GI275 disappointed / very basic screens

Hey, today I finally got after 14 month to fly my Mooney back to it's new home.

A lot of things still to work on, but slowly I will keep improving it. For sure I'll flood MS with questions.

Here goes the first one: I was really disappointed by the GI275 EIS. The screen were basic nothing close to the ad picture where you see the tank levels, cht, eht, mp, rpm all in one screen.

On the contrary this unit was showing cht in one screen, eht in another, flue flow just by itself in another screen.

Is this something that pilots can customize? Is there a firmware update? Don't tell me that I have an old unit that I need to throw away because that would make me feel sad. Lol.

I don’t have the EIS but I have the ADI and HSI. If you haven’t figured it out yet, there are a series of menus available by putting your finger on the bottom of the screen and swiping up. There are customization menus there. There may also be a series of screens available by turning the big knob at the bottom. Pretty basic, but the 275 manual isn’t the best.

If you can’t get the unit to give you the appearance you want with the menus, then you may need to go back to the installer. Some of those things need to be enabled on installation.

Edited by jlunseth
  • Like 1

I also don't have an EIS, but agree with @jlunseth that it must just be a configuration issue.  OR....  How old is the unit and when was the software last updated?

From what I read, it was mid 2021 that the "enhanced display layouts" were introduced.  So it is possible that your unit just needs an update to be able to show the all-in-one screen.

9 hours ago, redbaron1982 said:

A lot of things still to work on, but slowly I will keep improving it. For sure I'll flood MS with questions.

Here goes the first one: I was really disappointed by the GI275 EIS. The screen were basic nothing close to the ad picture where you see the tank levels, cht, eht, mp, rpm all in one screen.

On the contrary this unit was showing cht in one screen, eht in another, flue flow just by itself in another screen.

Is this something that pilots can customize? Is there a firmware update? Don't tell me that I have an old unit that I need to throw away because that would make me feel sad. Lol.

First off, congratulations on saving one more Mooney from the ravages of corrosion! I remember when it was for sale and thought about it quite a bit but just didn’t need the TKS, so I left it for someone who did. I hope you get many years of flying joy from it and you quickly forget about what you had to go through to get to where you are.

As for the GI-275, I haven’t a clue but I’m sure you’ll get it figured out soon.

Welcome back to the sky!!!

14 hours ago, redbaron1982 said:

I would take it to a knowledgeable Garmin dealer and have the software updated and the configuration checked. 
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/newsroom/press-release/aviation/garmin-gi-275-engine-indication-system-updated-with-enhanced-user-experience/

1 hour ago, redbaron1982 said:

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the quick responses. Yeah, I think I will need a software update. I think my 275 is from early 2021 so it might not have the new version.

Does anyone know how much should I expect to be charged for a software update on the Garmin 275 EIS?

Most shops seem to charge about an hour of shop time to do the updates and paperwork.

On caution on doing any Software Updates to all of your 275s right now...   There is an issue with v2.6 where if you do a Navigation Data update to one of the units, it does not transfer over to the other units like it used to.  So if your other two 275s are set up to fail over as a backup, you may need to load the Nav Data update into each 275.

Some background if none of that makes sense as a new 275 owner....   In the past when it was time for a Navigation Database Update, you'd update one of the 275 and that update would be sent to the other units you own (assuming they all registered for the update) and you're all done.  This is true also if you a GNC/GTX/GPS (or GTN if you start there), it would send the update to the 275s and everything else.  

With the BUG in the current Software, the Nav Database update goes into the first unit, but it no longer sends it out to all the other devices.  So you have to update then individually.  Bit of a pain and you need to find the update cable for the other units that probably crammed up under the panel.

Edited by PeteMc

2 hours ago, PeteMc said:

On caution on doing any Software Updates to all of your 275s right now...   There is an issue with v2.6 where if you do a Navigation Data update to one of the units, it does not transfer over to the other units like it used to.  So if your other two 275s are set up to fail over as a backup, you may need to load the Nav Data update into each 275.

Some background if none of that makes sense as a new 275 owner....   In the past when it was time for a Navigation Database Update, you'd update one of the 275 and that update would be sent to the other units you own (assuming they all registered for the update) and you're all done.  This is true also if you a GNC/GTX/GPS (or GTN if you start there), it would send the update to the 275s and everything else.  

With the BUG in the current Software, the Nav Database update goes into the first unit, but it no longer sends it out to all the other devices.  So you have to update then individually.  Bit of a pain and you need to find the update cable for the other units that probably crammed up under the panel.

