Pilot job flying a Mooney.

4 hours ago, Pinecone said:

They are wrong.

I happen to have the 1991 FAR/AIM in my hands.

ATP Aeronautical experience.

61.155(b)(1) At least 250 hours PIC, in an airplane, or as a copilot performing the duties and functions of a PIC under supervision of a PIC or a comfbination thereof, of which at least 100 hours was XC and 35 hours were night.

61.155(b) (2) At least 1500 hours of flight time as a pilot including

(i) 500 hours XC flight time

(ii) 100 hours night flight time

(iii)75 hours of actual or simulated instrument time, of which at least 50 hours was in flight.

You’re correct. I was mistaken and the plethora of bad information online only served to reinforce my misunderstanding!

10 hours ago, Hank said:

Have you checked starting salaries at regionals? It's less than this Mooney-flying job . . . . .

The point of taking the regional job was not as a final career but to use it as a stepping stone to gain the experience to head into a more lucrative flying job.  Yes the pay may be lower but it is not as bad as some may think and for a young twenty something kid with no wife/husband or kids it may be a good deal to leap into a higher paying job.  
This Mooney flying job will not give you the experience needed to fly corporate if that is what one wishes to do.  You need multi engine turbine time for a lot of corporate flying.  This Mooney job is not that.

4 hours ago, Shadrach said:

You’re correct. I was mistaken and the plethora of bad information online only served to reinforce my misunderstanding!

Imagine that, reporters not letting the facts get in the way of their story…:wacko:

News reports have become the worst place to get facts… 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hank said:

@Pinecone, what your old FAR doesn't say in this section is that back then a Comm. pilot could fly right seat (first officer, copilot, chief map holder, whatever), with just a CPL and 250 hours. Starting in 2010, the right seat began requiring ATP.

I have only said that about 3 - 5 times. :D

Yes, you could.  But that does not change the fact that the ATP was still 1500 hours.

Two different issues.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AIREMATT said:

Imagine that, reporters not letting the facts get in the way of their story…:wacko:

News reports have become the worst place to get facts… 

I'm sure the difference between a commercial certificate and an ATP certificate would be lost on the intended audience of most of those articles. hell, most PILOTs don't understand simple things like the difference between certificate and rating (and, ugh, pilots "license"), and class and category. the onus is on the reader to understand the context.  just because a reporter writes E=MC^2, it doesn't mean he's reporting all the facts.

otoh, AOPA magazine wrote: "With regard to the 2010 law that requires all pilots flying for an FAR Part 121 airline to have an ATP certificate..." https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2013/may/flight-training-magazine/career-pilot . I'm sure EAA, ALPA, and NBAA got it right as well

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rbp said:

I'm sure the difference between a commercial certificate and an ATP certificate would be lost on the intended audience of most of those articles. hell, most PILOTs don't understand simple things like the difference between certificate and rating (and, ugh, pilots "license"), and class and category. the onus is on the reader to understand the context.  just because a reporter writes E=MC^2, it doesn't mean he's reporting all the facts.

That's a funny thing for mechanics as well.    When making a maintenance record in a logbook FAR 43.9 sez:

"If the work performed on the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part has been performed satisfactorily, the signature, certificate number, and kind of certificate held by the person approving the work."

And most sign the record with "A&P" and their number, although A&P are ratings and not a kind of certificate.   I've long been tempted to sign maintenance records "Mechanic" and my number, which is more conformant to the regulation, but people will think I'm doing it wrong.  ;)

Hmm, I never realized or thought about it.

But it is a Mechanic certificate with Airframe and Powerplant Ratings.  But Part 65 just says Mechanic Certificate or Certified Mechanic.

Although one FAA wid page uses the term Aircraft Mechanic Technician or Aircraft Mechanic.

Since Raptor got a turbine job…

Who is our young buck filling the slot of new guy looking to get to the next level?

What makes this job want to use a Mooney?  Oil and gas drilling sensor business?  Searching for Nat gas leaks by air?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I am not a psychologist, but find this thread extremely interesting from the point of view that a cool sounding job, became all about airlines, ATP, ratings, etc.

For me if looking at flying jobs, this would be a million times more appealing than any airline job.

For some, an airline job sounds like a prison sentence, not a good thing.

39 minutes ago, Canadian Gal said:

I fly airplanes for fun; I fly airplanes for a paycheck.

Once you realize the difference, it’s no longer a prison sentence: it’s a great paying job that gives me more than half the month off.  As a bonus, nobody ever calls me on the off days, and the view out my “office” window can’t be beat.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Canadian Gal said:

I am not a psychologist, but find this thread extremely interesting from the point of view that a cool sounding job, became all about airlines, ATP, ratings, etc.

For me if looking at flying jobs, this would be a million times more appealing than any airline job.

Agreed,   I looked at the airlines and decided it was not for me.

Threads like this, like an in person conversation, occasionally goes in odd directions. :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Canadian Gal said:

Probably for those who cannot make the distinction between a job and a hobby.  Kerry McCauley wrote that in his Ferry Pilot books.  A Sunday pilot always has the chance to just cancel the flight and go watch a movie.  A professional pilot has to accomplish the mission despite his mood, the weather and other circumstances.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Canadian Gal said:

its a 20k a  month 16 day sentence. Some might say thats worth the trade. some not. Also some have pre-formed opinions about how good or bad the job is with no data. I hear people all the time trashing airline jobs, but they've never been there done that.

I fly airplanes for real money, but I work on planes because I can make a difference and it interests me. And I own a plane for a lot of the reasons we all do, to go somewhere, for fun, for developing and maintaining skills.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I fly entirely for fun but I can’t help wondering if folks bashing flying for the airlines are just jealous.  Why the negativity?   You do you, Boo.  

I was wondering why so many people trashed this pretty cool sounding flying job the OP posted.

I dated an airline pilot.

Have an uncle, cousin, and friend who are airline pilots.

Sure not something that I would want to do.

I think the primary bashing…

Is related to the starting salary…

Which kind of gets in the way for some people…

Not much different than starting any job with low experience… except the amount of competition available for the number of jobs available…

One of my Home Drome CFIs just earned his 1500hrs and got a turbine job…  went to school with my son a decade ago… :)

I think one of the biggest challenges of the past… not being able to get informed about the choices, and how to build a plan… finding a mentor…

MS has some great mentors… but few people starting out on the path…

The internet is full of how to get there…

Holy cow the education can be expensive…. And time to get there can be long… or military service can be an extra challenge on top of things…

Same thing goes for getting informed about military choices…. It really helps to have a good mentor… :)

PP thoughts only, this job looked interesting to me…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

People are different.  What is a great job to you is not a great job to me and vice versa.

My personality is not suited to an airline job for a number of reasons.  I have a number of friends who are or wear airline pilots.  And they loved their job.  I have a few that are airline pilots and HATE it.

Does it pay well?  Yes.  And that is nice.  But still not for me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

Thanks.

As an over 3 million mile flyer, I am glad that are people that enjoy flying for the airlines. :D

Just not for me.

Its just shy of 250,000 miles to the moon, or two round trips per million.  So you got 6 round trips to the moon and back under your belt.

Only problem is the airplane wings don't make much lift in space.  Well there's other problems too..