The Mooney "Anomaly"

TheMooneyAnomaly

Hi, Friends!  After a year of panel, interior, powertrain, and other updates, I have finally picked my 67 (68) M20F up from the final major planned maintenance - paint.

Mural artist Matt Kress, in conjunction with Ace Aircraft Refinishing in Bartow KBOW, extended his artwork to an airplane for the first time.

After a brief planning discussion, all artistic control was given to Matt... and one rule - I was NOT allowed to receive any visual updates (my idea).  

The 'unveiling' was this weekend and I could not be happier!

Allow me to introduce "Anomaly."

image.jpeg.a45b39e9ed1f9bd2713e4c240ce413e5.jpeg

image.jpeg.6148980fd0cd8e3451a7f406a048682b.jpeg

image.jpeg.48f87a8ce3952f0600136084fe08e566.jpeg

image.jpeg.985d6f58cc221e6829866f9ffda8a553.jpeg

image.jpeg.ea5af2e0f4bb9d87a28e9e02c633f814.jpeg

image.jpeg.f0f79b5a1f3a360d98e08f62f6ae18ab.jpeg

image.jpeg.378fe91957f5dd6ff2b6520448722e10.jpeg

image.jpeg.a43e139509eb5f998279818c042c4008.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Hey that paint job looks great! That panel also looks sweet! Congratulations, plane looks awesome. Lot of work went into this paint job.

My son, who is 16 said yesterday when we were flying to Sedona and looking for traffic, "people should paint their planes other than white so that you can see them" I need to show him this!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Do those numbers meet the regulations? I thought they needed to be over a solid contrasting color.

I believe the requirement is that they contrast in color to the background and be legible.

As that’s all up to interpretation of course I believe unless the intent to camouflage the number is obvious you are good.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2017-title14-vol1/xml/CFR-2017-title14-vol1-part45.xml

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Do those numbers meet the regulations? I thought they needed to be over a solid contrasting color.

AC 45-2E  https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_45-2E.pdf

This AC describes an acceptable means, but not the only means, to comply with the requirements for identifying aircraft and aircraft engines with identification plates, identification marking requirements for propellers, and marking aircraft with nationality and registration marks. However, if you use the means described in the AC, you must follow it in all important respects.

7.1 Placing Other Text or Graphics between the Two Parts of an N-Number.

7.1.1 You may not place any text or graphic between any of the letters or numbers in the N-number unless the aircraft is an antique aircraft.

7.2 Placing Text or Graphics Elsewhere on the Aircraft. You may put text or graphics on areas of the aircraft other than those reserved for the N-number. Ask a local FAA inspector to ensure that the text or graphic does not impede or degrade the legibility of the N-number.

7.3 N-Number Legibility. The N-number is required to be legible and written in capital Roman style letters without any ornamentation. You may use shading or a border only if it makes the number more legible. Use the following guidelines:

7.3.1 Make sure the color contrasts sufficiently with the color of the fuselage to make it easy to read. Be especially careful when the background is highly decorated, as in checkering. Consider applying the requirements of 14 CFR 23.811(c)(7)(ii) or 14 CFR 25.811(f)(2), Emergency exit marking, as a test of whether the color of the N-number contrasts sufficiently with the background.

7.3.2 Check the reflectance of external markings. Using electro-optical instruments or photometer card sets is an acceptable means of verifying reflectance, but these instruments are not required to establish reflectance. The FAA considers a 12-inch number legible if you can read it from 500 feet away, in a horizontal line, and perpendicular to the side of the aircraft during daylight hours, without using an optical aid such as binoculars.

7.3.3 If you question whether an N-number is legible, because of either color or reflectance, check with your local FAA inspector.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StPeteM20F said:

Hi, Friends!  After a year of panel, interior, powertrain, and other updates, I have finally picked my 67 (68) M20F up from the final major planned maintenance - paint.

Mural artist Matt Kress, in conjunction with Ace Aircraft Refinishing in Bartow KBOW, extended his artwork to an airplane for the first time.

After a brief planning discussion, all artistic control was given to Matt... and one rule - I was NOT allowed to receive any visual updates (my idea).  

The 'unveiling' was this weekend and I could not be happier!

Allow me to introduce "Anomaly."

image.jpeg.a45b39e9ed1f9bd2713e4c240ce413e5.jpeg

image.jpeg.6148980fd0cd8e3451a7f406a048682b.jpeg

image.jpeg.48f87a8ce3952f0600136084fe08e566.jpeg

image.jpeg.985d6f58cc221e6829866f9ffda8a553.jpeg

image.jpeg.ea5af2e0f4bb9d87a28e9e02c633f814.jpeg

image.jpeg.f0f79b5a1f3a360d98e08f62f6ae18ab.jpeg

image.jpeg.378fe91957f5dd6ff2b6520448722e10.jpeg

image.jpeg.a43e139509eb5f998279818c042c4008.jpeg

image.jpeg

Very very nice!!

Congratulations! Here is wishing you many years of safe and enjoyable hours in your wonderful airplane!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Very creative - "Salvador Dali meets Picasso" . That must have been an unbelievable amount of work.

You could've asked for a small one ounce container of touch-up paint for each color when you picked it up. . but then you would have been over gross for the trip home  :)

Ha! Fortunately, it is just Montana 94 spray paint in shaker cans!  45 colors. Literally. The shop tested the paint on their base and below their clear several months ago.  The paint is super thin and you cannot feel lines through the clear where the color transitions occur.

Funny thing you mention Dali & Picasso - My home airport, KSPG Albert Whitted St. Pete FL, is immediately adjacent to the Dali museum - and the artist Matt Kress, when posting about this, quoted Picasso - "The world today doesn't make sense, so why should I paint pictures that do?"

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, haymak3r said:

Did you do the interior yourself? Or have somebody else. It looks like jaeger aviation spatial interior. Been curious about it, as I need to tackle my interior at some point :)

Plane looks great!!!

Bruce Jaeger himself came up and installed his "Spatial Interior" this past summer.  

The seat upholstery was custom made by Georges with Gemico, local here near St. Petersburg, FL.

The carpet is from SCS.

• Like 2