I took the prop off the plane TWICE and returned it to the shop where I purchased it for re-painting, and the paint still came off after both repaintings.  It seems like someone in the Hartzell universe would have figured out how to keep paint on a propeller by now.

Is it really worth $165k? My '83 has just about the same amount of total time and 275 hours SMOH with new cylinders, plus a GTN 750, GI 275 ADI and KAP 150. I wouldn't have estimated its value anywhere near that. Maybe I just don't know the current market?

Is it really worth $165k? My '83 has just about the same amount of total time and 275 hours SMOH with new cylinders, plus a GTN 750, GI 275 ADI and KAP 150. I wouldn't have estimated its value anywhere near that. Maybe I just don't know the current market?

Controller has 5 around or above this one.

But we will find out, my 78 has similar hours and paint job, recent interior upgrade, G3X,GTN650Xi, GFC500, JPI900, LEDs, etc. I would estimate $200k for mine based on this and others.

Jimmy G discusses over upgrading older Js.  I don’t think anyone is likely to pay anything close to 200k for a 78.  Jimmy’s base for a 78 is 100k.

There’s a 95 on controller with gnc500 AP plus other upgrades for 225k.  It’s been there for 2 months.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 2:45 PM, Steve0715 said:

Jimmy G discusses over upgrading older Js.  I don’t think anyone is likely to pay anything close to 200k for a 78.  Jimmy’s base for a 78 is 100k.

There’s a 95 on controller with gnc500 AP plus other upgrades for 225k.  It’s been there for 2 months.

Gents,

This is an MSer offering a Mooney up for sale…

Let’s try to stay positive about pricing and plane descriptions for other MSers selling their planes…

We want people to be comfortable listing their Mooneys for sale here…  :)

Most MSers with a plane prefer the higher prices…

MSers that haven’t bought their plane yet already know how to negotiate…

I love Jimmie G…  (we go way back…)

But, people have been ‘over’ upgrading their planes since Big G went touch screen and started installing GFC500s in everything…

It is very easy to sell a complex panel, with a free plane attached to it…  :)

Sure…

It could be a market top…

Or… we could be waiting for a really long time for the recession to actually happen….

Recessions are nice for buying planes… but nobody has the confidence to buy one then… that’s what drives the price down…

Do your due diligence…

Then start that conversation with Ross… :)

Let’s see…

Beautiful looking M20J…

Not many  others around for sale…

I’d be asking for more pics and log copies…   :)

Ross,

What’s next for you?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Huh.

What is overupgrading?

I consider paying 8 grand for a gps navcomm offensive which would make me unpopular with most of our mooneyspace brethren, but…whatever. A product is worth what people are willing to pay for it…and many people looooooove to stuff their “forever” mooney full of Chinese Garmin glass….

I remember J’s in the 50’s and 60’s…172’s in the 25’s, and 150’s in the 10-15’s not very long ago. 225k? Pshaw.

I have to get over myself and remind myself that economies revolve around supply and demand. J models are commanding a premium, overhauls aren’t getting any cheaper, 6 cylinder versus 4 cylinder costs are not trivial, and most all those waiting for a “correction” may keep waiting. Small fluctuation? Sure. But pricey gas is here to stay, $2 egg cartons are a thing of the past, and so are $12k engine overhauls.

On 3/31/2023 at 2:45 PM, Steve0715 said:

the right 1977-78-79 J may bring a lot of money. The basic airplane is the same until the end of the production run. newer interiors, avionics, paint, and interior can narrow the gap.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 6:50 PM, jetdriven said:

Jimmy has a 78 with an inop autopilot for 165k. 

I think we’ve already established that Jimmy’s determination of how much something is worth is highly dependent on whether he’s buying or selling. Stuff is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Seems like if you’re not in a rush to sell Mooneys are getting pretty good prices right now. 

As other have pointed out, it’s not like they’re making any more new ones in the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

The 95 has low hours, It’s average less than 50 hours per year. Why some brokers think this is a positive I don’t know.

9 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

The 95 has low hours, It’s average less than 50 hours per year. Why some brokers think this is a positive I don’t know.

I think 50 hours a year is plenty. Not to hijack the thread on a beautiful plane. People get so caught up on things that don't matter. Fly the plane... On Jimmy's World he pulls crap out of a barn that sat 20 years and fly's it home on WD-40. I also see plenty of new rotax motors fail. Just fly the thing and keep it clean and you'll be fine. Once every 2 weeks is plenty to keep a plane from deteriorating if it's in a hangar. 

Good Luck on the sale. Looks Like it's worth the money to me!

• Haha 1

• Ross Statham changed the title to 1978 M20J, N6201Y Price dropped to $149,900
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have an 82J, Hawk paint, almost the same equipment as this probably more really (JPI 930, aspen 2500 3 screens, Garmin 750, KAP 150, flow through exhaust, Gami’s, one piece belly, engine is like 1700 TBO, doughnuts new 4 years ago).  I would not think $149k is out of line?