Summit in 2023?

John Mininger

Does anyone know if there is going to be a Summit this year? I couldn't make it in 2022 because of a scheduling conflict. I just want to get it on the calendar ASAP if there's going to be one in 2023.

And I know that these events don't magically happen by themselves. They happen by the work and dedication of the few people step up to the plate and organize them. 

So thank you!

At this time, we do not have anyone who has stepped up to the plate to organize the next Summit, John. Perhaps someone who is willing to put in all the work it takes to organize, solicit sponsors, arrange venue, catering, build an agenda, get Subject matter experts to volunteer their expertise, recruit volunteers, set up coms, etc will come forward and we can move the ball closer to Summit IX.

Different missions. We are not an association for profit like MAPA. [1] We are a charitable group that holds a Mooney Summit periodically to "better the breed" of the Mooney pilots and use the Summit to fund the Bill Gilliland foundation to assist downed Mooney Pilots families. We do not pay our directors, take expenses or look to profit in any way. That is left for others that have events.

Once you start to intermingle this with an organization who's fiduciary duty is to make a profit, then our mission is subordinated. I spent a great deal of time with the old Mooney management trying to develop a cohesive unification plan for the disparate groups [2], and was unsuccessful. Each mission statement and objectives were simply too varied. If someone can develop such an umbrella that satisfies all objectives, we, at the Mooney Summit, Inc. are open for discussion.

[1] MAPA is a for profit, MAPA Safety foundation is a NFP. 2 distinctly different organizations with an unknown relationship to each other. 

[2] Included but not limited to Mooney Girls, The Mooney Flyer, MAPA, MAPA safety foundation, Mooney Caravan, Right seat ready, Dmax, Florida Mooney Lunch group, West coast Mooney Club, Australian Mooney Pilots association

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why not attempting to get groups with similar goals etc, eg. Mooney Summit and DMAX Education program to consider putting on or joining together to provide Mooney Education programs on a consolidated basis.

• Like 1

Hey Gang - 

It was my intent to be one of the players in the Summit from a leadership role, but with everything that's happened personally (happy to PM about it but you can also find it here) I just don't have the time between my careers (financial planning and flying for the airlines) and taking care of my family (7, special needs 5, and 9 month old) to give what's needed to run the Summit. We need new blood, and we've had great people run it in the past, including carrying it forward during COVID. I wish I could step up but simply cannot. It's why I passed the torch on in 2021/2022 to Rick who did an amazing job last year.

I'll attempt to reach out to some people and see what we may be able to do.

-Seth

• Like 2

Seth you guys are the best, most important thing in life is our family you’ve stepped up to the plate. To prepare and execute a series of seminars takes an unbelievable amount of time especially putting on great programs. You’re right time to pass the torch and get new Mooney pilots involved. Unfortunately some of us are getting a little older. Thank you for all you’ve done. 

Rick Junkin did not some, he did ALL of the heavy lifting for the last Mooney Summit VIII. His diligence and attention to detail made it the best one we have had. Dan is right, some of us are getting old and we want to keep the Mooney Summit fresh for all the new owners. That means the next Summit needs a lead who is one of the next gen Mooney owners. 

Rick, once again, thank you for all you did for the last Summit and all the work thru the Rona shutdown

If anyone wants the tireless task of being the Mooney Summit IX Lead, let me know, as Rick has developed a detailed Summit in a box protocol. We would love to hear your concepts to take this forward and not just become another "same old same old" Mooney gathering.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is my honor to announce that Dan Bass and Alex Gertsen have stepped up to make the Mooney Summit IX a reality once again in 2023. Initial target dates is last part of September. Look for some more info soon as they put the moving pieces together and really present a great program!

Thanks Guys!

• Like 10

6 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

It is my honor to announce that Dan Bass and Alex Gertsen have stepped up to make the Mooney Summit IX a reality once again in 2023. Initial target dates is last part of September. Look for some more info soon as they put the moving pieces together and really present a great program!

Thanks Guys!

Yaay!!! Thanks, Dan! Thanks, Alex!

Dan and Alex are working hard on vetting dates with the stakeholders of the Summit. I know the feedback we received was overwhelmingly in favor of the Fri-Sun programs like the last 7 were, thus it will preclude the fantastic Tampa Theater as a venue again.

Lets see what the guys in charge come up with, and I can assure you, someone wont like it. :)

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

To all on this thread, wanted to make sure that you saw that the Mooney Summit is on for this year - October 6-7, 2023!

We are excited to return to Tampa for the second year. Thanks to our gracious host, The Hillsborough County Aviation Authority, our fly-in will be at Peter O. Knight Airport (KTPF) and our Safety Day will be held at the newly built, state of the art conference center at Tampa International (KTPA).  We have speakers from the NTSB, NATCA/FAA and other industry experts.

Full agenda and details are on the website - www.MooneySummit.com.

Note that today, September 17th, is the last day to register at the discounted rate.

We look forward to seeing you in Tampa!

--Alex