Which 3" GPS nav/com

16 minutes ago, Wildhorsetrail said:

I believe my best upgrade path forward is to remove a KNS 80 and a KX 195 and use the KNS 80 space to install a GPS NAV/COM. With the approximately 3 inches available, which box would you put in there? Garmin? Avidyne? King? Other? 

If you limit yourself to gps nav/com, I agree with @ArtVandelay.

If you have an existing nav, a gnc355 is nice too (and less $$).  I like having ils and VOR capabilities, but we don’t need 2 anymore and a waas gps.

• Like 1

Let's go a little deeper into the water. Here is a picture of the panel. I would actually almost rather put the GNC 355 mentioned above. But does anyone know of a GOOD nav/com that would replace the one I have below the KNS 80? That would give me a basic nav, 2 coms (GNC 355 as No.1) and a GPS. I'd be completely satisfied with that.

20220728_085511.jpg

31 minutes ago, Wildhorsetrail said:

Let's go a little deeper into the water. Here is a picture of the panel. I would actually almost rather put the GNC 355 mentioned by Ragsf15e. But does anyone know of a GOOD nav/com that would replace the one I have below the KNS 80? That would give me a basic nav, 2 coms (GNC 355 as No.1) and a GPS. I'd be completely satisfied with that.

20220728_085511.jpg

The GNC 255 is a good NAV/COM. Pair that with the GNC355 GPS/COM and you’ll be set with dual com with one each GPS and NAV.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RoundTwo said:

The GNC 255 is a good NAV/COM. Pair that with the GNC355 GPS/COM and you’ll be set with dual com with one each GPS and NAV.

Yeah I’d agree.  If you want to save a little money but still get a recent nav comm, SL30 is also an option.

https://sarasotaavionics.com/avionics/sl30-used

can probably find cheaper, but this is reasonable for an idea. It’s “digital” too, so it can input into g5s as #2 if you want.

3 hours ago, 201Steve said:

Garmin, so you don’t end up in that poor thread about the aerocruze AP with the others. 

All you need for a GFC500 is a G5.   There've been installs with a G5 and an IFD.    An IFD 440 would be a good choice for a 3" GPS nav as well.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

One thing most people don’t know about the GTN 750/650 is that it is possible to monitor the standby com frequency. So you can talk on com1 active, Put ATIS in the standby frequency and press MON, And you will hear both.

So theoretically one could get away with a single 650, with WAAS GPS, VLOC/GS, And the ability to listen to two frequencies and talk on one. 

risky, but possible 

• Thanks 1