When Did You Buy Your First Airplane?

Quote: Mooneymite

Aircraft ownership is not so much about "EXTRA MONEY" (I dont think such exists!)....it's about priorities.  I live in a fly-in community where most of us make very basic incomes, but flying is a priority.  We can do it; most people can, if aviating is a priority, or do I mean an adiction?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote: PAMooney

1st airplane was purchased when I was 25: 1965 M20C - my father nicknamed it "the ring" because i had a choice between getting engaged/married and buying an airplane and I you can see what choice I made 

2nd airplane is my current M20J at 28 - used for business and also a key element to establishing/maintaining a relationship with my now wife that lived in Albany, Ny when I lived in Philly - she loves to fly and is a keeper.. :)

Trying to get into my 3rd airplane now - M20R Ovation at 34

hey Mitch...great thread you started..lots of great stories...and hopefully enough new 20 and thirty somthings with new disposable income will discover how "real" avation can be ,to replace the old generation rapidly dwindling.I know in my own case..without flying something,even if its only an rc model...life would be pretty boring..kpc

Started flying lessons at 14 (1964), bought 1st airplane at 22  (a 1953 Tripacer), tie down was free at Great Falls, Mt. airport, avgas was .48/gal, I paid an instructor 4.00/ hour to instruct me in the Tripacer. ppl in 1973, commerical in 1974, instrument 1984. My first Mooney was a wrecked C model at Great Falls Mt airport. Owned various airplanes on a limited budget.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, noob here.

I'm 43, hope to finish my PPL before I'm 44 (June). I am completely infatuated with the Mooney. I probably have over researched and looked at every single one listed on the internet. I want one! I came to this site in my quest for more knowledge and would like to extend my thanks to everyone here.

My question is this: Is this the right plane for a noob (very low time) pilot? I'm talking about a C,E,F,G, and maybe an early J model since that's all that I can really afford at this time. I basically want to use it for weekend hops and occasional travel to other states. I also was thinking to use it to get my instrument rating in. What do you think?

Sorry for high-jacking the thread, but this seemed to be a good place since the topic was buying your first plane.

Robert AKA Tmoney

Pilot Wanna-be

***UPDATE-  Never mind, I found the answer in another thread (just had to search with the correct key words)

I've sailed all my life, casual sailing and racing (monohull and a lot of catamaran sailing). I LOVE racing sailboats...setting up for the start, working your way up to comittee boat without getting pushed over or above the comittee boat (head up - HEAD UP (up yours!!)), letting the boat breath as you ease her down while staying above the rest of the fleet (hopefully), rounding the weather mark...reach like hell for the wing mark and everything out for the leward mark....WOW - That's a thrill!!

I started flying gliders in 2000. It was similar to sailing but turned on it's side Foot in mouth . I bought my "sailplane" in 2002. Added a power rating in 2004, bought a Cherokee in 2004, and bought the Mooney and sold the cherokee in the same week in 2010 - great trade!

I love all 3 disciplines!

It is interesting how many pilots sail as well.

• 2 weeks later...