NorCal VFR Routes to Arizona

katzhome

Hi All,

I'm starting in on my opportunities to "stretch my legs" with N43CA.  One is to travel to potential kids colleges, like Flagstaff (High DA!), Tempe, Prescott and Tucson. 

I'm still working on studying for my IFR knowledge test, so these are VFR-only options currently.

One route I've been playing with is:  KRHV - KCVH - PXN - AVE - GRAPE - GMN - PMD - KAPV - POMTE - KNTP - KBLH - SALOM - E63 - VPAMT - KTUS for a trip to Tucson.

Any recommendations, stories or warnings for trips to Arizona?

Regards,

R.Katz

3 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I’ve use that basic route because it’s the lowest terrain.

I have made changes as required for winds/weather.

Yep, that was my logic.  However, I'm not familiar yet with the details of these routes and if I'm missing something I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks @ArtVandelay!

I'd do KRHV D-> KTUS  and plan on getting a clearance through the restricted areas over edwards. If you're high enough (+8500 ish) they have usually told me I could fly through. If i get denied that clearance, just go around the R-2515.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

I'd do KRHV D-> KTUS  and plan on getting a clearance through the restricted areas over edwards. If you're high enough (+8500 ish) they have usually told me I could fly through. If i get denied that clearance, just go around the R-2515.

Yeah, that’s what I was going to say as well. If you go high enough you can probably go direct. Do you have oxygen? 

I think you did a good planning job. I have also flown that basic route.

You don't say what model of airplane (TC or not)

The only concern is that its fairly sparse from Apple Valley to tuscon, so make sure youre flying high enough for flight following.  It can also be fairly bumpy if you go through any passes. 

Depending on the month, the DA can get pretty high. In any event , brush up on best power takeoffs and favor longer runways with shallow climb-outs (says the guy who departed LRU at MGTOW in the summer en route to SAT)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

Just make sure to take a pulse ox, then.  No oxygen will certainly limit your options. Good luck with the flight

Thanks @ilovecornfields and @Niko182...nice to know direct will work out at some point.  I do have a pulse oximeter, but no O2 system yet.  I've got an eye on the O2D2...but need to finish off some sailboat maintenance and other plane squawks before I can spring for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, katzhome said:

Thanks @ilovecornfields and @Niko182...nice to know direct will work out at some point.  I do have a pulse oximeter, but no O2 system yet.  I've got an eye on the O2D2...but need to finish off some sailboat maintenance and other plane squawks before I can spring for it.

OD2D is awesome but as long as you have a pulse ox you can make a poor man’s two person oxygen setup pretty cheaply. The tank is about $69. You’ll just need a prescription to fill it “for hypobaric hypoxemia.” This combination will set you back about 1/10 AMU.

6BDD2A12-EAC1-41CB-94D4-04654C180283.jpeg

04CA24B8-1FDB-49DA-B62F-9419067BB4F0.jpeg

BFA61FA9-9D88-4F56-A277-9C839EBE3F72.png

B61E7CDE-C4B7-4D2D-A973-11FBA232D77D.jpeg

B7122331-B9AD-48EE-9858-C1F15C332862.jpeg

• Like 1

OD2D is awesome but as long as you have a pulse ox you can make a poor man’s two person oxygen setup pretty cheaply. The tank is about $69. You’ll just need a prescription to fill it “for hypobaric hypoxemia.” This combination will set you back about 1/10 AMU.
6BDD2A12-EAC1-41CB-94D4-04654C180283.jpeg.7e1823ba4630245ceaf9d2cec717fb2c.jpeg
04CA24B8-1FDB-49DA-B62F-9419067BB4F0.jpeg.cd39614c231f57863d5f0e703ac5af74.jpeg
BFA61FA9-9D88-4F56-A277-9C839EBE3F72.png.25972dc3533d7acfff7ab57a09eeb2f7.png
B61E7CDE-C4B7-4D2D-A973-11FBA232D77D.jpeg.b84227b3918e5554d9d21240018fbfd4.jpeg
B7122331-B9AD-48EE-9858-C1F15C332862.jpeg.0b00eae0f6619d04e3407b35ee9579a0.jpeg

This is what I do, and it makes a world of difference.
Alternatively my local medical supply charges $30/month for a regulator and a few D or E tanks, unlimited fill-ups. (Prescription needed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 2:45 PM, katzhome said:

I'm starting in on my opportunities to "stretch my legs" with N43CA.  One is to travel to potential kids colleges, like Flagstaff (High DA!), Tempe, Prescott and Tucson.  Any recommendations, stories or warnings for trips to Arizona?

