G1000 update

keithmiller

Well last week I had my G1000 updated on my 2009 Acclaim at Continental motors FBO AVONICS shop in Alabama . With no help from Garmin who told the shop there it can’t be updated . Do with help from Dugosh in Kerrville who connected me with the guts over at Mooney the shop in Alabama started the update and boy was it a pain in the ass. Two days later I flew home to discover I have no traffic or storm scope . I’ll be returning in a couple of weeks to get that reloaded . Moral to the story is don’t think this is a couple of hour job , it’s difficult and Garmin is no help if your stuck 

6 hours ago, keithmiller said:

Well last week I had my G1000 updated on my 2009 Acclaim at Continental motors FBO AVONICS shop in Alabama . With no help from Garmin who told the shop there it can’t be updated . Do with help from Dugosh in Kerrville who connected me with the guts over at Mooney the shop in Alabama started the update and boy was it a pain in the ass. Two days later I flew home to discover I have no traffic or storm scope . I’ll be returning in a couple of weeks to get that reloaded . Moral to the story is don’t think this is a couple of hour job , it’s difficult and Garmin is no help if your stuck 

Only do this at a shop that has done some before yours. Don't let them learn on your airplane. Ask me how I know.

The Factory got everything straightened out for me, and since I live 12 nm from them, that helped. But you want someone who has done a few and is connected with both Garmin and Mooney - which means you want the Factory or a Mooney Service Center who is also a Garmin dealer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Only do this at a shop that has done some before yours. Don't let them learn on your airplane. Ask me how I know.

The Factory got everything straightened out for me, and since I live 12 nm from them, that helped. But you want someone who has done a few and is connected with both Garmin and Mooney - which means you want the Factory or a Mooney Service Center who is also a Garmin dealer.

I should have asked more questions but we are 90% there . Thanks 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Simply inexcusable that Garmin makes their products so buggy and hard to work with.  Every database cycle is a battle. The FS510 card is horribly slow and the system often fails to recognize the new database.  SD card is a little better, but it’s like rolling the dice.  

I had mine updated at the Avonics shop at continental services in fair hope Alabama 4 weeks ago . There two guys said it’s the worse update they had every done. Constant failures which ended up taking better part of one day plus . I still don’t have my storm scope back and traffic so going back next week to see if we can get that fixed 

48 minutes ago, keithmiller said:

I had mine updated at the Avonics shop at continental services in fair hope Alabama 4 weeks ago . There two guys said it’s the worse update they had every done. Constant failures which ended up taking better part of one day plus . I still don’t have my storm scope back and traffic so going back next week to see if we can get that fixed 

Nothing against them - they are only doing what they know how to do. If it took them over a day and you don't have everything back I wouldn't let them touch it again. Cole over in Georgia has done them, so has Maxwell in Texas and Premier in Florida. 

It is way too complicated of a procedure for the average avionics tech. Mooney does not include step-by-step instructions with the 401.37 update. Unless the shop has  successfully done one before yours they will miss a lot of things. Don't let them brick your G1000.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

There are procedural things that have to happen in order for this to go smoothly.  
I have done it in several planes. Paul Maxwell at Maxwell’s knows how to do it for sure, the avionics guy at premier knows his stuff but is a cranky sob, and they are the most crooked and predatory shop I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with.

I know if there is a 345 transponder, all updates have to be loaded to the transponder first using the usb dongle, it should not be done through the g1000.
the issue of the storm scope and other feature not working is 100% just lack of attention to detail by the shop doing the install. 
I have learned the hard way you have to test all of those feature on the ground before leaving. 
the upside is most of them will not require reinstall. 

Garmin is probably part of the problem, but again, I lay most of this on the FAA for making innovation prohibitively expensive. 
good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I have 401.37 - 

I was told that my SD cards are 8gb (plane is new to me...) and that the new .37 version supports these vs the older 4gb - does that sound right?

I was going to order some extra SD cards so I can fully update at home and simply swap into the plane. Just confirming that 8gb is what I want - any special brand or formatting required?

I found some old threads on this, but, I think everything changes w 401.37

45 minutes ago, wingslevel said:

I have 401.37 - 

I was told that my SD cards are 8gb (plane is new to me...) and that the new .37 version supports these vs the older 4gb - does that sound right?

I was going to order some extra SD cards so I can fully update at home and simply swap into the plane. Just confirming that 8gb is what I want - any special brand or formatting required?

I found some old threads on this, but, I think everything changes w 401.37

I have 0401.37 and I am using 8GB Sandisk SD cards in the bottom slots. I’m also using a 32GB Sandisk SD card in the MFD top slot for flight logging (overkill for sure) and it works fine. All are standard FAT32 format. Earlier software was much more picky about SD card formatting but 0401.37 seems much improved in that respect.

• 5 weeks later...

One of the things the software upgrade will do is give you FIS-B weather so they told me but I have yet to try it since I use XM weather. I didn’t have any problems after the .37 version was installed.

• Like 1

We have done software upgrades on G1000 equipped Bell 505 helicopters and GTX 345 installs.  It’s a bitch.  Because it is OEM, Garmin does not provide support on it.  Usually there is no install guide, so you really need to know what you’re doing to set these things up. 

You might be better asking Don Maxwell , but it changed the engine page with the correct levels on turbo temp , cleared up something on the weather page and I’m sure cleaned ip some bugs in the background .. I can’t prove it but I swear it’s a bit faster 

Ideally you want a Mooney Service Center who is also a Garmin dealer, since Garmin and Mooney have a history of pointing at each other when it comes to glitches. The Factory Service Center in Kerrville did mine and although it wasn't by any means easy, they got it done.

• Like 1