Thanks Pete for the heads-up, I was not aware of that bug. Anyway in my particular case I think it does not apply because I have only an EIS.

5 hours ago, PeteMc said:

That makes sense. I had a second 275 installed as an HSI and the first was moved from the backup AI to the primary ADI just a few months ago. I also have a GTN750. Before the work the 275/AI was seamlessly updated from the GTN. After, I have to look in each unit for the databases. The new database will be listed as a backup and I have to make it the primary. Not a lot of effort, but still a pain compared to the way it was before. Good to know, I will ask my installer if the bug has been fixed.

On 3/4/2023 at 9:29 PM, redbaron1982 said:

I can confirm all you need is the software update. I have a GI275 that used to be as you describe, and now displays as you were hoping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I notice Garmin has been adding digital signatures to their databases to pair databases with unit SysIDs and adding signature checking to unit software updates. I'm not sure how they plan to handle updating multiple databases from a single point.

(2023)ServiceBulletin22120RevDGI275Multi-functionInstrumentSystemSoftwareVersion2.60AviationSupport.png.cc6fffa264a803ef00b4d4832fe45203.png

On 3/5/2023 at 12:10 PM, cdikd said:

Hi, 

I've just got m'y GI 275 EIS yesterday. This is my first picture in flight. I will also have so many questions ...

IMG_0020.JPG

My first question is why didn't they put it above the VSI  so it's in your line of sight? 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2023 at 9:41 PM, jetdriven said:

My first question is why didn't they put it above the VSI  so it's in your line of sight? 

my right hand controls the RPM MP engine instruments and the GI275 EIS. It's more convenient.

20230416_105121.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 12:08 AM, PeteMc said:

I have the same issue. Waiting for the update..

Sort of a separate subject, but why does the 275 need software updates at all if it is connected to a 650/750. I suppose maybe for Map Mode so I never see it because I have the map on the 750? Seems to be sort of a useless exercise to update the 275 software. Doesn’t mean I won’t keep doing it. 

8 hours ago, jlunseth said:

Sort of a separate subject, but why does the 275 need software updates at all if it is connected to a 650/750. I suppose maybe for Map Mode so I never see it because I have the map on the 750? Seems to be sort of a useless exercise to update the 275 software. Doesn’t mean I won’t keep doing it. 

There's a lot of stuff in the GI 275 including the GFC 500 software if you have that autopilot.

On 4/17/2023 at 10:34 AM, jlunseth said:

Sort of a separate subject, but why does the 275 need software updates at all

There are often a LOT of reasons to update the Software/Firmware in any device that may or may not have anything to do with what the user sees.  As @PT20J said, it may have to do with the Autopilot interface or it may have to do with improvements to process the various data faster.

You may not want to be the first updater, but if you don't hear horror stories here or other places, I typically suggest people always update to the latest SW/FW.  (On all devices, not just Avionics.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeteMc said:

There are often a LOT of reasons to update the Software/Firmware in any device that may or may not have anything to do with what the user sees.  As @PT20J said, it may have to do with the Autopilot interface or it may have to do with improvements to process the various data faster.

You may not want to be the first updater, but if you don't hear horror stories here or other places, I typically suggest people always update to the latest SW/FW.  (On all devices, not just Avionics.)

Firmware I can understand. I am wondering what database updates make a difference in the 275 where it is already driven by a 650/750 or G500? As I said, maybe Map Mode, which those of us with a 750 or G500 probably don't use anyway. SVT is covered by the Terrain database that updates very infrequently. Just wondering, as I said, I am still going to keep updating because there may be something internal I don't see. Just trying to understand. 

3 hours ago, jlunseth said:

I am wondering what database updates make a difference in the 275 where it is already driven by a 650/750 or G500?

Database would be a different issue....  You had said "software" in the post I was replying to.

I update my two GPS and my 275 with a Bundle Update, so all three get updated.  But if there were a Waypoint that the GTN had that the 275 didn't understand, I would think it would just load the Lat/Long.  But someone that does not regularly update their 275 will need to comment on what happens if they have a Wpt in their Route that their older 275 DB does not have.

On 4/17/2023 at 10:34 AM, jlunseth said:

Well they did two updates after me and the Canadian version of the NTSB reported this bug I found 

59933AED-D5B0-4C00-ABE8-CCB814FA2AC3.jpeg

• Sad 1