Touch Up Paint

Scott Ashton

2 hours ago, Scott Ashton said:

I am trying to get some touchup paint for my 85 M20J.  The paint codes I have are Rosetone White (570-649), Crimson Maple 579-607, and Autumn Spice - 579-611.   Does anyone have a source for matching touchup paint?

Scott

Just to elaborate on @201Mooniac a little, I’m only aware of a single auto paint store in my area.  They can electronically determine the color of your somewhat faded paint, and mix a container that will match almost perfectly.  The original colors are probably not relevant at this point.  Not cheap, but it will look perfect except for potential differences in how it shines.

Agreed with the above comments. I did this with my Cherokee. I took them an inspection panel and they mixed up a few rattle cans. I'd assume they could mix you up a pint but that's ALOT of touch-ups. For small brush type touch-ups I just spray a little puddle onto a clean smooth surface and use a tiny brush to touch up chips ect. 

There is a company AeroTouchups listed in the Google machine. It is in Titusville FL and it may have been the place that I used to get some paint a few years ago. I’m hedging a bit because I can’t lay my hands on the info on exactly who I used, but that sounds right.

57 minutes ago, BDPetersen said:

There is a company AeroTouchups listed in the Google machine. It is in Titusville FL and it may have been the place that I used to get some paint a few years ago. I’m hedging a bit because I can’t lay my hands on the info on exactly who I used, but that sounds right.

Aerotouchups.com.  They are expensive though.  I think $54.90 for a spray can of Matterhorn white is a little expensive but it is for an airplane, afterall.....

5 minutes ago, Greg Ellis said:

Aerotouchups.com.  They are expensive though.  I think $54.90 for a spray can of Matterhorn white is a little expensive but it is for an airplane, afterall.....

And, paint that is a few years old may not be Matterhorn White any more.  White is probably less affected by the environment than other colors, but they all change with time.

4 hours ago, Scott Ashton said:

I am trying to get some touchup paint for my 85 M20J.  The paint codes I have are Rosetone White (570-649), Crimson Maple 579-607, and Autumn Spice - 579-611.   Does anyone have a source for matching touchup paint?

Scott

Adding to some of the above comments, I bought this touch-up applicator.  Have not used it yet, and won't until weather gets a little warmer, but it looks to be a little more precise than a brush:

https://www.amazon.com/KINGART-920-Fine-Painting-Pen-5MM/dp/B07F6M1XBB?th=1

I watched professionals at the BMW factory in SC do chip touch up.  They used the typical auto touchup paint you can buy at the auto parts store.  But they used a very fine artists brush.

They actually filled the chip with paint, then once dry, buffed it flat. 

After, you can't tell.

I think the paint matching cameras are running close to 10k these days.

If it helps, I can scan the paint and will provide you with the axalta codes (Imron, spies hecker, cromax, challenger, duxson, nason) at no cost- but I’m in California

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
The Imron AF400 codes don't cross over to anything else than anybody makes. So unless you have somebody actually mix  AF400 up the code in the book doesn't really matter

Yes and no.

Imron has a more reduced number of PT toners that are used on a number of product lines beyond imron. Beyond the Imron codes on their chip cards, Axalta sells an updated set of 2 spectramaster color books with a greater number of colors that can be mixed. Even spectramaster is limited in their shades and colors.

The cameras which are made by the same manufacturers for various paint brands - and the chromatically they read are matched against the pigment databases the manufacturers provide. When they match a color code, you’re often given a number of color match choices and codes with a percentage of accuracy. You have to calibrate the camera oftenish to get the right options.

I mix all of our own colors in my shop. Since we also paint cars on occasion, I have a full complement of Spies Hecker waterborne, challenger solvent, and other paints - so paint mixing and paint matching is something that we do often.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 802flyer said:

When going to auto store match route, do they have options in the type of paint they mix up for you (beyond just “touch up paint”)? If so, what type is recommended?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a relatively small area to paint, you might find a store that can mix 2k paint in a rattle can:

https://youtu.be/JeeWzI2iZZk

Or get a computer color match followed by 2k clear:

https://youtu.be/VDtgrHQaK3k