Circuit Breaker Popping

Vetterun

2 hours ago, Vetterun said:

1986 252 TSE - #2 Alt Field breaker keeps opening when I increase engine rpm. Intermittent problem. Sometimes the red alert light comes on fully, sometimes dimly. Can a circuit breaker partially wear out and become "weak"? Any thoughts?

When you say it keeps popping, are you continuing to re-set it in the air?

15 hours ago, AIREMATT said:

Voltage regulator wearing out?

and if it turns out to be this, Don Maxwell can service the VRs unless it's labeled IAI (International Avionics Inc.); I think Consolidated Aircraft Supply can also service them.  (edit: if it's labeled IAI, then send it off to International Avionics, Inc in Texas and they can service.)

• Like 1

thanks for the ideas. I was trying to re-set it in the air, but not using the full process as described in the POH. I'll do that today on the ground. The alternator has been sent out for testing and returned fine. Wiring pretty thoroughly checked. Next up is the regulator, then the circuit breaker.  Will update on progress. Thanks again for the suggestions. The  Systems section of thePOH, which I hadn't checked, was most informative with excellent diagrams. DOH on me!

On 1/28/2023 at 7:55 PM, LANCECASPER said:

When you say it keeps popping, are you continuing to re-set it in the air?

Yes, but only by turning the alternator rocker switch off then resetting the circuit breaker. Still, probably not wise while in the air. The full regulator reset involves turning off the communications equipment  switch, then the master switch off and back on. I'll do that on the ground today.

3 minutes ago, Vetterun said:

Yes, but only by turning the alternator rocker switch off then resetting the circuit breaker. Still, probably not wise while in the air. The full regulator reset involves turning off the communications equipment  switch, then the master switch off and back on. I'll do that on the ground today.

Yeah the natural urge is to re-set since we have the hope that it will just fix itself. But since the breakers are there to protect the wiring - the last thing anyone wants to deal with is an in-flight fire. Good job getting it back on the ground safely, where it's much easier to figure these things out.

• Like 1