This Guy Figured Out How to Save Mooney!

201er

You laugh but I wish my J was a tailwheel.

It would weigh less, more useful load

Landing gear would be much less complex.

Gone would be the 737 turning radius and fear of nose wheel strut damage, it would pivot around either main gear, you would be amazed how much easier that makes parking.

It would be significantly faster because of less frontal area, the cowling would only need to cover just the engine.

There would be lots more room inside as that box between the two front seats would be gone.

‘It would be easier to get into and out of as the trailing edge of the wing would be lower.

Think Lopresti Fury but with four seats and the Mooney wing and tail. Look at the Fury’s cowling.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

You laugh but I wish my J was a tailwheel.

It would weigh less, more useful load

Landing gear would be much less complex.

Gone would be the 737 turning radius and fear of nose wheel strut damage, it would pivot around either main gear, you would be amazed how much easier that makes parking.

It would be significantly faster because of less frontal area, the cowling would only need to cover just the engine.

There would be lots more room inside as that box between the two front seats would be gone.

‘It would be easier to get into and out of as the trailing edge of the wing would be lower.

Think Lopresti Fury but with four seats and the Mooney wing and tail. Look at the Fury’s cowling.

It’s been done but it wasn’t faster or much roomier.

C93C4555-6E1C-47E4-84FA-5D07BB21272C.jpeg

Yes, @carusoam it's groundhog day :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 201er said:

It’s been done but it wasn’t faster or much roomier.

C93C4555-6E1C-47E4-84FA-5D07BB21272C.jpeg

Yes, @carusoam it's groundhog day :P

You know that’s the Fury, which is a modified Globe Swift not a Mooney. right?

Other that being a low wing monoplane, there isn’t much similarity, but even without the laminar flow wing etc., the Fury was at least 20 mph faster than the J.

‘Both claimed marketing airspeeds, so who knows reality.

The Globe Swift first flew in 1942, it’s a very old design.

• Like 1

I would be good with all planes being tailwheel, or on floats.

What we need is more, and smaller airports, with grass runways. Also airliners on floats.

Instead of landing way out at airports, they could often land in the downtown areas of cities, as many are beside the ocean, a river runs through them, or a nearby lake.

That tailwheel Bonanza would be cool, and give mine chaff, and rear facing missiles please.

Edited by Canadian Gal