Anatomy of a Slam Dunk (and what to do differently in the future)

On 3/10/2023 at 4:38 PM, 0TreeLemur said:

Good catch.  Didn't mean MDA. 

I really have no idea why they had me at 4000.  You are correct, I don't know what their MVA is.

Who do I call about this?   How do I find the phone number to talk to someone at ABC approach?  Do I really want to do that?   Dealing with bureaucrats is NOT my hobby.  :( (first time I've used that face on MS).

I'm learning-   I anticipated it happening this time.    Next time I want to talk to the approach controller in a way that produces a better outcome .  Based on what @Ragsf15e wrote, I think I should request a vector to an IAF.   Yesterday, with storms SE of the airport, that would have sent me to IAF ALICE for the RNAV04 at TCL.  Alice was not that far out of my way.   Don't know why they didn't just do that.

I think my lesson here is this:  When the approach controller says vectors to FAF, suggest vectors to an IAF.

I think you're knocking on a solution with your last sentence. I've been told I'll get vectors to final and requested an IAF a few times and they tend to not mind as it reduces their workload with you to some extent as then your course and altitude is defined on the chart and they don't have to get you headed the right way and altitude. I've also been forgotten about by approach controllers if I'm going to a smaller airport and they have a large C/B in their sector. So I end up having to prod them for things like " Approach 1QE would like to start our decent now" or start a turn now and I'd say about 80% of the time they give it to me and the rest they let me in on their grand plan with " standby traffic ...." type reply . 

If you're going to make the call to talk to them I'd find the number for the ABC Approach as you mention and list the date and time to the manager and they will go pull the tapes and get back to you with a reason or an apology, or maybe a "you missed a call clearly on the tapes here" 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 10:25 AM, MooneyMitch said:

Just asking, as I have no experience doing this, but could a rapid full rudder slip in clouds, possibly contribute to spatial disorientation? 

I meant I had no experience with a full rudder deflection slip in clouds . :blink:

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2023 at 12:50 AM, MooneyMitch said:

I meant I had no experience with a full rudder deflection slip in clouds . :blink:

In the immortal words of that old country song, "me, neither!" [EDIT: for the unfamiliar--]

Slips, yes. IMC, yes.

Slipping in IMC? No sir!

• Haha 2