Remember Way Back When

I started in the days of every "stewardess" was Playboy caliber. I also had one at Eastern that had to go down the isle sideways and wouldn't fit through the over wing exit. I've had 18 yrs olds to 70 yr olds back in my cabin BUT I tried to protect them. 

I had the dubious honor at one airline of kicking off a 3 year old and kicking off the most pax on one flight (4)

I also have had a standing ovation by the passengers for kicking someone off

I made it a rule to never take a problem in the air. For my protection and my FAs.  When asked by the Chief Pilot - 91.3 

Never had that challenged. 

You get back what you sow. I greeted my passengers at the door while boarding with a smile.

I did the same at the end of the flight.  No one seems interested in doing that today

At one airline we found that pax would change airlines for $5 on a flight segment. 

Hence we now have Spirit and Frontier (one of which I retired from and they treated me very well my entire time I was there). 

I gave up non-rev because of the seat hassles. I now book myself up front (because I can) when I have to go fly in the death tube. 

Had my worst ride ever on Westjet (booked by a cruise company) Absolutely horrible people. Never again. 

I do think some times trouble in flight today is self induced and there is also a generational shift in attitudes today that I didn;t have to deal with.  

Most of the time I go Mooney and I can beat airline trip time as far as HOU most of the time considering all the time wasted going early to the airport for the death tube and TSA crap. Especially if I leave out of my home airport and have the transfer delays for connections. 

• Like 5

What a great thread.  I enjoyed every bit of it.  I try to be invisible when I fly "death tube" (my new phrase).  Elbows in, no recline and noise cancelling headset on.  TSA pre and global are invaluable.  "it" happens when you fly.  When "it" doesn't, I call that a win.

15 hours ago, cliffy said:

I started in the days of every "stewardess" was Playboy caliber. I also had one at Eastern that had to go down the isle sideways and wouldn't fit through the over wing exit. I've had 18 yrs olds to 70 yr olds back in my cabin BUT I tried to protect them. 

I had the dubious honor at one airline of kicking off a 3 year old and kicking off the most pax on one flight (4)

I also have had a standing ovation by the passengers for kicking someone off

I made it a rule to never take a problem in the air. For my protection and my FAs.  When asked by the Chief Pilot - 91.3 

Never had that challenged. 

You get back what you sow. I greeted my passengers at the door while boarding with a smile.

I did the same at the end of the flight.  No one seems interested in doing that today

At one airline we found that pax would change airlines for $5 on a flight segment. 

Hence we now have Spirit and Frontier (one of which I retired from and they treated me very well my entire time I was there). 

I gave up non-rev because of the seat hassles. I now book myself up front (because I can) when I have to go fly in the death tube. 

Had my worst ride ever on Westjet (booked by a cruise company) Absolutely horrible people. Never again. 

I do think some times trouble in flight today is self induced and there is also a generational shift in attitudes today that I didn;t have to deal with.  

Most of the time I go Mooney and I can beat airline trip time as far as HOU most of the time considering all the time wasted going early to the airport for the death tube and TSA crap. Especially if I leave out of my home airport and have the transfer delays for connections. 

I flew AA from KCLT - KPHX yesterday. The captain was standing there at the door when I exited greeting all the passengers. I told him it was cool the way he threaded his way between the two storms in Texas. He said "thanks" and shook my hand.

I remember when Delta required the landing pilot to be at the cabin door to say goodbye to the passengers.

Once VERY HARD landing in a 727, I was row 1 and by the time I stood up, the FO was there with the cabin door closed behind him.  He did not look happy.

It really helps to pay the full fare…. Or fly 100,000 miles a year…
Sit up near the front…
in a big wide chair… with lots of leg room…
Where the service improves a notch… ratio of customers to service people is low….
and the other customers have been there before…
Special lines for special people…
Concierge lounge with complimentary beverages…
A place to wash up after your all night flight…

Sometimes the platinum card… helps.   It is based on how many times or miles you have flown…

When you can’t do that…
expect to get a middle seat between two other people that aren’t FAA standard…

Enjoy the ride…

Best regards,
-a-

Amen! I had a Chicago-> Vegas trip two years ago in January. The WX was a little challenging for the Mooney, so I booked a coach seat in the germ tube. After lamenting tales of the mask-resistant toddler one row ahead and the babushka and her daughter using their outdoor voices for the whole flight to a fellow Acclaim owner, he set me right.

There I was, ready to pay for a 12 hour round trip in the mooney but skimping on the germ tube back in steerage.

First class isn’t just for upgrades….
-dan

Elitist mombo jumbo?  I just suck it up on dometic flights.  Not worth it to upgrade for domestic IMO.  Across the pond?  100% worth the price.  If as a pilot you don't have noise canceling headset...lol.  Blah blah blah...

Edited by Echo

It’s been a long time sInce I flew commercial . 

Never  had issue with pilots, landing or stewards on major air lines.

Rude passengers that elbowed their way took over the adjoining seats were mitigated by helpful stewards that found me another seat.

Still the parking , waiting, checking  and other passengers made it terrible.

Mooney is best.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 4:04 PM, Pinecone said:

I remember when Delta required the landing pilot to be at the cabin door to say goodbye to the passengers.

Once VERY HARD landing in a 727, I was row 1 and by the time I stood up, the FO was there with the cabin door closed behind him.  He did not look happy.

Even IF you know what you are doing in a 727 it can turn around and bite you any time you land for no reason what so ever, BTDT 

Its not  a hard landing until the masks drop along with ceiling panels in a 727 BTDT TOO (NOT me landing)!!!

16 minutes ago, cliffy said:

Even IF you know what you are doing in a 727 it can turn around and bite you any time you land for no reason what so ever, BTDT 

Its not  a hard landing until the masks drop along with ceiling panels in a 727 BTDT TOO (NOT me landing)!!!

I have heard that.

This one was hard enough, I looked to see if the gear legs were poking up through the wing. :D

I have ridden through a couple of very nice landings on long haul flights recently.  One was so smooth, I wasn't sure we were down until the reversers came online.