When Did You Buy Your First Airplane?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An aircraft is not a cheap endeavor.  Even an "economical" one like a mooney.  I'd be willing to venture out on a limb here and say that people under 40 that can afford one can count themselves in the top 1% of earners out there.  You can buy a pretty nice house for the cost of some of the mooney's I've seen out there, not to mention annual budget, fuel, insurance.  I struggle to keep my J on a pretty solidly middle class income.  If it wasn't for some decent stock investments, I would have never been able to make the purchase.

I think it's really a cost issue that keeps the young out of ownership.  Those that do have the money when younger probably don't have the time to devote to lessons.  I'm thinking All those new 20-something millionaires I'm reading about due to the silicon valley IPO's.  Just my guess...

Quote: Bennett

First owned airplane: a Mooney 231, soon converted to a Trophy 261/262.  This was about 25 years ago. Followed by a Cessna 172, another Cessna 172, a Piper 235, a Piper 180, a Cessna 120, a Dova DV-1, and now back to Mooneys - a 1983 M20J this time. Learned to fly around 1957 (miltary version of a DeHaviland Beaver on wheels), and then no flying until around 1985. SEL,SES, Instrument, Commercial.  Couldn't afford to fly in the 1960s and 1970s - too busy with career and family, although in retrospect, I should have found a way. I have several thousand hours now, and I am expecting to make the big decision to "hang up the keys" in three years when I will be 80.  Neither of my children have any interest in flying (although I offered to pay their instruction through at least a private certificate), nor are any of my four granddaughters, all between 18 and 22. Although I hate to say it, I believe that GA as we know it is dying.  I've flown Young Eagles, and taken many children of friends flying, and adult friends for that matter, but with one notable exception, none of the young folk or friends I have taken flying (to my knowledge) have pursed flying instruction. The one exception is a wonderful young man who now is flying C130s in Afganastan. It was a pleasure to be one of his mentors in aviation. 

I am quite stunned at the relative youth of most of these answers. I guess if I'd really wanted to I could have afforded a plane in my mid-30s, but I didn't get the bug until age 42 when I got my PPL. Got my first plane just a few months later, though. I knew once the bug hit that renting was not the way to go for me!

Quote: M016576

An aircraft is not a cheap endeavor.  Even an "economical" one like a mooney.  I'd be willing to venture out on a limb here and say that people under 40 that can afford one can count themselves in the top 1% of earners out there.  You can buy a pretty nice house for the cost of some of the mooney's I've seen out there, not to mention annual budget, fuel, insurance.  I struggle to keep my J on a pretty solidly middle class income.  If it wasn't for some decent stock investments, I would have never been able to make the purchase.

I think it's really a cost issue that keeps the young out of ownership.  Those that do have the money when younger probably don't have the time to devote to lessons.  I'm thinking All those new 20-something millionaires I'm reading about due to the silicon valley IPO's.  Just my guess...

I haven't bought a plane yet (I am fortunate enough to have two Mooneys in the family already) but I thought I would share my insight on the young pilot problem. I got my private last year at 25. 

Almost all of my peers think I am crazy for flying in a small plane, especially one made in 1968. I have explained that they get annual inspections, unlike a car, and that we maintain the planes to the highest standards, but they just dont seem to get it. I've had several turn down a free scenic ride out of fear.

My honest opinion is that my generation isnt made of as tough of material as the older folks, generally speaking. I'm pretty disappointed in us.  

I am surprised at the relative youth behind these avitars.  It is really nice to see younger people able to find a way to get something you can really enjoy and have great memories with.  After a 30 year hiatus, kids through college, mortgages, etc, I bought my J at 52 a year ago.  Yep, fifty friggen two. In my mind I am still 25.  Got a couple of Harleys, fly the Mooney and watch my friends get older.  Not me though.

"My honest opinion is that my generation isnt made of as tough of material as the older folks, generally speaking. I'm pretty disappointed in us."

