Flight Plan L45 to KWVI

Jorge0272

Hi guys, just wanted to run a flight plan by you all.

I have not flown in about 8 years. Did all my flying in Miami. I am now in CA. Got an instructor and did my review and now back up in the air. Planning a small "cross country" this weekend. L45 to KWVI. Hopefully the weather is good. I am new to SoCal so if anyone can give me any flight planning tips? 

Will be flying a Cessna 177B going VFR @ 6500FT. It has no updated avionics. Basic VFR airplane. I will have Foreflight on my iPad with a Stratus 3. 

L45 - STIGR - L62 - AVE - C80 - KCVH - KWVI

Agree.  Bakersfield area - KPRB - KSNS - KWVI.  Watch the restricted area NW of Paso Robles.  Just stay slightly east of it.  Stay above Salinas Class D (2500 MSL), or contact the tower to transit, or skirt the Class D.  From Salinas that will put you on the 45 degree entry to Watsonville runway 20.  That's the preferred runway nearly all the time.

Watch the weather this Sunday.  Ceilings look to be in the 3000 MSL range around Watsonville, higher around Paso and unlimited for Bakersfield.  Maintain cloud and terrain clearance over the hills east of Paso.  Nice low valley from Paso to Watsonville.

Congrats on getting back into flying and we look forward to seeing you.

5 hours ago, Skyland said:

Agree.  Bakersfield area - KPRB - KSNS - KWVI.  Watch the restricted area NW of Paso Robles.  Just stay slightly east of it. 

Controllers will generally tell you to stay east of 101, even when the restricted area is cold.

14 hours ago, 201Mooniac said:

Controllers will generally tell you to stay east of 101, even when the restricted area is cold.

Interesting. That hasn’t really been my experience. I fly through the Hunter MOA all the time (just did it a couple of days ago) and the controllers are usually good about letting you know if the restricted areas are hot and they just ask you to remain clear. They do like to point out R-2504 because people clip it all the time but I’ve never had them restrict me to one side of the highway. Sometimes if the controller seems anxious I’ll say “we’ll remain clear of 2504” just to calm their nerves.

I forgot when you were planning your trip but if it’s windy it can get pretty bumpy over those hills on the direct route. The valley is usually ok.

39E9F70B-A4F6-4121-A3A1-162807A3CD73.jpeg

26 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

Interesting. That hasn’t really been my experience. I fly through the Hunter MOA all the time (just did it a couple of days ago) and the controllers are usually good about letting you know if the restricted areas are hot and they just ask you to remain clear. They do like to point out R-2504 because people clip it all the time but I’ve never had them restrict me to one side of the highway. Sometimes if the controller seems anxious I’ll say “we’ll remain clear of 2504” just to calm their nerves.

I haven't flown that route much in the last couple of years so maybe the keep east of 101 isn't much of a thing anymore.  When I used to fly it a lot the MOA was often hot and it was just the easy landmark to make sure you kept clear.

• Like 1

As just mentioned in another thread, the Watsonville fly in has been changed to tomorrow from Sunday due to weather concerns. Tomorrow, noon Saturday 2/25 Watsonville KWVI. Lunch at Ella’s in the terminal building around 1. Sorry about the last minute change. Hope to see you there. Fly safe.