Flap Motor

AH-1 Cobra Pilot

On my last landing, my flaps would not extend!  Not a big deal, lots of runway.  After landing, I tried again, also cycling the circuit breaker, but the motor would not run.  The airplane is in my mechanic's shop right now, getting diagnosed.  There are several possible causes, but the worst would be a bad flap motor, because he already informed me that none of his usual sources have a flap motor available. 

Does anyone know of any available flap motors?

When other folks here have had similar problems, it usually turned out to be sticky limit switches.  Your A&P should probably try selecting flaps and tapping on those switches in the belly.  While he’s there, he can also check for voltage at the motor to see if that’s really the problem.

27 minutes ago, AH-1 Cobra Pilot said:

On my last landing, my flaps would not extend!  Not a big deal, lots of runway.  After landing, I tried again, also cycling the circuit breaker, but the motor would not run.  The airplane is in my mechanic's shop right now, getting diagnosed.  There are several possible causes, but the worst would be a bad flap motor, because he already informed me that none of his usual sources have a flap motor available. 

Does anyone know of any available flap motors?

Just be happy that they aren't stuck down. Only time I've had them stuck it was the relay.

I had this happen a few times before I changed the limit switches. In every case, leaving the master on, select flaps up, get out and grab the flap trailing edge and move them up and down briskly. They always came up. 

If you cannot get them down, jack the yoke in and out, or stomp on the floor to see if you can nudge the switch loose. 

1 hour ago, AH-1 Cobra Pilot said:

Problem solved.  It was the upper limit switch that was stuck.  Once cleaned, everything works properly.  Now, for my trip to Gulf Shores tomorrow...

Are you going into KJKA or Foley?  I checked in on going there a few monthes ago on vacation and Foley was much frienflier and less expensive.