Turbo Fail and aborted departure

Leaving IND I only was able to get 27” Out of my typical 37” MP.  #6EGT was running 150 deg cooler the day earlier.  All other parameters were normal.  I decided to abort my takeoff and figure out my next steps.  Called Anderson over at IAD so I will probably see about getting over there next week.  I’m hoping it’s not a whole turbo overhaul… what does that #6 EGT indicate? 

• Like 2

Wise decision. Hard to diagnose from here, just speculation. The engine and the turbo have a symbiotic relationship, the engine has to be making power to spin the turbo, and if the turbo doesn’t spin the engine won’t make power. The problem may be with the engine and not the turbo. Maybe #6 is not working. Better find out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jlunseth said:

Wise decision. Hard to diagnose from here, just speculation. The engine and the turbo have a symbiotic relationship, the engine has to be making power to spin the turbo, and if the turbo doesn’t spin the engine won’t make power. The problem may be with the engine and not the turbo. Maybe #6 is not working. Better find out.

#6 CHT was normal.. the engine is about 125hrs SMOH.  Tough trying to find someone on the field to diagnose…. Still working on that

Good call BW!

There may be a few things that we can check…

1) got an engine monitor?

2) Download data, upload to Savvy, push the share button, copy link here…

3) be sure to include many flights up to and including the last one….

4) Was the turbo OH’d with the engine?  (Only 125hrs on both?)

5) There is a maintenance check with a magnet on a stick… to see how free moving the turbine is…

6) The manifold pressure controller has a few parts that get lubricated with mouse milk… see if something is sticking…

7) Trouble finding a good mechanic? There are MSers in the area… put out the request.

8) Savvy has a good service… might want to consider seeing if they have something that helps your situation…

Good luck with your next steps…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, BravoWhiskey said:

I guess I’ll start to add the Mouse Milk to my wastegate during each oil change.  Turned out that’s all it required.  Thanks all for the useful intel.

I just did an exhaust inspection on @ragedracer1977 T310R. We lube the wastegates at every inspection, which is required every 100 hours. It seems like a good interval. If you make sure it is done at every annual, that would probably be good enough. Any idea how long it had been?

11 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I just did an exhaust inspection on @ragedracer1977 T310R. We lube the wastegates at every inspection, which is required every 100 hours. It seems like a good interval. If you make sure it is done at every annual, that would probably be good enough. Any idea how long it had been?

It’s actually every 50 hours B)

18 hours ago, BravoWhiskey said:

I guess I’ll start to add the Mouse Milk to my wastegate during each oil change.  Turned out that’s all it required.  Thanks all for the useful intel.

Wastegate and slip joints in the exhaust system every oil change is cheap maintenance.

On 1/31/2023 at 3:55 PM, BravoWhiskey said:

Leaving IND I only was able to get 27” Out of my typical 37” MP.  #6EGT was running 150 deg cooler the day earlier.  All other parameters were normal.  I decided to abort my takeoff and figure out my next steps.  Called Anderson over at IAD so I will probably see about getting over there next week.  I’m hoping it’s not a whole turbo overhaul… what does that #6 EGT indicate? 

what was your RPM

What was your fuel flow

It is possible it is the waste gate 

also have seen specks of carbon in MP line  that ‘clog’ the orifice and then that gives you a low reading

This really should be posted in the Bravo section

I just got back to DYL now.  It was definitely wastegate in need of lube.  That’s what the guys from Bold Aviation did for me.  Everything was perfect for the flight home.  But to answer the other questions my MP was 27 and RPM was 2570.  I didn’t look at FF.  I aborted immediately and got off the runway.  Since my oil changes are every 25hrs that’s when my line intervals will be.  I don’t know when the last time it was done.  I don’t see an entry in my logs for it and I know I have not don’t it in the 2 yrs I’ve had the plane. 

11 hours ago, BravoWhiskey said:

I just got back to DYL now.  It was definitely wastegate in need of lube.  That’s what the guys from Bold Aviation did for me.  Everything was perfect for the flight home.  But to answer the other questions my MP was 27 and RPM was 2570.  I didn’t look at FF.  I aborted immediately and got off the runway.  Since my oil changes are every 25hrs that’s when my line intervals will be.  I don’t know when the last time it was done.  I don’t see an entry in my logs for it and I know I have not don’t it in the 2 yrs I’ve had the plane. 

Every 25 is when I lube mine.  Not sure how your setup is for access, but mine is a panel under the nacelles.  I got a little oil can and put a hose on it.  Stick the hose up there and give it a squirt.  

4D7F6711-0AC0-4846-B704-CB841704D2E3.jpeg