GI275 disappointed / very basic screens

3 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

Garmin says "If the GI 275 dual-AHRS configuration is the only source of attitude in an aircraft without a redundant pitot source, do not fly in instrument meteorological conditions."

Seems like that might cover a lot of installations.

I have the dual system and not totally trusting it, I put in an AI that is vacuum operated. Guess I am ok as far as Garmin is concerned.

9 hours ago, jlunseth said:

I have the dual system and not totally trusting it, I put in an AI that is vacuum operated. Guess I am ok as far as Garmin is concerned.

Sounds like the safety play to me.  I fear that, in many cases, we don’t fully understand all the failure paths for the new equipment.  In my later years, I have come to appreciate backups.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

Garmin says "If the GI 275 dual-AHRS configuration is the only source of attitude in an aircraft without a redundant pitot source, do not fly in instrument meteorological conditions."

And that right there is a good reason to shop elsewhere . . . .

On 4/23/2023 at 6:52 AM, skykrawler said:

So cool that I spent as much as a cheap car on these screens. And people are trying to talk me into buying another -275 for an engine monitor. At least I have another digital AI that doesn’t need a bunch of updates (thanks Uavionix). I noticed that I got a bunch of alerts when I tried to update the most current databases and something messed up. Super frustrating Garmin, get your sh#t together. 

19 hours ago, Hank said:

And that right there is a good reason to shop elsewhere . . . .

Well, I think it is marketing getting ahead of engineering and then the flaws show and legal requires statements like that one. But really, we have seen some of the problems right here on Mooneyspace and I am sure over on Beechtalk. Anyone who obliviously buys a system that is dependent on single points of failure - like the electrical system goes down - just has not been watching.

If you read the service alert, it says that the problem was corrected in v2.43 per Service Bulletin 22002. It would be good to get that installed if you haven't already.

Backups are always a good idea. I have a G3X, G5 and an AV-20-S. The AV-20 uses different technology and is cheap and protects against confusion if the G3X and G5 don't agree. The G5 has a long battery life and protects against an electrical failure. Also the glass panel only draws about 11 amps so the main battery should be good for an hour+.

The GI 275 has a shorter battery life than the G5 and the AV-20 also has a short battery life (I measured about half an hour). If I had dual GI 275, I would want a backup AI that is either vacuum or has a long battery life.

Skip

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 7:59 PM, Fly Boomer said:

Maybe not fly if you have no pitot tubes either.

Maybe not fly if you have no pitot tubes either.

You’d be surprised. All it takes is a trace of ice to block your pitot tube and then have your pitot heat fail.

We shouldn’t forget the legacy Aspen STC allowed no back up’s with multiple Aspens yet when lost pitot pressure the entire Aspen Red-X’d out entirely - didn’t matter how you had. Never understood how the FAA approved no backups on multiple Aspens. It was only fixed by the newer Max Aspen.
At least Garmin only lost attitude for a few minutes to re-align and now that’s fixed without having to buy a next generation unit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1