Weldon Electric Pump Sound

Talked to Teresa @ Aero Motors so pump is on it way!  Seems like the best course of action vs getting one for about 2 to 3 times the overhaul price.  She'll be down a week but well worth it knowing this will be taken care of.

BTW, the mechanical pump, while not leaking yet, will be watched more closely -- I'll be checking it out as time goes.  Its about 18 years old from what I can tell in the logs...

-Don

• 2 weeks later...

Pump arrived!  Had several items replaced (including the pump motor).  Looks great and can't wait to install it. I've attached a video after I removed the pump - removal is VERY easy. 

The new pump needs new connectors - thankfully I ordered Knife Connectors ahead of time ;o)

-Don

IMG_1908 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1909 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1910 (Medium).JPG

• Like 1

When you get it installed, leave the out let side fittings loose, open the fuel selector valve until fuel starts leaking from the loose fitting, then tighten it.  This way when you turn on the pump it’s already full of fuel and won’t run dry.

Pump is installed!  I have video of the run (the overhauled pump is quieter - but still pretty loud).  Install was a breeze.  Here are pics and the new connectors (knife connector for the power side) installed. The pump motor was a little bit shorter (not by much) and what I did was leave the straps on the motor loose so the pump could settle as needed in order to align the fuel hard lines with no 'stress' on the connections.  

-Don

IMG_1915 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1914 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1916 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1917 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1919 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1920 (Medium).JPG

Videos -- after install and then the run (Yes I know the pump is loud but not nearly as loud as the failed pump):

After Install:

The test run (loud is relative ;o):

Flight test went well, new normal for pressures - was 6.5 to 8 psi now 5-6 psi. Need more flights to get verification.
-Don

I hope so. Was not a bad job to do…

Edit:

Just some details before the overhaul:

Jan 1988 the  Weldon Fuel pump replaced the Dukes @ Tack Time 682.56

In May of 1991 the Weldon was Overhauled @ 1193.20 Tach Time

Now in March of 2023 the Weldon was Overhauled @ 4067.30 Tach Time

So 32 years and 2874.1 hours between overhauls -- I still wonder why after 3 years it was overhauled the first time. My Guess it was a 500 hour overhaul -- like the Mags.

-Don

• 2 months later...