Mag Compass broke off in flight.

Jer

Folks:

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but the mounting ears broke off of the compass housing.  I believe it is made of Bakelite, and the material seems a bit crumbly after 40+ years.  I have a good solution which involves a 3D printed adapter which I made. tapping a couple of pre-existing holes in the housing, screwing it on, and re-mounting the compass with original hardware.

Here are a couple of photos: 1) the compass with broken ears. 2) top and bottom views of the adapter. 3) the adapter attached, and 4) the adapted compass re-installed.

If there is anyone else in this situation, please advise and I will post the .stl file of the adapter and write detailed instructions to guide someone through the whole process.  I am also just willing to send an adapter to anyone who needs it.

Jer

IMG_1944.JPG

IMG_1942.JPG

IMG_1937.JPG

IMG_1941.JPG

• Like 1

Those things are famous for being flimsy and breaking off just like that.    Mine got repaired/replaced a number of times before I gave up and got a dry compass with a floppy mount that is highly tolerant to getting bumped.   No regrets here.

2 hours ago, Jer said:

Folks:

You are absolutely correct.  That new housing does seem like a better and easier solution.  Well I enjoyed the project along the way!

Jer

What you made looks stronger than the new replacements, which are just as flimsy and prone to breakage as your old one (BTDT).    The new ones are cheap, they just keep breaking (in my experience, anyway).  ;)