ASEL ATP in Mooney?

201er

Is there ANY point, advantage, or purpose whatsoever to getting ASEL ATP in Mooney? Running out of ratings to add for fun in my plane. Not interested in getting ratings in anything I don't fly (like multi). Does single engine ATP provide a shortcut to multi ATP or like starting over again?

Any insurance discount @Parker_Woodruff? Any risk of higher scrutiny/enforcement action in the event of a screw up by being higher rated?

1 minute ago, 201er said:

Is there ANY point, advantage, or purpose whatsoever to getting ASEL ATP in Mooney? Running out of ratings to add for fun in my plane. Not interested in getting ratings in anything I don't fly (like multi). Does single engine ATP provide a shortcut to multi ATP or like starting over again?

Any insurance discount @Parker_Woodruff? Any risk of higher scrutiny/enforcement action in the event of a screw up by being higher rated?

Once you have the ASEL ATP, the AMEL ATP is an add-on, so it simplifies getting the new rating. 

Some insurance companies have implied to me that having an ATP merits a discount.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 201er said:

What’s the sim and ground training course requirements these days?  They changed it from a written exam and flight to the atp-ctp which I think costs $$.  Around 2013, everyone who had the hour requirement did their test to avoid the new requirements.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 201er said:

19 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

What’s the sim and ground training course requirements these days?  They changed it from a written exam and flight to the atp-ctp which I think costs $$.  Around 2013, everyone who had the hour requirement did their test to avoid the new requirements.

If you aren’t planning to do anything professionally with an ATP ASEL (or an ATP-AMEL), it’s largely a waste of money just to show you can exercise a higher level of airmanship per the PTS over the Commercial certificate.  As Rags @Ragsf15e pointed out, you’ll need the ATP-CTP course for the ATP-AMEL (around $3k - $5k and 4 to 7 days’ investment of time, depending on where you go to take it), the ATP SEL written ($160’ish), and then someone to give you the practical exam (probably around  $600-$700 these days for an examiner fee).  Insurance might be a bit less, but with everyone bending Mooneys these days, I doubt you’ll see lower premiums.  It would ultimately depend on the carrier and your coverage limits.

If money and your time aren’t factors in your world, then go for it.  To @201er’s point, you’ll be held to a higher standard in the event you do “screw up”, so……..don’t screw up.  :-). You certainly won’t receive a “get out of jail free” card…it will likely be the opposite.

Edited by StevenL757
  • Like 1

ATP Single Engine is basically an instrument rating to tighter standards.  
You do NOT need the ATP-CTP course for the single engine ATP. 
One challenge is to find a DPE authorized to administer the ATP-SE practical test.   
A good overview:

https://www.ifr-magazine.com/technique/atp-the-ultimate-ipc/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 201er said:

Not interested in getting ratings in anything I don't fly

if you don't already have them, a TW endorsement or glider add-on will make you a better stick 'n' rudder pilot, plus cooler aircraft. and you get a BFR

both Van Sant and Blairstown are close enough (although I won't fly my mooney into Van Sant), but you can also go up to Wurstburo 

• Like 2

Flying a Mooney air taxi service?  NYC to BOS faster than any other plane available…!

We need a young buck…

to back fill all of the old bucks…

Brooklyn / NYC / NJ needs another Mooney specific CFII…

:)

Have you ever flown approaches from the right seat?

PP thinking out loud only…

Best regards,

-a-

56 minutes ago, rbp said:

if you don't already have them, a TW endorsement or glider add-on will make you a better stick 'n' rudder pilot, plus cooler aircraft. and you get a BFR

both Van Sant and Blairstown are close enough (although I won't fly my mooney into Van Sant), but you can also go up to Wurstburo 

Have all of those and have flown from those places.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 201er said:

How about doing cfi?  Even if you don’t want to teach, it’s not bad to have.  Can help out friends with flight reviews, and possibly find out you like teaching?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 201er said:

If @Jerry 5TJ is right about not needing atp-ctp, then go for it.  It’s just an instrument check to higher standards.  If you’re looking for something to challenge yourself in more ways, cfi and cfii would be my suggestion even if you don’t use them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 201er said:

Is there ANY point, advantage, or purpose whatsoever to getting ASEL ATP in Mooney? Running out of ratings to add for fun in my plane. Not interested in getting ratings in anything I don't fly (like multi).

I've kicked around the idea of getting a single engine ATP, just because. I already have multi-ATP and CFI, CFII, MEI so those are already covered.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

If @Jerry 5TJ is right about not needing atp-ctp, then go for it.  It’s just an instrument check to higher standards.  If you’re looking for something to challenge yourself in more ways, cfi and cfii would be my suggestion even if you don’t use them.

Historically, he’s usually right. Drives me crazy.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Definitely do not need ATP-CTP for ATP SE. 

15 hours ago, AH-1 Cobra Pilot said:

Once you have the ASEL ATP, the AMEL ATP is an add-on, so it simplifies getting the new rating. 

Are you sure about that?

I am pretty sure that you still need to do the ATP-CPT training to add the ME class rating.

7 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

Are you sure about that?

I am pretty sure that you still need to do the ATP-CPT training to add the ME class rating.

I think you are right about that.

I very well may be the last person to get the multi ATP by the old rules. I was given my temp cert at 4:00 PM on 7-31-16 which was the last day possible. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Parker_Woodruff said:

I know you said you don't want to get ratings in what you don't fly...but maybe I can convince you to bounce out of the cold weather and go get your ASES in Florida.

https://www.ryanseaplanes.com/

i got ASES in alaska many years ago. learning glassy water landings, “sailing”, and confined take offs were fun, but the skills didn’t translate very much into my other flying. What was fun is landing on a lake and fishing off the pontoon! 

17 minutes ago, 201er said:

Lost my attention as soon as I saw this

seaplane.jpg.e9a403c761a8511141ef561c4be8c1c2.jpg

We always discuss keeping both eyes open… which is great for safety discussions…

But…

This is a discussion of the safety of 201er’s wallet….

If he cover’s his right eye just right… he won’t see the pic of the fabulously fuel efficient Mooney staring back at him in the Sea Plane ad… :)

The window is only open for a short period of time… the college savings plan starts getting stronger as the years go on…

In the short term… there may be a risk of recession getting in the way of such fanciful plans….

Strike while the iron is hot!  - Moms everywhere…

Go Sea Plane Rating!

:)

Continuous improvement… the American way.

Go for it!

PP thoughts only, not a sea plane pilot…

Best regards,

-a- 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The owner of the company I worked for in the 90s was a pilot. He had a P210. He got his sea plane rating out in Bullhead City AZ. He said it was the most fun he ever had with his cloths on...

My float rating is the best thing I have ever done for flying fun by far.

I can't even Imagine not owning a float plane now.

• Like 1