Does anyone know where to find tie down rings for an M20C?

Fusco

I am new to the Mooney world and airplane ownership in general and recently bought a m20c and noticed it did not have any tie down rings on the wings. I kind of assumed that maybe it just doesn't have them but I was told it certainly is supposed to. Before I go and buy a pair that will certainly not fit with my luck, does anyone know where to get them? 

19 minutes ago, Fusco said:

I am new to the Mooney world and airplane ownership in general and recently bought a m20c and noticed it did not have any tie down rings on the wings. I kind of assumed that maybe it just doesn't have them but I was told it certainly is supposed to. Before I go and buy a pair that will certainly not fit with my luck, does anyone know where to get them? 

I think they are simple eye bolts, I bought the LASAR ones myself as I think they are good jack points.

POH I think says remove them before flight I believe, and that may be while yours are gone. But I see it being a good sign, I see it saying airplane was hangared, not tied down.

I’m a bad guy, I don’t remove mine or I’d lose the things.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

I think they are simple eye bolts, I bought the LASAR ones myself as I think they are good jack points.

POH I think says remove them before flight I believe, and that may be while yours are gone. But I see it being a good sign, I see it saying airplane was hangared, not tied down.

I’m a bad guy, I don’t remove mine or I’d lose the things.

Yea I believe it was Hangared so I see what you mean why that would be a good sign. I don't think I'd remove them before every flight, I would certainly lose them as well! 

Check, but I think it's a 5/16-18 thread. You can buy a generic part called a lifting shoulder eyebolt (the lifting part is important to make sure it is strong enough, the shoulder is what causes it to seat against the wing skin when tightened).

815cooUJGTL._SX522_.jpg.2cdbbee68e7528f3d2e78396e727ac2d.jpg

Edited by PT20J
Corrected thread size: Was 15/16-18. should be 5/16-18
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, PT20J said:

Check, but I think it's a 15/16-18 thread. You can buy a generic part called a lifting shoulder eyebolt (the lifting part is important to make sure it is strong enough, the shoulder is what causes it to seat against the wing skin when tightened).

That is one BIG bolt for an airplane. :D

• Haha 1

On 1/28/2023 at 9:04 AM, Fusco said:

Yea I believe it was Hangared so I see what you mean why that would be a good sign. I don't think I'd remove them before every flight, I would certainly lose them as well! 

Check the mounting threads before buying lasar combo units. Somehow the threads get damaged over time and are re-threaded to 3/8-18 or eyes are just left out.

my situation exactly, the original threads are damaged , the original eyes drop out, and I want to fit the Lasar ones. A repair using a helicoil repair kit has been suggested . I am based in Europe so need to source the correct helicoil kit. Should I look for 5/16-18 or 3/8-18 as suggested above?

Edited by podair

47 minutes ago, podair said:

my situation exactly, the original threads are damaged , the original eyes drop out, and I want to fit the Lasar ones. A repair using a helicoil repair kit has been suggested . I am based in Europe so need to source the correct helicoil kit. Should I look for 5/16-18 or 3/8-18 as suggested above?

Many years ago, I taxied out of a tiedown with a chain still attached. Pop. Pulls the ring right out. I took it to my mechanic and he laughed at me and handed me a helicoil kit. I was able to use the original tiedown eye afterwards.

47 minutes ago, podair said:

3/8”-18 was an observation, not a suggestion. 5/15” is original and would be best if hole is not too large. 3/8” may be only option to fit tiedown eyes without extensive work.

My old Mooney had a stripped out tie down. I just got an eyebolt with longer threads and put a nut in the wing. The hole is right next to a structural member so I had to grind the side of the nut away. This made it so I didn’t need a wrench on it. The only downside was I had to take an inspection plate off every time I wanted to jack the plane.

2 hours ago, podair said:

5/16 and get the proper drill bit too, you may need to clean it out a little

But as 8mm is so close I’d be tempted to get an 8mm lifting bolt and helicoil.

Go with the Lasar deal…

they have the Jack point in place…

they look aerodynamic

they are shiny…

When they get squashed by the jack… it’s only a little squashed….  :)

For the tail parts… make sure you know what year you have… the two hole centers changed dimension around 1965 or so… (part looks like a handle)

Lasar or any MSC can sell the tie down rings… my M20C had funky rings that were oriented with the airflow.. thinner in the direction of flow compared to a normal eyebolt…

PP thoughts only,

-a-