1983 Mooney M20J Missile 300 for Sale - $199,999

Seth

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

Why settle with only 2? @rocketman has 3....

And it does have a different kind of engine too - so there's that.  And I could paint it yellow because I had a hard time choosing between yellow and blue when I was choosing how to paint my rocket.

On 4/9/2023 at 1:11 AM, carusoam said:

Keep an eye out for the PA46T

The Piper 6 seater with the Rocket Engineering PT6 turbine STC…

If you liked the Missile… Ask Jerry about his JetProp…. :)
Doc can fill you in on all the Piper details…  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Those PA46’s … other wise know as the “M Class” Malibu, Mirage or Meridian have always had an certain appeal to me from both ascetics and performance, but there is just something that I can’t seem to make jive in my mind about them. I always get that same feeling in them that I also get in a V tail Bonanza. I have never had or should I say experienced that same deep in my gut something’s wrong or when is something going to go wrong just anytime now feeling in any of the M20 series Mooney’s nor have I in the A36 Bonanza family. You notice I said A36, not 36.

23 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

And it does have a different kind of engine too - so there's that.  And I could paint it yellow because I had a hard time choosing between yellow and blue when I was choosing how to paint my rocket.

I've always LOVED yellow.

-Seth

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Detailed the Missile today and touched up the White paint. I’m planning to have the Black Cherry Leading Edges sprayed in the next two weeks.

Then we’ll take pics and list.

Here are some clean interior shots with the folding split seats down and removed for cargo.

-Seth

A1CAC299-EDBA-46B5-AA17-5728DD45FC78.jpeg

99967619-5FD2-43EC-B2FD-3FBF2A01D8F6.jpeg

20E3142B-A232-41B9-876E-50CC5A58473D.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2023 at 1:25 AM, ilovecornfields said:

I like those covers over the back seats. Did you make them yourself? What kind of material is it?

Leather. And it came that way when I bought it in 2011. I’ve used leather cleaner and treatment. The floor I vacuum with a dust buster type device.

-Seth

• 3 weeks later...

She's all ready

-Detailed inside and out

-Touch up paint applied to black cherry and white sections including on landing gear as suggested by Mooney Space buddies.

-Resprayed leading edge in black cherry sections back to first seam

-Resprayed tail leading edge black cherry sections

-Resprayed lower cowling black cherry section

-Repainted throttle as suggested by Mooney Space buddies.

-Touched up panel with flat black where it made sense

-Took some AMAZING pics at Dawn on Wednesday before taking my oldest daughter on a Daddy Daughter date to brunch and then the beach for the day. I'll post the basic pics and then will remove most of this post and update with the sale pics. She should be on Trade-A-Plane and Controller by the end of next week.

-I'm offering a finders fee for anyone that finds me a buyer.

-Seth

• Like 2

On 2/19/2023 at 9:24 AM, ArtVandelay said:

If I was Seth I would clean up the throttle knob or replace the entire cable assembly, it makes a bad first impression.

I cleaned up the throttle knob and repainted it. I also touched up the nose landing gear for exactly what you suggested - good first impressions. Thank you

I have a gas tug and two tow bars. The shorter one I would sell separately. The longer/extendable one would go with the airplane. The gas powered EZ tug I’d consider selling but may use as part of a shared partnership I may move forward with on a six seater.

-Seth

• Seth changed the title to 1983 Mooney M20J Missile 300 for Sale - $199,999

Hello Seth,

I have owned several Mooneys in the past, including a Rocket... recently sold my 231 and am looking at a Bravo, when I came across your plane, looks nice.  Was the prop and engine work due to damage? 

I have a 4 Blade MT composite for my experimental and I know they are not cheap!

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Dasmacci said:

Hello Seth,

I have owned several Mooneys in the past, including a Rocket... recently sold my 231 and am looking at a Bravo, when I came across your plane, looks nice.  Was the prop and engine work due to damage? 

I have a 4 Blade MT composite for my experimental and I know they are not cheap!

Thanks.

I'm not Seth but hopefully he won't mind me chiming in... I believe he got directed into a ditch/depression/hole taxiing in the grass at OSH a few years ago and had a prop strike.  Easily rectified with an appropriate amount of cash, patience, and frustration!  Unless you need the extra baggage room of a Bravo or other Long Body Mooney, this plane would be hard to beat IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scott,

Thanks for the reply... no need for the extra room of the bravo, the one I'm looking at is a 2000 model year and is not 3000 miles away... which is a big consideration.

Also, the 430 is headed for no support very soon, unfortunately, but love the 4 blade and the non turbo on Seth's missile.

Decisions... decisions.

Thanks.

The 430 should soldier-on for many more years IMO.  Bevan Aviation in Wichita is doing component-level repairs and expect to be supporting the fleet for quite a while as units are retired for one reason or another and get scavenged for parts that can't be sourced new.  I just had my 430 serviced there to include button snap dome replacement and COM board replacement.  I got the screen cleaned/refreshed for free while they had it apart as well.  All that to say I would not discount a candidate plane too much if it has a 430 installed today.  FWIW, I have a 530/430 combo and am only now starting to plan for replacements in the next few years, but I have a hangar + home build coming up and hope to defer panel replacement until after that is complete...which could take another 2-3 years from now.  Garmin of course is still doing flat-rate repairs and have announced end-of-life, but I don't believe they've publicly said how many years of parts they predict to have on hand.  I think my 430 was last serviced (one sticky button) in 2015 or 2016, so I got a lot of use between trips to the shop.

Thank you Scott for providing the info: Yes, the 4 blade MT replaced the damaged prop from Oshkosh while under Marshal. EAA insurance covered me as I was under marshal which was nice as I didn't have to make a claim to my insurance. I actually stopped and tired to go around the bad area and then was directed back into it. I learned if I don't want to taxi there I should just pull the mixture and hold up the line. Which I did (without holding up the line) in 2022 when I returned with the 4 blade.

PM me for more details but while the engine was off getting overhauled (the tear down showed nothing from the prop strike) but it had been 10 years and for a bit more I was able to get new cylinders, everything overhauled/replaced, I did a ton of work firewall forward like replacing the shock absorbers/engine mounts, R&Ring the Rocket Engine Mount, sending off the removed exaust for overhaul, new block heater, etc. . . .

The lighter prop also gave me some UL, shifted my CG back just a bit which took away the nose heavy feel of the STCed Rocket and Missile. She's more balanced now.

I made a Oshkosh "special" type deal on the prop as I was there, so I took the opportunity. Hartzel would not budge on their price, but they would make me a new prop as there are no Missile props out there as it's a one off prop with run of one per airplane.

-Seth 

• Like 1