Yes, no need to go anywhere but the University of Arizona in Tucson! Let me know when you're coming to town.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

Yes, no need to go anywhere but the University of Arizona in Tucson! Let me know when you're coming to town.

:D

We just finished the “Arizona Experience” last Saturday, flew commercial.  

UofA is looking likely for my daughter!

My son is still working through his options, between aviation and business areas of study.  I was very impressed by the UofA Business department.

I will let you know when we might be heading back down.  We may be checking out NAU, Embry-Riddle and ASU-Mesa in the next month or so.

Very hard for both parents that went to Oregon State!  B)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well it looks like we have 2 kids going to AZ schools.  Daughter to UofA in Tucson and son Embry-Riddle in Prescott!  Hoping to work a practice flight with @donkaye sometime soon to KPRC and need to get some excuses to fly to KTUS.  @KLRDMD I will try to look you up whenever we look to be heading down there.

We now do have O2, so should be able to fly higher as well.

Snapshot of Don's recommended route:

KRHV_KTUS_VFR.PNG

15 hours ago, katzhome said:

Well it looks like we have 2 kids going to AZ schools.  Daughter to UofA in Tucson and son Embry-Riddle in Prescott!  Hoping to work a practice flight with @donkaye sometime soon to KPRC and need to get some excuses to fly to KTUS.  @KLRDMD I will try to look you up whenever we look to be heading down there.

Sounds good.

On 6/26/2023 at 8:21 PM, katzhome said:

We now do have O2, so should be able to fly higher as well.

Snapshot of Don's recommended route:

KRHV_KTUS_VFR.PNG

The only problem with that route is PMD - BLH. If you are IFR they will never give it to you. If you are VFR watch your ass, if you are above 10000 you will be rear ended by Boeing's descending into PSP. They will put you on V386. If you fly V386 to YUCCA, then you can go direct to BLH. besides it will keep you from going over higher terrain that gets rough sometimes. 

• Thanks 1

you may be making it more complicated than it is .  

From NorCal to TUS, pretty much direct. Tehachapi or Apple Valley are both good stops for inexpensive fuel / lunch. And at @ 3000ft elevation  so less time / fuel wasted going down and back up.   Long runway in case DA is high. 

if on a weekend, very good odds you will be cleared through R-2515. Otherwise very small detour.  

Depending on time of the year, morning is usually better for that route.

I had a daughter go to UA 2015-2019. In the many trips there,  I found and recommend :

The boneyard at Davis Monthan. They let me fly over sightseeing at pattern alt on week ends before landing KTUS. The museum there is excellent.

Karchner Caverns

Titan Missile museum ( really a must see )

Old Tucson ( movie set )

Tombstone old west town

Desert museum east by old Tucson

a stuffed animal museum: International Wildlife Museum ( better than it sounds ) 

Mt Lemon ski area

These were all nice things to do together on the many visits over 4 years

Go Wildcats! Bear Down!

At KTUS, I always went to Executive FBO and it was good. Sometimes there would be F-16s in pattern along with the airliners but it was usually pretty easy in-out.

Enjoy these years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tommooney said:

I had a daughter go to UA 2015-2019. In the many trips there,  I found and recommend :

The boneyard at Davis Monthan. They let me fly over sightseeing at pattern alt on week ends before landing KTUS. The museum there is excellent.

Karchner Caverns

Titan Missile museum ( really a must see )

Old Tucson ( movie set )

Tombstone old west town

Desert museum east by old Tucson

a stuffed animal museum: International Wildlife Museum ( better than it sounds ) 

Mt Lemon ski area

These were all nice things to do together on the many visits over 4 years

Go Wildcats! Bear Down!

At KTUS, I always went to Executive FBO and it was good. Sometimes there would be F-16s in pattern along with the airliners but it was usually pretty easy in-out.

Enjoy these years

Great list! You hit all the good stuff!