Vibrator location

30 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Yeah, let's call it a vibrator.

If you like, do you know why it vibrates?

It vibrates because the coil is just a simple transformer, a transformer will increase or decrease voltage if AC current is run through it, but if you feed it 12 VDC you will get nothing out of it, but if you feed it pulsating DC it will act like AC current and the transformer will work, so hence the vibrator to turn DC into pulsating DC.

An automobile coil works only because it gets a pulse of DC, but hook it to a battery and nothing happens.

A more modern car with a distributor ignition gets one spark per cylinder firing sequence, however a trembler coil will continue to fire as long as it’s grounded, the old Model-T’s etc grounded the coil for about 25% or so of engine revolution, so they could tolerate much leaner mixtures and were often easier to start than distributor ignitions. 

Interesting to me that after over 100 years the most modern ignition systems bring us back to a single coil per cylinder.

So how much more reliable could an aircraft ignition be if it had a separate ignition system for each spark plug?

Its certainly possible with modern electronics

• Thanks 1

My single coil per cylinder cars…

Would get 100kmi before the coils would disappoint…

We would need a more substantial device on our plane’s plugs if we intend to mount eight or 12 of these things under the hood, on a shaking engine…

They are a bit expensive, but kinda easy to replace…

PP thoughts only, my cars typically have a life of 200kmi…

Best regards,

-a-

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

My single coil per cylinder cars…

Would get 100kmi before the coils would disappoint…

We would need a more substantial device on our plane’s plugs if we intend to mount eight or 12 of these things under the hood, on a shaking engine…

They are a bit expensive, but kinda easy to replace…

PP thoughts only, my cars typically have a life of 200kmi…

Best regards,

-a-

I have one vehicle with about 140K.  And two in the 90K range.  I have had to replace ONE coil out of 18 on those three vehicles.

And 35,000 miles is about 1000 hours, so 100K miles is about 3,000 hours.

• Like 1