Don't give up on your friends Zane!  Get them to the airport and show them the plane.  Explain how well kept your Mooney is/are.   Even take them to your local FBO/maint. facility and ask to have the owner/manager or other qualified and knowldedgable person explain the strict maint. criteria on our "old" airplanes!

Make it happen!!!  They will be educated and surprised by the truth.  Surprised  You can help.

Quote: Zane

I haven't bought a plane yet (I am fortunate enough to have two Mooneys in the family already) but I thought I would share my insight on the young pilot problem. I got my private last year at 25. 

Almost all of my peers think I am crazy for flying in a small plane, especially one made in 1968. I have explained that they get annual inspections, unlike a car, and that we maintain the planes to the highest standards, but they just dont seem to get it. I've had several turn down a free scenic ride out of fear.

My honest opinion is that my generation isnt made of as tough of material as the older folks, generally speaking. I'm pretty disappointed in us.  

So Gretchen bought her first airplane at 26, an M20C....and leased an AA-1 American Yankee (a REAL Yankee) before that. She a lot of her instrument rating in the Yankee....with ARC radios that died everytime she got into actual. Surprised

I bought a homebuilt kit at age 20, partners in an M20F at 24, upgraded that to a J at 26, finished the homebuilt at 26, bought another homebuilt (Long EZ) at 34, married Gretchen and she had our current J at the time, sold the EZ at 41, bought an Aerostar at 49.

Early on, did not drive a fancy car, have fancy duds or blow money on cigs and fancy food.

Quote: KSMooniac

That is unfortunate, but I kinda feel the same way about my generation as well now and then.  (I'm 38)  I give rides and try to get folks to go on trips as often as I can, and encourage you (and all of us) to do the same.  At your age, you should grab a friend and do a double-date fly out lunch or dinner day trip!  Find a cool place to go with a courtesy car, and share our magical world!

First lesson, June 1999, age 49

PPL, December 1999, age 49

First plane, 1967 M20C, N721LP September 2000, age 50

Instrument rating, November 2003, age 53

Second plane, 1982 M20J, N36CE December 2006, age 56

Third plane, 1985 M20K, N5810Z, October 2011, age 61

I wanted to do it earlier, but had t wait until kids were grown to afford lessons and plane.  Wish I could have done it sooner.

PPL at 20 in 1992

Inst at 22 in 1994 (took just 14 days) before I left for Germany.

Finally bought my first (and last) plane at 37 in 2009. 

I wanted to buy a plane since the early 1990's, just couldn't afford it earlier in my career with a young family living on a single income.  Now, I'm in a better financial situation and it allowed me to get something fast, but economical.  It's been a great traveling airplane.  There were challenges at first, mostly from my wife who fears flying in general, but she now feels more comfortable flying in our Mooney than on the airlines.  Go figure...

As for my kids, one loves it and is looking at going to one of the services to fly.  The other could care less.  I agree with Job (even if he was kidding) that many youth today prefer the simulators because they can do some crazy things in an airplane and just hit reset when they crash.  My kids love Real Flight G6, which is an R/C simulator, but they have shown some wicked skills when they are dog fighting each other.  I try to temper the virtual craziness with reality as much as I can though.  My 13 year old gets it and has done really well flying our Mooney from the right seat.  He'll solo by time he gets to be 16 with no issues.  If I hadn't bought the plane, who knows what his interests would be.  It certainly helps having one in the family.

Next on the list is to find an airpark so I can either build or buy a home with a hangar attached somewhere in Florida when I retire from the military and begin a second career.  Thinking Spruce Creek... Cool

Brian

Scott

Thanks for the kind words...It's all good.  Let me return the sentiment...Thank you and all the other Mooniacs out there for supporting the Military and for paying your taxes.  Every time I practice my craft, I am acutely aware of what it costs to put an F-18E in the air.  That wouldn't be possible without everyones contributions.

Fly Safe!